PDA

View Full Version : MMA Distant Training?

angry welshman
5/16/2006 9:37am,
Living in a semi-rural part of North Wales, I have no MMA gyms that are close enough to me to be a reasonable option for training.

Until I get my driver's license (and hopefully frequent Karl Tanswell's gym), I need an alternative. Are there any distant learning programs for MMA, other than Mark Hatmaker and co? Right now I'm thinking Mark is my best bet, though the general opinion of him seems a bit lukewarm.

Or could I just get some SBG productions and throwdown with some training partners, then go to Karl's as often as I can on the train? :[

PirateJon
5/16/2006 10:13am,
No.

Videos and books are the MA equivalent of a vitamin supplement - good, but not a complete meal. Without the proper supervision you may be training yourself in bad habits that would have to be unlearned. A type of anti-training if you will.

If there is nothing at all worth taking near you (boxing, mt, judo, bjj, jjj, even stuff like some types of karate, savate, TSD, kali, **** nearly anything has something worth learning) I'd say hit the weights and work your cardio.

BoardHitBack
5/16/2006 10:53am,
Living in a semi-rural part of North Wales, I have no MMA gyms that are close enough to me to be a reasonable option for training.[

How far out are we talking- past llangollen? I know there's a JKD concepts/shooto MMA school in wrexham, might be cool for u when u can drive.

Surely there is somewhere to box in the meantime?

Mjelva
5/16/2006 11:29am,
I agree. If you can't do MMA, do boxing or something.

angry welshman
5/16/2006 4:41pm,
Re: MMA school in Wrexham - you're talking about the Rabbit Hutch right? That was my first choice. I've also heard there is something going on in Llandudno, but I'll need to get my conditioning up first - apparently they've had Thai Boxers throwing up because the training was too intense! :XXpuke:

The closest place for boxing would be Rhyl, but being the kind of town it is I'm apprehensive of joining a club there. :icon_sad:

Poop Loops
5/16/2006 4:53pm,
Check it out at least. Beggers can't be choosers.

BoardHitBack
5/16/2006 5:52pm,
Re: MMA school in Wrexham - you're talking about the Rabbit Hutch right? That was my first choice. I've also heard there is something going on in Llandudno, but I'll need to get my conditioning up first - apparently they've had Thai Boxers throwing up because the training was too intense! :XXpuke:

The closest place for boxing would be Rhyl, but being the kind of town it is I'm apprehensive of joining a club there. :icon_sad:

Rhyl is awesome- is the shop called "the biggest receiver of stolen goods in rhyl" still there?

The beach there is truly amazing.:tshirt:

The school in wrexham I was thinking of was scimitar

Hope that helps

angry welshman
5/17/2006 1:50pm,
Rhyl is a shithole. As far as I know, yes, that shop is still there.

alex
5/17/2006 3:27pm,
well its worth a shot, just because a school is in a shitty area doesnt mean its a bad school.

angry welshman
5/18/2006 5:44am,
I'm not concerned about the coaching quality, just the fact that I'm likely to be training with a lot of chavs.

JohnnyCache
5/18/2006 6:00am,
Rhyl is awesome- is the shop called "the biggest receiver of stolen goods in rhyl" still there?

The beach there is truly amazing.:tshirt:

The school in wrexham I was thinking of was scimitar

Hope that helps

My ancestral home, mocked?

Man, give them a shot. It can't be so horrible that it's not safe to try a class.

AW, man, before you buy a bunch of tapes and stuff, look at your timeframe, and look at your cardio. You might be better spent getting in awesome shape so that when you can get to MMA you're a sponge.