PDA

View Full Version : Intro from Texas

Pages : [1] 2 3

kravchick
6/29/2006 8:57am,
I was going to use a cute subject line like "FRESH MEAT" but somehow I thought that would send the wrong message. ;-)

I'm a 30-something computer geek (used to be a Paramedic a looooong time ago) in the Dallas/Fort Worth area, married with two daughters, 9 and 15. Along with the 4 cats, 6 fish, and 2 bearded dragons, I feel like I live in a zoo. :-D

The entire family started Krav Maga about a month ago, and we're loving it. The workout is great, we're all in absolutely crap shape. Hubby & I each have about 80 lbs to lose.

I know that KM isn't as much of a martial *art* as other styles, but it's exactly what we were looking for, and we love our sensei, he's absolutely wonderful. And the other people at the dojo are absolutely great, from the new students all the way to those in the leadership training group.

Anyway, that's the long "hi" from me. Glad to meet everyone!

MrMcFu
6/29/2006 8:59am,
Glad it's keeping you in shape. Go to Machado Jiu-Jitsu if you want to learn something practical as well.

kravchick
6/29/2006 9:02am,
Glad it's keeping you in shape. Go to Machado Jiu-Jitsu if you want to learn something practical as well.

Sensei Klay teaches BJJ and kickboxing as well. I'm just not ready to add those classes yet. We stay over for kickboxing occasionally when we have the wind. :-D

MrMcFu
6/29/2006 9:07am,
Sensei Klay teaches BJJ and kickboxing as well. I'm just not ready to add those classes yet. We stay over for kickboxing occasionally when we have the wind. :-D

Cool I see that BJJ is listed on his site here -

http://www.tigerclayskravmaga.com/

What is his BJJ rank? I can't find much on it, but that doesn't mean anything.

MrMcFu
6/29/2006 9:10am,
Interesting, the BJJ class actually consists of:

"Judo, Sambo, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Sport, MMA, NHB, and street aspects of Ground fighting"

http://www.tigerclayskravmaga.com/index.cfm?zone=view.schedule

kravchick
6/29/2006 9:15am,
Cool I see that BJJ is listed on his site here -

http://www.tigerclayskravmaga.com/

What is his BJJ rank? I can't find much on it, but that doesn't mean anything.

Don't get me to lying. :-D I'm afraid I didn't check up on him beyond what's on his website before going in for our free krav class. I was intrigued by KM and he's the only local teacher. We loved the class, his interaction with the girls was great, and the class atmosphere was incredible.

I have to say that I *am* impressed by your google-fu, though! You pulled that up with very little data. :-D

kravchick
6/29/2006 9:17am,

I'm curious though... you don't find KM to be practical?

MrMcFu
6/29/2006 9:19am,
Don't get me to lying. :-D I'm afraid I didn't check up on him beyond what's on his website before going in for our free krav class. I was intrigued by KM and he's the only local teacher. We loved the class, his interaction with the girls was great, and the class atmosphere was incredible.

I have to say that I *am* impressed by your google-fu, though! You pulled that up with very little data. :-D

Thank you. Well, I am at work and have to go train now, but before the day is out in Texas, I predict great things for this thread.

FictionPimp
6/29/2006 9:28am,
I'm curious though... you don't find KM to be practical?

Krav maga can be practical. Its in how it is trained. If there is lots of resistance and sparing then it will be practical. If all you do is stand in a line and punch, or do punch mit drills for an hour, it will not be practical.

kravchick
6/29/2006 9:37am,
Krav maga can be practical. Its in how it is trained. If there is lots of resistance and sparing then it will be practical. If all you do is stand in a line and punch, or do punch mit drills for an hour, it will not be practical.

Oh, we get punch and kick shields and go at each other in class pretty hard. We don't do any "standing in a line and punch" stuff. It's all situational, with partners & shields, and it's pretty much full-force into the shields. We pull a *bit*, but it's serious. It was a hell of an adrenaline rush the first time my hubby put his knee into my gut and lifted me off the floor, knocking the wind out of me. (I was alreading breathing out per sensei's instructions, but he accelerated the process.) I'd never been seriously hit in my life. It's been great to learn that I can survive being hit. (And even better to learn that I can hit back.)

MaverickZ
6/29/2006 9:44am,
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=51341623

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=51341623&imageID=455372089&MyToken=6179189a-271d-4c1f-aa04-e9b3020bce12

kravchick
6/29/2006 9:46am,
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=51341623

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=51341623&imageID=455372089&MyToken=6179189a-271d-4c1f-aa04-e9b3020bce12

::snort:: Geez. I never even guessed Sensei had a MySpace account. I should invite him to my friends group. :-D

Rhamma
6/29/2006 9:55am,
:adios: Have fun, I've been in and around martial arts for a long, long time.

Personally I think KM is kind of goofy, but if you are having fun keep at it.

I don't want to be a pesimist, but I would say the attician rate in MA is about 90% or more.

So, if you and hubby are both grossly over weight (80lb is grossly over weight) I would say have a backup exersice plan ready. Go for walks, learn the play tennis, get rid of your TV (or at least don't allow it to be on when the sun is up).

Plan family nights skating or going bowling, just if (or when) you all get bored with this or it gets too hard, or you get mad at your "sensei" for whatever reason don't give up on exersice and getting / keeping the wieght off.

FictionPimp
6/29/2006 10:07am,

Ahh the internet, if someone exists, you will find a funny picture or video of there there.

kravchick
6/29/2006 10:45am,
:adios: Have fun, I've been in and around martial arts for a long, long time.

Personally I think KM is kind of goofy, but if you are having fun keep at it.

I don't want to be a pesimist, but I would say the attician rate in MA is about 90% or more.

So, if you and hubby are both grossly over weight (80lb is grossly over weight) I would say have a backup exersice plan ready. Go for walks, learn the play tennis, get rid of your TV (or at least don't allow it to be on when the sun is up).

Plan family nights skating or going bowling, just if (or when) you all get bored with this or it gets too hard, or you get mad at your "sensei" for whatever reason don't give up on exersice and getting / keeping the wieght off.

I have no doubt that the attrition rate is that high. I'm hoping that we keep with it, and we have a number of good reasons for being there that are good motivators. Both hubby and I were very athletic when we were younger, and put on the weight during our respective 1st marriages. We've committed to getting healthy together and are making healthy lifestyle changes as a family. Also, we each have significant health problems that have to be addressed (he has type 2 diabetes and my cholesterol is getting scary) so that's a good motivator. We want our girls to learn good self defense skills, because it's just not safe out there anymore (and we had a personal situation recently that drove THAT home to us) as well as develop strong self images and confidence.

So, we keep with it, keep working out, and never say die. :-D After all, pain is our friend, right? (As I nurse a pulled back muscle from over-extending on an elbow last night)

I'm curious, though... I have a feeling that the "my style is better than yours" is an old game, but why do you think Krav is goofy? I'm not looking for an argument, but I *do* want to know the pros and cons of what I'm studying.

Rhamma
6/29/2006 11:09am,
Pain is just weakness escaping the body. LOL

I saw that somewhere and thought it was funny.

Why goofy? Humm, hard one to explain and could start a flame war in here, and we are not supposed to flame in "Noobie town", but I will say this.

I am in a classical system, which is the old, old way of doing things. No, we don't stand around in our "karate suits" bowing to each other and calling each other "sensei".

The human body has not changed in thousands of years and these people worked out ways to fight and took into consideration all the different ways opponents might attack long long ago. I just think that it is goofy how different modern people will come along and "cherry pick" what they think works form systems they barley understand and create a new "style".

That being said most "Traditional Martial Arts" schools are crap too.

It's all mostly crap, and if you find a good teacher in your area it is mostly luck.

So, have fun, don't take what you are doing or yourself too seriously. Give your girls confidence, but don't ever let them get the misconception that they will be able to stand toe to toe with a man and fight him because that could get them hurt very badly or even killed. No training no matter how good will ever change that.