PDA

View Full Version : preformance anxiety

Pages : [1] 2

Tshin
5/19/2006 9:32pm,
Well, i've made the decision to leave my TKD dojang. And i've searched around, I plan to goto a Muay Thai gym in Philidelphia, and this local MMA place as well. I'm worried that I'll be expected to preform at a higher level then other people, due to previous training. Anyone have some stories about switching training places, the good the bad the ugly type of stuff?

pauli
5/19/2006 9:41pm,
if you've told them about your previous tkd experience, i think the last thing you have to worry about is high expectations.

more seriously, if your new instructors are any good and you show a strong willingness to train and learn, wtf are you worried about?

Tshin
5/19/2006 9:57pm,
I didn't tell him about the tkd as much as Kick Boxing, its not that I made myself look good, but I guess i'm nervous about being around a whole new group of martial artists and all that.

Ke?poFist
5/19/2006 10:12pm,
Ya know the best part about sports MA gyms? It doesn't matter what you made yourself out to be, or what you claim to be...what you really are will shine through within the first three classes.

Binary
5/19/2006 11:14pm,
Now, I have no actual factual basis on this, but that has yet to stop me.

As I know I think it works a bit like prison. Either **** up a guard on your first day or kill someone. That way they won't mess with you because they know you are crazy.
Though I'm not sure how the cross shanking laws work when converting from one gym to another. The laws of shankinomics are still being actively defined so are readily subject to change. But I believe if you do it on tuesday then you are allowed a shive no longer than your hand from palm to finger tip.

Seriously? Just give it your all, and hang the lot of them if they give you any **** for it. You're there doing what you can, and that is all they can expect out of you.
More power to you for getting out of TKD though.

Askari
5/20/2006 1:29pm,
Just hang and enjoy yourself. You've put on the figurative white belt and admited you have something to learn - that gets you respect.

CanucKyokushin
5/20/2006 1:35pm,
Well, i've made the decision to leave my TKD dojang. And i've searched around, I plan to goto a Muay Thai gym in Philidelphia, and this local MMA place as well. I'm worried that I'll be expected to preform at a higher level then other people, due to previous training. Anyone have some stories about switching training places, the good the bad the ugly type of stuff?:thebirdma

Not to burst you bubble.But how well do you think you will be?You may be leaving one striking style for another but MT is supposed to be hard in cardio.You could become gassed after 5 minutes of warm-up.

Tshin
5/20/2006 2:10pm,
I'm in pretty good shape compared to what I was a year ago. Having lost hella weight, i'm hoping to find something more strenuous then what my previous training offered. My way of looking at it is if I get gassed, so be it. I'll work upto being able to do a whole class constructively instead of suckin wind.

By the way, the MMA class went well.

BSDaemon
5/20/2006 2:35pm,
I think if you explain that you have done TKD, they will expect you to perform at a much lower level, especially at the clinch and ground ranges. They might expect you can kick well but that is about it.

I have a story about switching training places... I walked into a Gracie Barra Brazilian Jiu Jitsu school with my Karate Gi, and walked out with a torn Karate Gi and a damaged elbow joint capsule (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4484668185211770452&q=bjj+karate). Gave me something to ponder for the next 4 months.

crowey
5/20/2006 2:47pm,
I joined an MMA club about 3 months ago, my kung fu teachers train there too, so the MMA guys knew I at least semi-knew how to fight. as soon as I mentioned I do TKD as well, they made me go right back to basics. And I've been promised that I'll get TKD sucks jokes for at least another 5 years (how long I did TKD for). luckily for me, I don't suck too badly, so I don't get mocked too much.
anyhoo, to answer your question, chances are if you tell them you do TKD they'll laugh and take the piss a bit. If you really put the effort in, admit your weaknesses and are prepared to learn, they shouldn't rag on you too much.

Ke?poFist
5/20/2006 2:59pm,
hah, thats funny. They make you go back to basics just because of your TKD base....

Slydermv
5/20/2006 4:27pm,
Well I do both currently. I got razzed pretty hard when I did a jumping back kick during sparring. The whole gym was busting my balls about not screaming at the top of my lungs during the kick for the rest of the sparring match... but it was all in good fun.

The transition isn't that bad though. I started from basics of course, but I have no trouble keeping my hands up and not bouncing around like a fool... and I kick better then most... *shrugs*

Funny thing is... whenever I got back to my TKD classes, my hands drop back to my waist... heheh

wagamichi
5/20/2006 4:31pm,
Is this the right forum? this is training issues right? Opps...Tard.

Tshin
5/20/2006 5:20pm,
meh, when they asked i talked about my KickBoxing experience more then my TKD...It was fine.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
5/22/2006 6:24am,
What's the matter with having to perform?

PhilipOs
5/23/2006 6:21am,
I found the transition from Taekwondo to Muay Thai fairly easy, you pick things up faster than when you where a complete beginner I found. I went back to Taekwondo tonight for the first time in about 5 months...man it was lame