PDA

View Full Version : when to throw in the towel?

Pages : [1] 2

kryptiq
5/27/2003 12:13am,
So this may sound like a dumb question but since I'm sure many of you are passionate about your MA, you should be able to relate to my dilemma.

I really haven't been doing BJJ for a long time but despite how much I train, stretch and warm up, my neck feels fucked up pretty much after every class. It's the nature of the game - bigger opponents and a lot of strain. I used to do judo but decided to quit after 3 incidents - hyper-extended elbow and sprained ankle (same ankle twice)- they were all just unfortunate accidents related to throws. Anyhow, some guy in class just got his knee dislocated by accident tonight and unfortunately I can't say this is a rare event. Lots of people have trained and taken months off for various injuries - hell, the guy who got injured tonight has an unstable neck and he still rolls! Anyhow, it's not just my neck - my wrist, my knee, my elbow, my hamstring - they're all not 100% but for the most part I just handle the pain. My neck worries me though because some nights I can't sleep well because of the cramping.

So when should I decide to call it quits for the sake of my health? I love BJJ and think my injuries can all heal - but since I train often, things seem chronic. I tried going to a chiropractor and tried acupuncture (I pinched a nerve once and had shooting pains down my arm) but the acupuncturist damaged something and my thumb went number for over a month. Treatments don't seem to do any good if I still train so hard. I seem to be incapable of training lightly (I try but I end of going all out) and I don't like taking too much time off because my techniques suffer (I feel more awkward and I'm not so fluid). Any advice? I don't think I should wait until something really bad happens but I do want to train until I feel more competent at BJJ.

PizDoff
5/27/2003 12:17am,
Two distasteful ideas for you:

1. Ask the training partner not to go so "hard" on you. (Oldmanditis)

2. Take a break from it for like a week or more to rest up.

--
Hard work, Patience, Dedication.

9chambers
5/27/2003 12:19am,
There is nothing wrong with taking a vacation from it. Take up Taebo for a little while and call it the "off-season" .. that's right, even pro football players don't train hard all year round. There is an "off-season" for every sport when they just concentrate on a standard workout and let their injuries heal.

"There is a time and a season for everything under the sun." - Solomon

DJeter1234
5/27/2003 12:21am,
is strange, but we get very few injuries in my BJJ class compared to most. Instructor is very proud of it. I think that footlocks and neck-cranks are the only real bad things, though right now my elbow is messed up from armbar, so i can't really talk, but that was entirely my fault. But anyway, yeah, if you do it right, u can apply teh submission slow. Wow, i've said absolutely nothign helpfull. Sry, iz late and I'm writing a paper

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but i'll fight you in a no holds barred fight to the death for your right to say it"

Punisher
5/27/2003 12:28am,
At my dojo the level of force you use is ALWAYS set by your partner. There is not same in letting someone know how hard you want to go. If you can't go all out every class, try to find other people like you and work with them most of the time. Every once in a while you can kick it up a notch.

Bottom line, class is about training, not fighting and if you're always hurt you can't train.

<marquee>Dragon , Snake , Tiger , Leopard , Crane. R.M.F.A.F.T.A.T.! </marquee>

TaeBo_Master
5/27/2003 12:29am,
I don't mean to sound internal art preachy....... but maybe you should look into some TaiChi and/or Yoga. Both of these help promote flexibility and strength in joints.... two attributes which help reduce injury.

--A poor band player I was, but now I am crocodile king. --

DJeter1234
5/27/2003 12:31am,
there we go, that's what i WANTED to say. Nyway, is it just me, or do more people get injured by toenails that nythign else? There was one point where my entire foot/shin was gashed up. One guy was even kicked out of class untill he cut his nails

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but i'll fight you in a no holds barred fight to the death for your right to say it"

FingerorMoon?
5/27/2003 12:31am,
I know what you mean.
At the moment I'm training hard through an injury because I want to do my blackbelt grading soon.

However (do as I say, not as I do):

If you are injured, you should NOT be training.
If the chiropractor didn't help you, find another one.

Go to a myotherapist. Trust me.
They are similar to physio's in that they work on muscular/ligament injuries but come at it from a different method.

In your time off, after things settle, concentrate on building up the parts of your body that are weakest.

Conditioning training IS part of your BJJ training. The better conditioned you are, the harder you can train.

Try something like Matt Furey's combat conditioning stuff to build up weak parts like the neck.
http://www.mattfurey.com/conditioning_book.html

I'm like you. Its very hard to 'go light in class'. You may work through injuries now, but they WILL get worse, and you WILL regret it in a few years.

Look at it this way. When you come back - stronger, more flexible, and injury free - you will win a lot more!

--------
El Guapo says, ""You can buy muscles, but you can't buy COJONES!"
--------

IndoChinese
5/27/2003 12:32am,
kryptic,

that is par for the course. i used to take jujutsu and got thrown well over a hundred times every class. my back always hurt after class.

i have been hit on every square inch on my body in thousands of hours of sparring. the bruises,cracked ribs,headaches, and assorted motley pains is part of the training. alot of training injuries are due to mistakes on your part. continuing training will reduce your errors and hence the number of injuries that you recieve.

like piz said, take rest when you need it.

after all, you are training in fighting arts. be thankful that the injuries you have recieved have been relatively minor.

you dont have to fight all the time. and nobody can fight everyday, it just wears you down to much. unless you train with scrubs.

alternation is the key to balance, and longevity in the martial arts.

peace.

" a cow doesnt whinny, and a horse has no udder, back is to the sides, and sideways is straight ahead"

DJeter1234
5/27/2003 12:32am,
then again, i'm almost double jointed, so i got some extra time to tap out :-)

PizDoff
5/27/2003 1:29am,
"Sry, iz late and I'm writing a paper"

oh yeah? it's 2:35am and i'm finishing a gay presentation for tomorrow where i'll be to tired to stand or talk coherently (i was too tired to stand after my workout anyways)

*mumble mumble mumble*

--

DJeter1234
5/27/2003 1:31am,
is only 2:30 here, but i have a 5 page paper AND a gay presentation, which i think i'm just gonna completely ad-lib and make on the preconceptions of martial arts in america, and both count for 25% of my semester grade. O, and i gonna wake up at 5 to run tmrw.

PizDoff
5/27/2003 1:43am,
*mumbles incoherently*

*SLUMP!*

--

DJeter1234
5/27/2003 1:49am,
meh, i on my second wind, actually finished the paper but decided just to stay up all night else i won't be able to wake up and run. Now I'm just posting incoherently (see the gladiotor guy thread)

kryptiq
5/27/2003 2:06am,
Thanks for the advice guys! I have a few comments:

Piz - I've actually tried asking my partners to train lightly when I'm not feeling great and they're pretty good until they think I'm dominating a bit - then they raise the bar. I usually go at the pace of my opponent but since most of the people I roll with are bigger, I have to be quick to prevent things from being set up. However, I'll keep asking and take note of who responds well.

punisher - I should do that more but there is one problem - there are only a few guys that go slower and they're not always available - they tend to be higher belts so not only are they high in demand in general but the other females in the class tend to partner up with them whenever they're free

FM - I've tried some strength-training and it has been helpful - thanks for the link. Unfortunately I'm not able to be consistent when I'm going to classes because of the pain. I do stretch everyday though. Myotherapist - sounds good - not sure if any are available where I live though but I'll keep looking.

TaeboDude - I've been seriously considering taking taichi along with BJJ and I know a few people in my class also do yoga. In fact, I was trying to grapple with a taichi disciple this past weekend and I was amazed at how easily he repelled my attempts to grab him. His posture was great too so it was tough for me to get submissions. Mind you - he was a good 80 lbs bigger than me and I'm still pretty new at BJJ.

I know I SHOULD just take some time off if I'm injured but I'm always not 100% so how do I draw the line between OK injured and red flag injured? I can handle pain and to some degree immobility. Honestly, I just have no clue as to WHEN it's just very unhealthy.

I don't want to give the impression that elbows and knees are popping all the time - they're rare compared to the assorted bumps/strains/sprains people have endured but they do happen. I guess the problem is that arm bars can go on fast and if the opponent is tight and is hitting the mat hard - pop! Leg locks that torque the knees are usually the ones that pop the knees because sometimes you don't feel them until it's too late.

Djeter - I'm almost double-jointed too - I'm just waiting for the day my knees get popped though because I never feel ankle locks and although I usually escape who knows when I'll just damage myself.

DJeter1234
5/27/2003 2:16am,
" they tend to be higher belts so not only are they high in demand in general but the other females in the class tend to partner up with them whenever they're free"

:-). and that's why they call it <b)BJ</b>j
honestly, if someone gets me in a footlock, i try to go forward, and if i can't, and they aren't just trying to crank my shin, i tap. Not worth it, less in a torunament, heard too many stories. But isn't it fun when someone's trying to Americana you and you end up twisting out of it while they're trying it figure out what they're doing wrong?