PDA

View Full Version : Creating openings

Pages : [1] 2 3

Boyd
5/23/2003 10:16pm,
If the title scared you into thinking this was going to be a boring, Kuntaokidian thread...you're right. See, one of my biggest problems in my (admittedly limited) sparring experience has been with openings. Specifically, I can't get past someone's raised hands. If my aim was any good, this probably wouldn't be so much of a problem; I could just knock out any incoming limbs and work from there. Unfortunately, it's not. I COULD attack my opponent's legs, but again, my aim is terrible, so all I really have to use are roundhouses...hardly the ideal close-range weapon.

I guess I may as well address both these problems simeltaneously: What are some ways I can increase both my accuracy and my ability to recognize potential openings? Keep in mind that while I typically don't strike to the head (I do, after all, have to come home to my mom every day), any advice regarding that would be appreciated. I have a heavy bag at home, but no training partner. I feel as though the bag isn't helping my aim any, since I'm still occasionally jamming my hand and my feet are still skidding off the surface with alarming regularity. I've considered buying focus mits or something along those lines. Any advice there.

Thanks in advance, and much love to all my dangerous ******* out there.

HEY! YOUR WIFE IS UGLIER THAN ANY UGLY PIG!!!

kryptiq
5/23/2003 11:12pm,
Here's my two cents:

I really think you need to train more with a partner - it'll help you with body mechanics. You'll be able to better understand yours and your opponent's distance and timing (important for openings). Also, try to train with different sizes of partners and people who have different styles - I always think diversity is important. Practice is really the key to getting familiar with recognizing openings.

As an aside, if you're training for aim - don't get into the habit of looking directly at your target. Some people are really good at reading your face and where you intend to hit.

For myself, I had to rely heavily on combinations to get a shot in when sparring (especially since my reach is not too great). While my opponents are too busy defending or their arms get tied up, I would eventually get the opening. So try to work on different combos and keep dishing it if they seem overwhelmed.

Some combo stuff:
You can try faking before an attack to get an opening with the initial reaction or try sticking to your opponent's arms a bit more. For example, if you're parrying an incoming punch, you can deflect it in a way that'll create an opening. Proper sticking is important if you don't feel you have good aim. You're moving with the limb more and not just knocking it - it's a soft move so you don't need to slam hard and lose time and energy with unnecessary momentum. You can just deflect enough to quickly attack. Also side-stepping is very useful for getting access - especially when used in combination with parrying and multiple strikes.

Hope that's helpful.

IndoChinese
5/23/2003 11:40pm,
"If the title scared you into thinking this was going to be a boring, Kuntaokidian thread.."

LOL, ****.

they are not that bad are they?

i try to keep it simple.

take a sheet of paper. crumple it up into a ball. wrap it with tape. take a pencil and punch a hole throught the ball. run a string through the hole and tie it off. hang the ball from the ceiling.

practice hitting the ball as it swings. the small,moving target will help with your accuracy and timing. 'shadow box' with the target. dont hit too hard, its for accuracy and focus,not power.

take a candle(taper). light the candle. punch at the candle flame without hitting it, and put it out. if you are accurate and relaxed, your punch with a snap will transfer kinetic energy to the air molecules between your fist and the flame. hit fast enough and accurately and they will pass through the flame and extinguish it.*this is somewhat difficult, accuracy will be the biggest problem* some days, you will not be able to put it out at all. protect your elbow as you punch by always keeping the arm slightly bent, NEVER fully extend your elbow. snap your punch to reduce transfer time. you will need to hit very close to the candle in the beginning to put it out, but extend the distance as you get better. putting out the flame from 8 inches away is not uncommon(but hard). oh yea, STRAIGHT punches only, no swings or hooks(that's cheating, you dont want to fan the air). depending on how you hit now, it might take months before you can put it out. dont give up.

to learn to see openings requires a partner. if not you must visualize a 'partner' and shadowbox. it's better than nothing. your timing is the major problem, maybe biomechanics, but timing is usually the biggest issue. you really need a partner for that. keep training till you get one.

see, not too long, a little lively even...

kryptiq gave some very good advice.

peace.

" a cow doesnt whinny, and a horse has no udder, back is to the sides, and sideways is straight ahead"

Kuya
5/24/2003 4:49am,
Sinawali can help develop accuracy.

Anyways, without a partner, practice in front of a mirror. Or better yet tape yourself when you train. Its not ideal, but at least you can see yourelf moving, and figure out what you open up by watching yourself move. At least it will help you get an idea of the look of what stuff can be thrown at you. Again this is not ideal, and no substitute for partner training, but it doesnt hurt. May even help you find holes in your form/technique. And if youre crazy enough, you can really pretend the guy in the mirror is someone else.

deus ex machina
5/24/2003 4:53am,
Shottie.

~
danny

"All this talk about 'newbies' is making me a little nervous. You guys don't have any sort of secret hazing initiation involving wooden paddles and me screaming 'Thank you sir, may I have another?!' do you?"

Bang!
5/24/2003 6:08am,
I was in the bookstore today, browsing through one of those generic, Bruce Lee inspired instruction books. The guy broke attacks into five categories, although I'm arsed if I can remember the actual titles.

1. Single Attack
This is what youíve been doing. Hence the suckitude.

2. Combined Attack
Combinations. Nuff said.

3. Feints and Strikes
This is the one you should be most interested in. It involves setting up certain openings with fakes or other strikes. For example, a common boxing strategy is to jab with the left while closing the distance. When the opponentís hands come up to block, you follow in with an uppercut. Options from there include following up with a series of inside blows, clinching, grappling or and jabbing backwards to safely regain your distance. Lots of stuff . . . use your imagination.

4. Covering the Attack
A WT sticky hands favorite. This involves covering the attack in order to strike. An example would be when an opponent comes in with a (r.) mid-level punch. You cover (draw in, really) the punch with the palm of your left hand and strike his exposed right temple with your right hand.

5. Drawing the Attack
This is a more passive way to set up a strike. It involves leaving a deliberate opening in order to initiate an attack that you already have a game plan for. Or maybe it just involves you getting hit.

And donít forget to work that crazy stepping. Most people fight in a very linear fashion. While a bag might not offer the most realistic response to a strike, itís a good tool for practicing to move around an opponent. If you can get a guyís back, then he wonít be able to block you anyway. IMHFO.

Edited by - Repulsive Monkey on May 24 2003 06:13:06

PizDoff
5/24/2003 7:11am,
lol

" I feel as though the bag isn't helping my aim any"
and you are right.....

omg WT sucks!
:)

What you REALLY need is Wing Chun sticky hands (hahahahah i love lineage bashing!)

And try to do a Wing Chun stomp kick up close to mid range. An exagerated description: Chamber your foot with a front chamber, like raising your knee to your midsection, upper leg parallel to floor, and push outward and downward with the foot hitting with the heel. Foot should be oriented 45 degrees from the floor.

bah horrible description,

also get a speed bag, single or double ended

--
Hard work, Patience, Dedication.

Jamoke
5/24/2003 7:28am,
heavy bag training builds stength not timing you dildo! sounds to me like you need to get in the ring and have someone beat the vagina out of you.

you sound like such a fairy boyd, now i know what i'm up against, now do you see why i call you my NUMBER 1 bitch in the whole world.

haha, and now you reveal you sukk at fighting. hahahaha

"When attacked insult, and insult to kill"

Jamoke
5/24/2003 7:31am,
sorry boyd, but you have chased me down enough thread to thread, dont worry i wont do that because i promised i wouldn't.

but all kidding aside, you need to go back to the basics man! if you cant get past someones raised hands, fighting is not for you, try dancing school, or KAREOKE!

"When attacked insult, and insult to kill"

PizDoff
5/24/2003 7:39am,
you know how to make friends........

--
Hard work, Patience, Dedication.

HAPKO3
5/24/2003 11:24am,
One thing that helped me immensly in the past is boxing. In boxing you have very few strikes to work with, so it's extremely simple, and ultimately, all you work on is creating exploiting and defending openings. I would suggest going by the local boxing gym - they're usually cheap, and training there for a while. First of all, this will solve your lack of sparring partners - boxing gyms are full of people wanting to get in the ring with someone. Second of all it will teach you how to punch properly, and keep andge and posture.

Plugging kicks into your boxing is surprisingly simple, and all of the same rules on range posture, openings, etc apply.

------------------------
I remain, Hapko3

HAPKO3
5/24/2003 11:25am,
I meant range and posture.

------------------------
I remain, Hapko3

Omar
5/24/2003 3:56pm,
What you need is a non-competitive sparring partner. Preferably someone enough better than you to not feel any need to "beat" you. Someone who can fight at half or 2/3 speed and still be difficult for you. That way he can "feed" you techniques to counter or just play defense and let you take some time figuring out how to crack his defense.

Defense only is a tremendous handicap and that way it can be productive for him too. By disallowing your opponents coutner attacking he gets to really drill his evasive footwork and so on. You get a chance to see what's going on and to control the pace. It's much better to move well slowly than to move fast but poorly.

Another aspect to add to this kind of drill is for both of you to freeze position at points that were done poorly and "instant replay" but on the second time round slow it down and see how you could play it differently.

Heavy bags are good for training power and wrist alignment but not great for accuracy. I'm not a big fan of focus mitts myself. They onyl seem usefull for pretty traditional boxing type combos. If accuracy is a problem I think double end bags are awsome.

BAH ! Puny Humans !

Omar
5/24/2003 3:58pm,
p.s. I suspect your main problem isn't so much accuracy as seeing the openings. IMHO most openings are psychological more than literal...like gaps in his awareness.

BAH ! Puny Humans !

Choke
5/24/2003 4:12pm,
I AM NOT OMAR

No offense Omar. !BAJI! 3wns and all that.

Creating openings is really only going to come with expierience. Here is something that you can apply right away:

Set up hand strikes with kicks. Set up kicks with handstrikes.

Use combos and finish your combos even if they don't all connect.

If your opponent has reach on you close the gap by crashing into him.

Now for wrath, now for ruin and a red nightfall!

Boyd
5/24/2003 4:45pm,
I guess you guys don't remember, but in past threads I've bitched like an old lady after being hit by a dune buggy on my lack of a training partner. Of all my friends, only one is into martial arts. Of that one friend, his striking skills are nonexistent. He's a great wrestler, but he himself has admitted to me that all his fights were won by the old "close your eyes and swing" technique. So it's hardly as simple as just "getting a partner".

Always go swimming with a buddy
Work real hard and always study