PDA

View Full Version : TRADITIONAL FIGHTING

Pages : [1] 2 3

Sensei Mak
5/27/2003 10:31am,
Im sure this has been covered at some point in time on the website but thats ok Im going to say it again. True traditional martial arts is no different from your UFC/NHB fighting types. The reason traditional has such a bad name today is due to the massive watering down it has recieved over the past 100 years. Anyone who truly trains in a traditional system will be no different than someone who trains BJJ or some other full contact style. Kyoshukin has tried to "retraditionalize" Karate with seemingly great effects.

Simps
5/27/2003 10:32am,
It's a sad thing that there's no Kyokushin school nearby ...

I'd love to give it a try sometime.

Simps

Punisher
5/27/2003 11:21am,
Most traditional arts are incomplete. They focus just a small subsection of fighting as a whole and try to be really, really good at it.

This leaves them vunerable to someone who is really, really good at something else that has a strategic advantage, i.e. most forms of grappling over most forms of striking.

That is why today's professional fighters all basically have a hybrid style of MT, BJJ, and Amateur wrestling. There are no more single style competitors out there.

<marquee>Dragon , Snake , Tiger , Leopard , Crane. R.M.F.A.F.T.A.T.! </marquee>

Sensei Mak
5/27/2003 1:57pm,
Well most traditional arts that i know of cover ground as well as standup...for example in Okinawan Karate the entire Naihanchi series of Katas were made to teach ground fighting techniques. They spent plenty of time working on their grappling.

Punisher
5/27/2003 2:29pm,
I would respectfully disagree. My schools basic fighting theory takes all of hand to hand combat and divides it into 5 different subsections. I have very rarely found any art, my own included, that is really strong in more than one or two of these.

Usually and art has it's major strength one area and will take little pieces from others to try to round itself out.

If you want more info on my school's theory of combat, it is not style specific, it's detailed in ny Five Animal Fighting Theory article here on the sight. It not just separations like striking/grappling, punching/kicking, offense/defense.

If you haven't guessed my sig is a advertisment for the article. R.M.F.A.F.T.A.T stands for Read My Five Animal Fighting Theory Article Today.

Kuroneko
5/27/2003 2:36pm,
Punisher, do you have a link for your Five Animal Fighting Theory Article?
I can't find it...

Punisher
5/27/2003 2:51pm,
Just go to general articles and type Five into the search box. That's how I find it, when I want to see how many people have been reading it.

If anyone does read it, leave a comment or send me a PM about what you think, good or bad.

Edited by - Punisher on May 27 2003 15:29:20

The Wastrel
5/27/2003 3:37pm,
I'm constantly fighting tradition.

"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - for ever."

Kuroneko
5/27/2003 3:40pm,
Thx...

Blade-Of-Katana
5/27/2003 3:45pm,
I like TMA's and all, but until someone proves that TMA's can compete than Ill be alittle biased.

Shura
5/27/2003 3:53pm,
Nothing should be wasted. There are TMA's out there that teach good and valuable techniques. Fighting has always been fighting and all MMA are based on TMA anyway. The trouble is the way much of TMA is taught ie badly with no real application. TMA has the potential to be very useful though.

How many Zen masters does it take to change a light bulb?

> Two. One to change it, and one not to change it.

Rashomon
5/27/2003 4:27pm,
I would like to see these Okinawan Karate grappling techniques. If they're anything like TKD ground fighting... well... not thanks. All I was taught in TKD was to kick a standing opponent while I was on the ground. If these other styles teach more than that, I would like to see it. No. I'm serious. No sarcasm intended.

TaeBo_Master
5/27/2003 4:43pm,
I've always agreed with you Sensei Mak. But I think it goes beyond just the school. It's also up to the practicioner to seek out good schools who will teach him what he needs to know and teach it well. It is also up to the practicioner to realize where he weak areas are and to train hard to make those his strong areas.

--A poor band player I was, but now I am crocodile king. --

Sensei Mak
5/27/2003 8:45pm,
The okinawan techniques are very rough and brutal. They are aimed at hurting someone right away and not gaining some type of better "position".

Sensei Mak
5/27/2003 8:46pm,
And your right about the practitioner. You have to use your own logic. Heres something that might help you all in your "quest" to become better.

Think of your instructor/style as a finger, the finger points at the moon. If all you do is look at the finger you will never see what that finger is trying to show you.

Sensei Mak
5/27/2003 8:47pm,
And most traditional systems arent incomplete. Its just over the past 100 years a lot of the instructors have neglected to teach it in its fullest.