PDA

View Full Version : Tommy Carruthers says he can beat bas rutten?

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

bad credit
7/09/2006 7:57pm,
Whatever, you still can't deny the good showing JKD fighters have had in MMA. Erik Paulson was a Shooto champ, Maurice Smith was a kickboxing champ and former UFC Heavyweight champ. Randy Coutre went and studied at a JKD gym before beating Maurice Smith to become the champion. Dan Henderson went to the same gym; Straigh Blast. Seriously, I don't get it. why do all the MMA and BJJ guys on here worship Matt Thornton, but bash JKD? He does JKD! Oh sure, he evolved it and took "aliveness" to a new level, even beyond what most JKD schools have devolved into, but that's what JKD was always supposed to do; continually grow.

Doctor Shaft
7/09/2006 7:58pm,
Despite any principals involved with JKD in terms of taking in other martial arts, Bruce Lee certainly didn't emphasize that aspect, and if he did, then why weren't there a rampant number of MMA practitioners during his day and time. Why is that even after his death, no one was in a hurry to become an MMA person, but instead, a "JKD master" which we know today are NOT MMA practitioners.

Don't over-inflate Bruce Lee's legacy. I won't say the guy had nothing useful or important to offer, but to say that he created "MMA" is ridiculous. MMA and JKD are not synonomous.

Doctor Shaft
7/09/2006 8:00pm,
Whatever, you still can't deny the good showing JKD fighters have had in MMA. Erik Paulson was a Shooto champ, Maurice Smith was a kickboxing champ and former UFC Heavyweight champ. Randy Coutre went and studied at a JKD gym before beating Maurice Smith to become the champion. Dan Henderson went to the same gym; Straigh Blast. Seriously, I don't get it. why do all the MMA and BJJ guys on here worship Matt Thornton, but bash JKD? He does JKD! Oh sure, he evolved it and took "aliveness" to a new level, even beyond what most JKD schools have devolved into, but that's what JKD was always supposed to do; continually grow.

Huh? How is that possible? Are they "JKD" fighters? Do they list themselves as "JKD?" Do they tell people, "I am a JKD master"? Matt thorton is a JKD practitioner? I've never heard of this.

I was under the impression that JKD was, first and foremost, merely a philosophy for martial art thinking, not an actual style. And Coutre went to a JKD gym? What JKD gym was this, and why isn't SpikeTV currently pimping this factoid along with overblown montages of Bruce Lee's image?

AAAhmed46
7/09/2006 8:04pm,
I hope he's joking just like you are.

Bas hasnt come on his forum for a while since he's been training.

I wonder if he'll actually take this seriously?

EDIT: When he reads it i mean.

mrblackmagic
7/09/2006 8:06pm,

We all know those guys wouldn't be any where without their trapping and anti-grappling.

bad credit
7/09/2006 8:12pm,
Bruce didn't invent MMA. JKD's philosophy did influence it, though, from the conditioning to the adding of grappling to the gloves.

mrblackmagic
7/09/2006 8:17pm,
Please stop.

AAAhmed46
7/09/2006 8:21pm,
"JKD" philosophy has been around long before bruce lee.

EDIT: That said, some really good JKD is around, JKDChick is a good example.

bad credit
7/09/2006 8:21pm,
Randy Coutre and Dan Henderson both went to Matt Thornton's Straight Blast Gym. It's listed as a JKD school. It's called the STRAIGHT BLAST gym, after Bruce's trademark punch, for crying out loud.

Maurice Smith used to list his style as JKD when he was in the UFC.

Erik Paulson Listed JKD as his style when he fought in Extreme Fighting.

Hell, Ron Balicki was a JKD fighter in Shooto, but I can't seem to find his record.

I even saw a JKD kid win with headbutts once on a Russian IFC tape, not that that's got anything to do with anything.

AAAhmed46
7/09/2006 8:28pm,
Look, JKD isnt bad.

But saying Tommy whats-his-face can beat Bas Rutten is just stupid stylist superiority complex.

The concept of how 'if there were no rules i could beat any MMA fighter'

Well alot of MMA fighters also train in RBSD as well.

bad credit
7/09/2006 8:44pm,
Yes, Bas would probably Dangita Dangida all over Tommy. Yes, many JKD and Taijutsu people have reminded of that thread "Do you hate other practitioners of your art?" Yes, saying that you couldn't win under limiting MMA rules and then saying that you don't believe in ugly, unspiritual streetfighting is bullshido.

For the record, I think Bruce adding grappling to JKD was good. Matt Thornton bringing back aliveness was good. Matt adding BJJ was good. Dropping Kali and Escrima was bad. What the Dog Brothers do is good. Matt bringing in that new anti-knife program was good. (STAB? I forget the exact name.)

Matt dropping WC trapping for Greco Roman clinching and takedowns? That's worthy of another thread, and I don't want to touch that timebomb with a ten foot pole right now.

mrblackmagic
7/09/2006 8:48pm,
Yes, Bas would probably Dangita Dangida all over Tommy. Yes, many JKD and Taijutsu people have reminded of that thread "Do you hate other practitioners of your art?" Yes, saying that you couldn't win under limiting MMA rules and then saying that you don't believe in ugly, unspiritual streetfighting is bullshido.

Matt dropping WC trapping for Greco Roman clinching and takedowns? That's worthy of another thread, and I don't want to touch that timebomb with a ten foot pole right now

You are fucking with us aren't you? Who are you really?

TehDeadlyDimMak
7/09/2006 9:47pm,
Randy Coutre and Dan Henderson both went to Matt Thornton's Straight Blast Gym. It's listed as a JKD school. It's called the STRAIGHT BLAST gym, after Bruce's trademark punch, for crying out loud.

Maurice Smith used to list his style as JKD when he was in the UFC.

Erik Paulson Listed JKD as his style when he fought in Extreme Fighting.

Hell, Ron Balicki was a JKD fighter in Shooto, but I can't seem to find his record.

I even saw a JKD kid win with headbutts once on a Russian IFC tape, not that that's got anything to do with anything.

Randy Couture, Dan Henderson, and Maurice Smith may have attended a "JKD" school, but in no way are they representing JKD.

None of them consider themselves JKD fighters nor do they have long enough training in JKD to represent their time there in any way.

Couture and Henderson are wrestlers and Smith is a kickboxer. That is what you can gauge their fighting by.

Just pointing out that these examples can be used as good showings from "JKD fighters." I know they listed their styles as whatever, but that often means nothing. Tank Abbott was listed as a "pitfighter" and all his experience came from boxing and wrestling.

selfcritical
7/09/2006 10:01pm,
Tommy seems kind of short on the communication skills, too.

"i don't teach sparring. I teach fighting{extra manly pose}"

IzzyDaHedgehog
7/09/2006 11:24pm,

Just because it's a "JKD" school doesn't mean that he trains in "JKD." In the fucking Tao of Jeet Kune Do, Bruce Lee specifically said that JKD is NOT A STYLE. Matt Thorton's school teaches Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Kickboxing, and other things. I have yet to find a video where he or one of his affiliates makes a big deal about Bruce Lee or Jeet Kune Do.

Besides, Matt Thorton alone does not compensate for all the other "Wing Chun with a side of Crappling" schools.

black mariah
7/09/2006 11:50pm,
This guy looks like he's never actually punched anyone in his life.