PDA

View Full Version : JKD Streetfighting - EPISODE 2 - Dumog

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

T3hJudoChop
7/04/2006 2:52pm,
I was wondering if anyone had seen this video?

http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docId=4909251815067722723

or

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4909251815067722723&q=dumog
for the media player impaired.

I'm not the world's foremost takedown expert, but I wasn't particularly impressed with the takedowns presented here. I want to steer clear of "alive" commentary since this is just an instructional, but the problem I see, at least with the first takedown is that all you really have to do is step out to avoid the takedown.

The only other dumog experience I've had was at a Gaje seminar a couple years back, and I wasn't very impressed with what I saw back then either. From what I understand, that's Paul Vunak in the video, who is apparently well-respected in the MA community. I was wondering if people who have had more experience in dumog could comment.

I agree with the basic premise, that offbalancing your opponent is very useful in a fight, but I didn't see very good examples of that offbalancing here.

colonelpong2
7/04/2006 3:05pm,
"Dumog is going to guarantee that you're NEVER going to get hit by a solid blow"

"No one... even mike tyson can hit you as long as you are grabbing his head"

Whatr the hell kind of claims are these? Ridiculous!

But as to the take downs, they look like they would work against someone who stands still, dopesnt even think about resisting and also voluntarily thropws himself in the direction you want to go in when you start.

Shaolinz
7/04/2006 3:09pm,
Oh look... _ing _un.

Moleculo
7/04/2006 3:18pm,
Paul has been actively doing martial arts for 36 years.

He has trained Seals and Law enforcement (FBI, DEA)

I've nothing against it save the _ing _un aspect of it.

Moleculo
7/04/2006 3:41pm,
"Dumog is going to guarantee that you're NEVER going to get hit by a solid blow"
If Dumog is the ability to keep a person off balance then that statement seems less ridiculous.
An off balance fighter is virtually unable to mount a sucessful attack.

That is a complete misquote. What he said was: "IF you are pulling the head, headbutting, kneeing and elbowing and KEEPING HIM OFF BALANCE, he's not going to be able to hurt you."

At least make an attempt to be factually accurate.

NoMan
7/04/2006 3:45pm,

Whatr the hell kind of claims are these? Ridiculous!

But as to the take downs, they look like they would work against someone who stands still, dopesnt even think about resisting and also voluntarily thropws himself in the direction you want to go in when you start.

Interesting. Dan Inasanto's Dumog video uses escrimas, he doesn't start on the no holds portion for a bit. His takedowns are nothing like the one's Paul is showing there. I'll post the clip if I can get Adobe Premiere working again.

NoMan
7/04/2006 3:47pm,
From what Inasanto is saying, the Dumog is from FMA whenever someone would lose their escrima stick. I'm not sure if _ing _un uses it.

Matt Bernius
7/04/2006 3:48pm,
Interesting. Dan Inasanto's Dumog video uses escrimas, he doesn't start on the no holds portion for a bit. His takedowns are nothing like the one's Paul is showing there. I'll post the clip if I can get Adobe Premiere working again.Escimas? Do you mean sticks?

Vanuk's material is similiar to what I've been exposed to through Pekiti and Gaje's line. As THX put it, the general idea is to overload and control the head. In Pekiti, it seems like every throw ends with a neck manipulation/break.

- Matt

colonelpong2
7/04/2006 3:51pm,
"If Dumog is the ability to keep a person off balance then that statement seems less ridiculous.
An off balance fighter is virtually unable to mount a sucessful attack."

But to say "GUARANTEES"?

"That is a complete misquote. What he said was: "IF you are pulling the head, headbutting, kneeing and elbowing and KEEPING HIM OFF BALANCE, he's not going to be able to hurt you."

At least make an attempt to be factually accurate"

Ooooh sorry if my typoing speed wasnt quick enough to catch everything, but your last sentence is way the hell out of line. Get over it.

Moleculo
7/04/2006 3:56pm,
But to say "GUARANTEES"? Notice I said "less ridiculous".

Ooooh sorry if my typoing speed wasnt quick enough to catch everything, but your last sentence is way the hell out of line. Get over it.

Best thing to do when you're wrong is to suck it up and not turn into a giant ass.

colonelpong2
7/04/2006 3:57pm,
"Notice I said "less ridiculous"."

Touche on this point

"Best thing to do when you're wrong is to suck it up and not turn into a giant ass"
Grow up on this point

Moleculo
7/04/2006 4:00pm,
There is a quote function button provided by the forum in each post.

Please be a dear and use it.

colonelpong2
7/04/2006 4:01pm,
There is a quote function button provided by the forum in each post.

Please be a dear and use it.

Why certainly

Moleculo
7/04/2006 4:04pm,
Why certainly

Spectacular.

Mumbles to self: (now how do I suggest that he use periods without sounding like a total ass...)

It is Fake
7/04/2006 4:08pm,
Spectacular.

Mumbles to self: (now how do I suggest that he use periods without sounding like a total ass...)
Uhmmm....There are 200 other posters to correct. Just walk away.

Moleculo
7/04/2006 4:16pm,
Right, must stay focused...