PDA

View Full Version : Beware of no-contact TKD sparring in Iowa

Pages : [1] 2 3

Crazyman
6/10/2006 3:08pm,
Hey everyone this is my first post here. And I hate to start off on a bad note but I have a bone to pick with the way a few TKD schools in IA "Spar". These schools are all ran or affiliated with/by a Grandmaster Woo Jin Jung. I've seen too many MA newbies go to these schools thinking that they are about to be taught how to defend themselves. At first glance these schools are normal. They break boards, do forms, and one steps. They promote people to the next belt level every two months like everybody else.

But then when you spar at these schools you are not allowed to actually hit your opponent (even though you both have over $80 worth of protective gear on). You must stop short of hitting them. Now I don't have a problem with this sort of thing at lower levels, but this type of sparring goes all the way up to the highest levels of BB. So you can learn from one of these schools and never ever do any real sparring. Even their tournaments are non-contact sparring. Funny thing is their tournaments are "invite only" even the big one they hold every year that they claim to be "multi-state". I guess they don't want a real TKD practitioner coming in there and shedding light on their fake, sparring.

Now I don't mean to be an ass. I know qute a few people that attend these schools, and that do their best to be a good MA student. I'm not making fun of the students. After all they know only what they are told by the grandmaster. The grandmaster of all these schools has been teaching for over 30 years, so there are quite a few extremely high ranking BB's at these places that grew up thinking that no contact sparring was all there was. A lot of these guys are extremely nice people, and have no clue that they are teaching, and were taught this BS. This non-contact BS has already taken over an entire state, and I fear that it may eventually spread to even more of the midwest. So anyway if you happen to be in Iowa any time soon and run into a "Martial Artist" be sure to tell him what the majortiy of the MA world thinks of no contact sparring.

Method2Madness
6/10/2006 3:15pm,
actually there are alot of schools through out the US that spar using no contact rules.

Crazyman
6/10/2006 3:26pm,
Really? I can't believe that. No wonder so many people consider MA to be useless.
If you don't even spar full contact then you're not even learning how to defend yourself. You might as well do Tae-Bo, beause without the sparring it's the same thing. How are you supposed to learn how to fight when you don't even know when you've hit your opponent or when you've been hit?

Poop Loops
6/10/2006 3:44pm,
Beware of Iowa and beware of TKD. Check.

Doctor X
6/10/2006 3:57pm,
Idiots Out Wandering Alone.

--J.D.

Poop Loops
6/10/2006 3:59pm,
Stopped reading at "Idiots".

Shaolinz
6/10/2006 4:49pm,
After scanning that post... did you lurk at all before you posted here? You're either attempting to point out obvious, highly supported things to people who already know them or you have no idea what board your on.

Poop Loops
6/10/2006 4:54pm,
Hannibal.

HearWa
6/10/2006 6:42pm,
TKD bashing... check.
Calling out someone on the interweb: check.
Pointing out the obvious... check.
Generally putting me to sleep... CHECK.

All you must do now is pass our top secret test and YOU'RE IN. It's too bad you won't know what that test is until it's too late, and 98% of the subjects fail it and usually end up with some form of syphilis or the claps.

Crazyman
6/10/2006 7:35pm,
Wow. I was pretty sure that somebody stupid would come out of the woodwork, to attempt to defend no contact sparring. From your reactions I can see that a topic like this has been posted before. So anyway I'll just let this thread die now...

Moleculo
6/10/2006 7:42pm,
Wow. I was pretty sure that somebody stupid would come out of the woodwork...

Hannibal.

wait...

jubei33
6/10/2006 9:58pm,
because TKD is widely appreciated for its self-defense applications anyway......

Grashnak
6/10/2006 10:10pm,
Aren't TKD and no-contact redundant?

Shu2jack
6/10/2006 10:17pm,
Aren't TKD and no-contact redundant?

You should talk to DerAuslander about why he takes TKD. Full contact and many of his techniques involve full penetration.

DerAuslander
6/11/2006 1:27am,
Ok, so I know nothing of Woo Jinjung, except for the fact that he did write a book on sparring. I read it several years ago, never purchased it, but I do seem to remember half the book was devoted to Olympic TKD training, which definitely is not non-contact.

Lame? Yes. Non-contact? No.

So, based on that alone...I gotta wonder about Crazyman and his reasons for posting.

That...and this...

I guess they don't want a real TKD practitioner coming in there and shedding light on their fake, sparring.

...made me laugh my ass off...

Doctor X
6/11/2006 1:41am,
Wow. I was pretty sure that somebody stupid would come out of the woodwork, to attempt to defend no contact sparring. From your reactions I can see that a topic like this has been posted before. So anyway I'll just let this thread die now...

Posting and You (http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting.php)

--J.D.