PDA

View Full Version : So why don't kicks work in MMA?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

Crazyman
6/30/2006 1:46pm,
I've been watching more and more UFC events latley, and I've noticed that nobody ever throws a kick. And when they do throw a kick it's roundkick to the face. I'm going to assume that frontsnap kicks, frontfoot sidekicks, and reverse sidekicks aren't thrown in the UFC, because they don't work.

So my question is, if they don't work, why don't they work? And if they do work, why aren't they thrown?

theraydiator
6/30/2006 1:51pm,
Spinning Back Kicks (Turning Side Kicks, etc.) work occasionally and are rarely thrown.

Lots of fighters utilize round kicks to the legs, very effectively I might add.

Some fighters are known for KOs from high round kicks.

One danger in throwing kicks in general is being taken down - watch for people to counter a kick by scooping up the kicking leg and then kicking/sweeping out the other leg.

Moleculo
6/30/2006 1:52pm,
Watch Pride.

War Wizard
6/30/2006 1:53pm,
I've been watching more and more UFC events latley, and I've noticed that nobody ever throws a kick. And when they do throw a kick it's roundkick to the face. I'm going to assume that frontsnap kicks, frontfoot sidekicks, and reverse sidekicks aren't thrown in the UFC, because they don't work.

So my question is, if they don't work, why don't they work? And if they do work, why aren't they thrown?

Go look up Cro Cop's fights and tell me kicks kicks are impossible to work. Like a lot of things, if you practice it realistically, you find ways to make things work.

FictionPimp
6/30/2006 1:56pm,
Bonnar was throwing a lot of axe kicks in his last fight.

mrblackmagic
6/30/2006 1:59pm,
Most of those guys are MT style kickers. Their kicks require more commitment and if they miss they're more open than insert you own analogy. That's why you see more low kicks. Low kicks have less recovery time and vulnerability.

Crazyman
6/30/2006 2:13pm,
So why don't we see frontsnapkicks, or frontfoot sidekicks? IMO both kicks can be thrown rather quickly, and from a short distance. Everytime I watch a fight it seems to me that both fighters are wide open to both these kicks. Are they open to these kicks, or am I just a noob that is missing part of the equation?

Teh El Macho
6/30/2006 2:16pm,
Bonnar was throwing a lot of axe kicks in his last fight.GSP does some nasty axe kicks, too.

Torakaka
6/30/2006 2:16pm,
because front snap kicks are retarded and side kicks are asking to get single legged

Crazyman
6/30/2006 2:17pm,
What is single legged, and why are frontsnap kicks retarded?

PointyShinyBurn
6/30/2006 2:23pm,
A single leg is when you grab your opponent by one of his legs, and then dump him on his arse. Standing balanced on one foot increases your vulnerability to such an attack.

Torakaka
6/30/2006 2:23pm,
What is single legged, and why are frontsnap kicks retarded?

http://aw-wrestling.com/images/action_single_leg.jpg

Anna Kovacs
6/30/2006 2:25pm,
Front snap kicks dont really hurt all that much (plus they are a good way to jam your toes) and imo any kind of straight forward kick is more likely to get grabbed or swept of to the side and leave you vulnerable. Even the very effective push kick is rare in MMA for this reason.

There is a high risk ratio in kicking in MMA period and it's probably not really worth it in most cases since you stand the risk of being taken down or even slipping and falling on your ass, in which case your opponent is going to be right on top of you punching you.

They get the crowd goin though, so thats cool.

Teh El Macho
6/30/2006 2:26pm,
What is single legged, and why are frontsnap kicks retarded?Being single legged mean that you will be taken down by a single-leg takedown. Frontsnaps don't have much power. The are nothing more than a jerky contraction of the quadriceps; they won't do much **** against someone that 1) knows how to deal with real power kicks, and 2) that has every intention to **** you up.

Neildo
6/30/2006 2:26pm,
God-DAMN, that thing looks ridiculous.

Buy an Ing Un wooden man. Geez.

Teh El Macho
6/30/2006 2:30pm,
God-DAMN, that thing looks ridiculous.

Buy an Ing Un wooden man. Geez.If you get a wooden dummy, then you will naturally be incline to throw tippy-tappy front kicks:

http://www.taokwoon.com/taokwoon/titles/willkick.jpg