PDA

View Full Version : Does your martial art contain any spirituality?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

vigilus
6/01/2006 5:07pm,
I'm sure this will get me hammered but a lot of people here have retarded amounts of martial arts experience. Since this place is about no bullshit martial arts I figured it's the prime place to ask.

Do you think spirituality has a place in modern martial arts?

This can be from explaining energy (one fighter hitting another, science) in the form of ki or chi to those practicialy martial arts abiding by certian codes and ethics. Or choosing to live their lives a certain way ie only using as much force as required, constantly training so they will be the best they can be etc.. Kinda like a warrior mentality.

Anna Kovacs
6/01/2006 5:22pm,
I just like to hit people.

Mr. Jones
6/01/2006 5:25pm,
No. It doesn't. Sportsmanship yes spirtuality no.

Fantasy Warrior
6/01/2006 5:27pm,
Spiritual:
spir·i·tu·al (spĭr'ĭ-chū-əl)
adj.
* Of, relating to, consisting of, or having the nature of spirit; not tangible or material. See synonyms at immaterial.
* Of, concerned with, or affecting the soul.
* Of, from, or relating to God; deific.
* Of or belonging to a church or religion; sacred.
Relating to or having the nature of spirits or a spirit; supernatural.

It's a load of sissy codswhallop ain't it?

Torakaka
6/01/2006 5:27pm,
This is pretty much the same as asking is religion necessary to be a good martial artist. Do you need to believe in god to be a TRUE martial artist? It's about as rediculous a question anyway.

BackFistMonkey
6/01/2006 5:28pm,
The Spirituality (tm) in my life has been replaced by three things
a cold calculating outer layer of bioplasmic energy a firm yet slightly spongy logical swarm of ions and a creamy skeptical center that is always waiting for proof .

Mr. Jones
6/01/2006 5:30pm,
I heard Kung Fu has codes or ethics or something like that.

crowey
6/01/2006 5:30pm,
a little bit at kung fu, doughing up before the warm up, and some chi gung breathing stuff at the end.
no one is expected to believe in chi (we don't do any pressure point stuff etc) and the general physical and mental advantages are explained as well as the philosophical stuff for the believers.
I don't believe in any of it, but I quite like the little bits that we do, if nothing else hitting yourself before the class starts is a good psychological warm up. and the mind clearing at the end helps switch me out of the punching people mood.

edit: we don't have any codes or ethics beyond, don't be a dick.

Walkman
6/01/2006 5:33pm,
Back in my youth, when I was a MA nut-rider of the first order, I was way into The Bushido Code, Zen, Chi, and any other variant of MA spirituality. Over the years, I've settled into my own religious and spiritual belief system, that aspect of MA has faded. I've come to associate a lot of the "benefits" and "personal growth" of the spiritual part of MA with similar results from any disciplined sporting activity.You may find more focus on those ideals in MA than in, say, football, but...

vigilus
6/01/2006 5:33pm,
Perhaps I should have worded the queston better such as Do you practice anything approaching spirituality when you study/learn/use martial arts.

Do you need to believe in god to be a TRUE martial artist? It's about as rediculous a question anyway.

I think a better example would have been saying do you need to be religious to believe in God. (Which I'd say no).

I'm not suggesting a martial artist has to be all philisophical and ki energy magic to do what they do. I'm asking when you do YOUR martial arts is it purely physical to you or is there more to it than hitting someone.

we don't have any codes or ethics beyond, don't be a dick. if you at your level of training was sparing against someone who was there on their first day would you go full out and beat the **** out of them or would you tone it down and take it easy on them (compared to sparing against someone your own level or above)
I'd personally consider that a code of conduct or ethics.

Mr. Jones
6/01/2006 5:38pm,
edit: we don't have any codes or ethics beyond, don't be a dick.
What the **** is this then:

The Four Wude
"JIE"[email protected]
"GON"[email protected]
"DAN"[email protected]
"YI"[email protected]
p46====
JIE... Don't show
or use moves
thoughtlessly.
GON... Practice
without neglect.
p47----
DAN... Judge with
a clear mind.
YI... Do not
hesitate to do the
right thing.

crowey
6/01/2006 5:40pm,
if you at your level of training was sparing against someone who was there on their first day would you go full out and beat the **** out of them or would you tone it down and take it easy on them (compared to sparing against someone your own level or above)
I'd personally consider that a code of conduct or ethics.
like I said, our code is don't be a dick.
not being a dick covers many things, like not destroying the newbies in their first sparring session.

Torakaka
6/01/2006 5:41pm,
If you do an activity where you have to cooperate with other human beings, there MUST be a certain level of respect, and an understanding of what's acceptable behavior. This has nothing to do with spirituality, or a martial "code" like bushido (which I was pretty sure just came down to "obey your master"), it's just about being a reasonable human being or getting your ass kicked out of the school for being a jackass. There've never been any spoken rules at any school I've gone to, it's just expected that people not be assholes, and generally that's how things go.

crowey
6/01/2006 5:42pm,
What the **** is this then:

The Four Wude
"JIE"[email protected]
"GON"[email protected]
"DAN"[email protected]
"YI"[email protected]
p46====
JIE... Don't show
or use moves
thoughtlessly.
GON... Practice
without neglect.
p47----
DAN... Judge with
a clear mind.
YI... Do not
hesitate to do the
right thing.
no idea, but we don't do that ****.
my club doesn't really go in for all the traditional stuff.

Torakaka
6/01/2006 5:43pm,
and spirituality doesn't mean being nice or respectful, it just means believing in the human soul or the metaphysical.

Mr. Jones
6/01/2006 5:43pm,
I wish Mr. Mantis was here so he could explain what the heck a wude is.