PDA

View Full Version : Enter the Enshin

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Kung-Fu-Ramma
5/08/2006 8:54pm,
First thread, thought I'd say hello and go through all that regular forum noobie jazz. I currently study Enshin karate and plan to further my studies by becoming a live-in student for a few years, but as for right now I'm slowly working my way up the ranks and getting the most out of the class to better my martial art horizons. I've taken Tae Kwon Do for a year before I grew some hair on my chest and realized I spent a year learning how to kick and run, so when I bash Tae Kwon Do (and I will after a while) then don't say I don't know anything about it. I read up a lot on Wing Chun and Jeet Kune Do and plan to learn them and apply them to my inbred, bastard child of a martial arts style that I generally use in casual fights. I have not been professionally trained but I'm very familiar with Kendo and I hope it as well as Fencing in college. I believe that's just about it for the summary of me, and so you don't have to type Kung-Fu-Ramma(name of a movie night I have at my house) each time, call me KFR, Colin, or whatever you will, I really don't care.

CanucKyokushin
5/08/2006 9:03pm,
I'll call you a dirty-noob.How about that?

TKDer
5/08/2006 9:05pm,
First thread, thought I'd say hello and go through all that regular forum noobie jazz. I currently study Enshin karate and plan to further my studies by becoming a live-in student for a few years, but as for right now I'm slowly working my way up the ranks and getting the most out of the class to better my martial art horizons. I've taken Tae Kwon Do for a year before I grew some hair on my chest and realized I spent a year learning how to kick and run, so when I bash Tae Kwon Do (and I will after a while) then don't say I don't know anything about it. I read up a lot on Wing Chun and Jeet Kune Do and plan to learn them and apply them to my inbred, bastard child of a martial arts style that I generally use in casual fights. I have not been professionally trained but I'm very familiar with Kendo and I hope it as well as Fencing in college. I believe that's just about it for the summary of me, and so you don't have to type Kung-Fu-Ramma(name of a movie night I have at my house) each time, call me KFR, Colin, or whatever you will, I really don't care.

Wow a year of experience. You're just the regular TKD master aren't you? n00b..

Kung-Fu-Ramma
5/08/2006 9:08pm,
No but I managed to get halfway to blackbelt and didn't learn a damn thing I don't already know, I've also taken a year of Enshin Karate since this January and my skills have improved dramatically, I've actually learned techniques and styles and when to apply them, as well as striking, take downs, and ground combat, where as TKD taught me how to kick and how to do their impractical katas...that's actually just about it.

Lane
5/08/2006 9:13pm,
Here's my advice. Stick with the Enshin, maybe add the JKD, and drop the wing chun for judo or BJJ.

Kung-Fu-Ramma
5/08/2006 9:24pm,
My Sensei's studied in Judo, Hapkido, TKD, Enshin Karate and I believe Kendo. He's actually devoted time and effort into these, he's been in martial arts since he was 12, so it's not like he took a weekend seminar he's actually a qualified teacher in all of these. He'll usually devote Wednesdays to Judo unless we have a belt test coming up and need to practice forms, so my ground combat is generally covered, though I do plan to divulge into it a little more once I am out of Enshin . I planned to study under a teacher for Wing Chun and learn JKD from novels because it's basically become a philosophy that goes with Wing Chun to me. My friend's father has been studying Wing Chun all his life and from what I've seen it goes hand in hand with Enshin Karate, only deadlier.

EDIT - thanks for the advice though, I really do need a lot more ground combat.

El Neko
5/08/2006 9:32pm,
I love how he said only deadlier... is he for real or is he trying to ignite a flame war in here?

CNagy
5/08/2006 9:37pm,
Enshin, Warp 9, Engage.

I thought this area was supposed to be flame retardant. Uh, welcome to Bullshido, might want to lurk before leaving the hallowed ground of Newbietown.

As for bashing TKD, I'm sorry that you went to a ***** school. My TKD club taught us to box, in addition to kicking.

Kung-Fu-Ramma
5/08/2006 9:39pm,
Actually I just like the word deadlier. The resident Wing Chun expert I know is a repo man that enjoys showing tapes with the breaking of legs of people that try to get their car back, so I began to associate Wing Chun with deadly after the 28th knee/elbow breaking. Yes, every style could technically be used to break an elbow or a knee, I just like the ways Wing Chun gets there.

EDIT - this was a response to Neko, by the way. I do think I got gypped with the teacher I got, but the only other school that teaches were I live in Texas has uber high prices and from what I've been told by many of it's students, it's the same damn thing that I'm learning. Maybe it's just Texas, but I have yet to see a TKD school around here that teaches any real technique.

TKDer
5/08/2006 10:00pm,
Still man.. one year really isnt much to tell you anything.. especially in a slow paced time consuming TMA

Kung-Fu-Ramma
5/08/2006 10:16pm,
I see what you're getting at, but it's not slow paced if I am halfway to Blackbelt in a year. The black belts of my class were no better than I was as a white belt, but there are different schools with better teachers, I'm just saying I have yet to see a TKD class that taught me anything other than how to kick and run.

DerAuslander
5/08/2006 10:17pm,
Taekwondo is Karate developed by Koreans.

Enshin is Karate developed from Kyokushin.

Kyokushin is Karate developed by a Korean.

Ergo, Enshin is Taekwondo.

TKDer
5/08/2006 10:19pm,
OMG.. You don't say??? You mean i actualy do t3h d3adly Enshin?

DerAuslander
5/08/2006 10:21pm,
OMG.. You don't say??? You mean i actualy do t3h d3adly Enshin?

No.

You do dancing vagina foot slap fighting.

TKDer
5/08/2006 10:22pm,
I see what you're getting at, but it's not slow paced if I am halfway to Blackbelt in a year. The black belts of my class were no better than I was as a white belt, but there are different schools with better teachers, I'm just saying I have yet to see a TKD class that taught me anything other than how to kick and run.

I don't understand what you mean by kick and run? TKD isn't meant to be a ring fight or to exactly simulate real combat. It's to develop one's techniques against a live opponent in a stressful, contact setting. Contrary to belif on BS.net, TKD guys can and do kick very hard.

That being said, TKD sparring isn't without its problems. There are cetain holes that need to be patched up. But TKD has its merits too. I'm sorry that you had to go and quit it. Enshin and TKD would've actually made a cool combo.

TKDer
5/08/2006 10:23pm,
No.

You do dancing vagina foot slap fighting.

it's okay. it's t3h d3adly.