PDA

View Full Version : Self Defense Scenario Practice (Zujitsu Ka)

Fighty McGee
5/23/2003 4:17pm,
Self Defense Scenario Practice, summarized and reposted for Zujitsu Ka

Original question—“What are some scenario's that you practice for self-defense that you consider unique or different relating to possible real world situations ?
For example, the summer is approaching so it is very possible one could be laying down at a park or on the beach. I have my students lay or sit in a manor such as taking in some sun or reading a book. While in that positon they are attacked ( In a controlled enviorment of course) and have they respond to these types of assaults. Of course they are critiqued and reminded of our principles and what may or may not work...”

Responses— Some direct quotes, some paraphrased:

”we had a class outdoors where we set up scenarios of getting your keys out and getting into your car. After we found someone willing to let us use their car as the dummy, we were all set. We also trained if attacked between two cars (narrow space).”
----------------------------------------------------------------------

“REMEMBER- you will fight the way you train!” Train realistically

Arrange with another person (such as your instructor) to be attacked by them randomly during your daily life.

“We sometimes drill forcing people into the backseat of a car so we can drive and beat them to a pulp in a secluded location. We also drill hostage taking.”

“…one could be laying down at a park or on the beach. I have my students lay or sit in a manor such as taking in some sun or reading a book. While in that positon they are attacked ( In a controlled enviorment of course) and have they respond to these types of assaults. Of course they are critiqued and reminded of our principles and what may or may not work...”

“Walking and running speed-- train awareness of distance as well as awareness of groups of people or people specifically interested (hawking your movements)in you. Train grab escapes and blocks from these speeds as well as evasion tactics.

Sitting-- Learn to leverage attacks against the lower available targets and defend against hair grabs and kicks from a standing opponent.

Back against a wall-- Learn how to negotiate defense when you can't back up or flee easily. Learn how to use the wall as a weapon in your favor.”

“Someone leaves the room. He is told to come back in the room and talk to X. The rest of the students are assigned roles. Some use verbal attavks, some striking, some knife...it is less about being able to fly around and stop them all, and more to realize one's environment, use one attacker as a shield, recognize when oyu are being cornered and stuff like that. If you can take out some folks, that's good too.”

“…a subway ride at 2am on the #4. Maybe one could practice awareness of all the exits, people's proximity, any groups of young men that board together. One could practice awareness in regard to the location of the conductor and the emergency cord. One could even train to use the hand-poles as a defensive/offensive weapon.”

(use) “all sorts of different sized rooms and spaces including a bathroom. Using your enviroment to maximize your techniques is a great way of making a mediocre techinque into a bonebreaking takedown or a KO. Hip throwing someone on to the edge of bathroom sink or onto a toliet bowl equates to all sorts of nasty multipliers. Punching someone is one thing but punching their head against a mirror or the edge of a door means more damage with less energy and less technique required. Adding a towelrack to your chokeholds and locks is another great multiplier. But before that you should know how to do the bare technque agaisnt a resisting/moving opponent in a sterile enviroment *then* consider using things around you.”

Please post more suggestions!

Jamoke
5/23/2003 4:19pm,
not bad McGeek!

"When attacked insult, and insult to kill"

Rashomon
5/23/2003 4:32pm,
What about sitting in the bleachers at a ball game? Lots of drunks and ass-holes (and drunk ass-holes) at ball games.

I also like the suggestion of adding the verbal attack component. I think a verbal attack could distract and intimidate you, if you aren't used to it / prepared for it. Plus, you need to be aware of getting sucker punched while the guy is running his mouth at you... or acting like he want's to make up with you.

tenguatemypuppy
5/23/2003 10:57pm,
“We sometimes drill forcing people into the backseat of a car so we can drive and beat them to a pulp in a secluded location. We also drill hostage taking.”

Kidnapping Practice - A million uses and counting.

Seriously though, I like the idea!

Zujitsu Ka
5/24/2003 6:38am,
Rash, good point we do that as well. Also try to add our own distration while moving. One strategy is saying something to your attacked that makes no sense so he menta;;y pauses for a second. We do sitting in a chair as well.

We also practice self-defense using what at our disposal. I will bring in various items, newpaper, magazine, umbrella bag of groceries, pens, gym bag etc. These are all things we carry from time to time and can used as weapons and or distractions to but you a moment which in real life may save your butt.

Zujitsu Ka
5/24/2003 6:39am,
Fighty, Thanks for the summary !

stoogejitsu
5/24/2003 7:39am,
I would just do what the inspector in the pink panther movies did, he hired that guy to sneak up on him and then attack him when he least expected it, that's the only way to train.

Fighty McGee
5/25/2003 9:00pm,
My pleasure, Zu. I was partially responsible for the hijack of your previous thread, and I thought it was a relevant one, worthy of some serious responses.

FingerorMoon?
5/25/2003 10:45pm,
I read on a forum someone discussing how to defend yourself in zero gravity conditions.

Obviously there is an angry astronaut somewhere...

--------
El Guapo says, ""You can buy muscles, but you can't buy COJONES!"
--------

RealWorldSpy
5/26/2003 1:05am,
Sitting-- Learn to leverage attacks against the lower available targets and defend against hair grabs and kicks from a standing opponent.

Back against a wall-- Learn how to negotiate defense when you can't back up or flee easily. Learn how to use the wall as a weapon in your favor.”

McGee, did I understood right? Are you propossing those as techniques of self-defense or no-no in self-defense?

If you're propossing them as techniques that might work, I will think twice.
Never back against a wall, you're limitating your movements and scape if needed. The same applies for sitting, you are at disavantage(sp)if you sit: you can't move easy, you are an easy target for knee or foot kicks, even a good jab, letsnot talk about someone striking something on your head or your back.
You have to be on your feet, moving always, changing positions, covering your sides,keeping your eyes in the closest enemy eyes, but at the same time in the corners of your eyes you keep cheking the movements of the others and you change angles, if another one close range face it and move sideways away from the previous one, that one is not longer your inminent threat, is always a constant situation.
When the contact comes, well, you're trained,but a hint doesn't hurt.
If you have an stupid macho man that want to grab you to wrestle or whatever go for the chin with your palm, you'll throw him out of balance, even if he weight more than a sumo guy, go for the Adams Apple and he go to the floor, the nuts, bust the knee caps and the elbows caps. He is a baby after that. More and you can get in trouble with the law, maybe pay his hospital bill or his funeral.
And whatever any instructor tells you about self-defense agaisnt a knife, the only one is a gun if is legal for you to carry it in your country and state. If not, forget it, run.

"We're pawns in this game."

http://wsbf.net/cowgod/crap/boards/initiald-fc.gif