PDA

View Full Version : Judo in a sea of TKD

Zakohaki
5/26/2006 7:58pm,
New to the forums, but I've been cruising them for about a month. I'm getting back into Judo after a LONG break...like 15 years. Also studied kendo for awhile but got tired of swinging bamboo in front of a mirror. Let me just say, Judo is not easy to find over here in South Korea. McDojo TKD is EVERYWHERE, mostly geared towards kids as a kind of after school activity.

But, after reading so much about BJJ, I'm thinking about that as a new direction if Judo doesn't work out. Anyways, about TKD, until you've been to South Korea, you have no idea how widespread these McDojos are over here. It really makes finding a place to study Judo nearly impossible. That and the virtual hatred some Koreans have for Japanese martial arts.

JonK
5/26/2006 9:39pm,
My judo (yudo) instructor is from Korea, and I know he lived in Seoul for a while. I'll try to ask him if he knows any good clubs.

DerAuslander
5/27/2006 1:34am,
Check out Yongin University. They were established as a yudo college after the Occupation.

JonK
5/27/2006 11:05am,
I talked with my instructor; turns out that he went to Yongin.

So yeah, what ^ said.

DerAuslander
5/27/2006 11:36am,
Yudo is huge in Korea.

Don't look for Judo, you might not find it under that name.

It should be fairly easy to find a yudo dojang, and there are a couple good BJJ gyms in Seoul.

Zakohaki
5/27/2006 4:27pm,
Thanks a lot guys. I'm actually not too far from Yong-in city. I'll try and get some info. Good to know I won't be forced to take TKD...ouch! Never went in for all of that acrobatic kicking anyways.

TKDer
5/27/2006 5:41pm,
New to the forums, but I've been cruising them for about a month. I'm getting back into Judo after a LONG break...like 15 years. Also studied kendo for awhile but got tired of swinging bamboo in front of a mirror. Let me just say, Judo is not easy to find over here in South Korea. McDojo TKD is EVERYWHERE, mostly geared towards kids as a kind of after school activity.

But, after reading so much about BJJ, I'm thinking about that as a new direction if Judo doesn't work out. Anyways, about TKD, until you've been to South Korea, you have no idea how widespread these McDojos are over here. It really makes finding a place to study Judo nearly impossible. That and the virtual hatred some Koreans have for Japanese martial arts.

That's exaclty why serious TKDers in South Korea go the reputable dojangs with night ly adult sessions or study at universities or private institutions. The kiddie trend is shifting though. More and more adults are coming back to TKD in Korea. 2005 in Korea noticed a dramatic increase in adult TKD practitioners.

Ronin.74
5/27/2006 5:47pm,
Where are you located in Seoul? I lived there for 4 years and trained with an excellent Yudo instructor in the Kangnam area. There were no small kids in his classes, mostly high school students and young college students. There are also at least 3-4 BJJ clubs in Seoul now. You just need to start looking around. I know one of them used to run a weekly ad in one of the English newspapers, but they may not anymore. Let me know where you are located and I'll see if what I can find out for you.

halfcut
5/27/2006 6:32pm,
If Yong-in University doesn't work out go to a police station and ask around for a Yudo club. I'm sure they can stear you in the right direction. When I lived in Pyongtaek I trained at a Yudo school that were most of the students were police officers or ROK army.

TKDer
5/27/2006 9:18pm,
If Yong-in University doesn't work out go to a police station and ask around for a Yudo club. I'm sure they can stear you in the right direction. When I lived in Pyongtaek I trained at a Yudo school that were most of the students were police officers or ROK army.

The police would definitely know. The four martial arts the ROK police recognize are Taekwondo, Hapkido, Yudo, and Kumdo.

Zakohaki
5/28/2006 8:02am,
I'm in one of the satellite cities called Bundang, about halfway between Yong-in and Kangnam in Seoul. I agree with you on the TKD being more serious among the university students. A few clubs / teams at the university I teach at...definitely more reputable than the Anime-logo'd dojangs on every other block. I'll ask my wife to check around online for me. She oughta get a kick out of me studying a Japanese MA rather than one of the homegrown variety.

TKDer
5/28/2006 9:58am,
Yudo is very good. It seems we Korean have adopted our own style of Judo, our own of playing the game. Sort of like how tennis players from the US and Europe differ in style a bit.

And it seems you would be interested in TKD if it werent for the shitty McDojangs. I suggest that if you want to do both Yudo and TKD or just TKD you should really check out a serious dojang with adult night sessions or train at a private insitution or university. They are the real deal.

DojangRat
5/28/2006 3:10pm,
TKD is easy to mass produce thats why it is so popular. judo is the other olympic sport and crossing TKD with Judo might not be a bad idea, but you will be traning in two sports. unless of course your school does not focus on the sport aspect of it

Ronin.74
5/28/2006 3:27pm,
There is a Yudo school I think it is near YeokSam Dong in KangNam. It wouldn't not be that far of a trip from Bundang. It is called MungHwa Yudo Jang ( I think).
Also there is quite a bit offered in the Bundang area. I used to train TKD in Bundang in the evenings it was mostly kids but generally more older students showed up to the later classes. I never really did much training with the kids the instructors would split the class all of the older students (high school and College kids) would be in a separate group for training. If there were very few older students in class that night it didn't matter they still split us up which equalled semi private instruction.

But I also know that there is Hapkido, Kickboxing, and Kung Fu in Budang so I am sure that other styles will also be available.

ozyabbas
3/09/2007 6:04am,
Can anyone tell me if there are any bjj/submission wrestling/judo/yudo gyms around yongin. I know theres a university somewhere but i thinks its only for people enrolled in the university.

If anyone around yongin wants a training partner i would really appreciate it. My email address is [email protected]

I really don't want to be forced into doing tkd which sucks. I did it before and it was boring but it will keep me in shape.