PDA

View Full Version : What happened to Carlos Newton?

Pages : [1] 2

HearWa
5/07/2006 7:42am,
Ever since I watched him fight a huge Kyukoshin Karate guy named Jean Riviere when he was nineteen I've been a fan of his. However, unfortunately his last fight was on 10/14/2004, and he suffered through three consecutive losses this day included.

So did he get frustrated and go back to sharpen up his game? He's only thirty so I can't see him quitting due to his age.

I guess coming back after a two year absense is a lot to ask, though.

Captain Spaulding
5/07/2006 9:37am,
I read somewhere (I think Sherdog) that towards the end of his career, he was trying to balance being a professional fighter at a very high level and being a full-time medical student. As a result, his training and subsequest performance in fights suffered. I think what happened is he chose the medical route instead of fighting (please correct me if I'm wrong).

I loved watching his fights; never boring.

Method2Madness
5/07/2006 11:05am,
I have read that he's going to be fighting again soon, and he still has some fights left in him. I have also heard that he may be planning to fight at around 220.

Goju - Joe
5/07/2006 12:25pm,
I am attending a three hour seminar with him next week and I'll try and ask

Goldust
5/07/2006 7:52pm,
I always liked Newton but his last few fights he really looked quite sluggish. I don't know, maybe he's just had to many hard fights and he's worn out. Also I would imagine that trying to attend school full time and also train to compete at a world class level would be almost impossible.

Gringo Grande
5/07/2006 7:54pm,
Carlos is a cover identity for Ricky Williams.

GG

HearWa
5/08/2006 4:44pm,
Is Carlos Newton in Toronto? And if so does he have a gym open?

It would be kind of cool to tell people you take "Dragonball Z Jiu-Jitsu," watch them laugh, and then proceed to RNC them. :D

Samfoo
5/08/2006 6:32pm,
Is Carlos Newton in Toronto? And if so does he have a gym open?

It would be kind of cool to tell people you take "Dragonball Z Jiu-Jitsu," watch them laugh, and then proceed to RNC them. :D

If by "cool" and "Dragonball Z" you mean "fucking retarded excuse for entertainment" then, yes it would be cool.

Samfoo
5/08/2006 6:33pm,
More seriously though, I would love to know what happened to him as well. I had a documentary on him (I think I still might), and it seemed like he was an extremely cool guy. Very well educated and committed to his jiu-jitsu.

j416to
5/08/2006 7:01pm,
Carlos Newton has been training and teaching at the same school he's been associated with for his entire life, a TKD/Judo/JJJ dojo called Warrior Martial Arts Centre, in Newmarket, Ontario.

http://www.warriormac.com/

HearWa
5/08/2006 7:13pm,
If by "cool" and "Dragonball Z" you mean "fucking retarded excuse for entertainment" then, yes it would be cool.
Wow, lighten up. It would be cool because of the retarded affiliation. Kind of a WTF moment; and a good way to piss off someone going around saying he takes "Muay Thai and Jiu-Jitsu" in as tough a voice as he can muster. It's a joke, duh.

Carlos Newton actually threw "Dragonball Z" into the name of his style to attract a younger demographic to his classes. It's a good way to attract a younger crowd and hence keep them away from whatever McDojo they would have likely ended up in. It's a smart ploy, actually.

Now drop and give me 50.

HearWa
5/08/2006 7:16pm,
More seriously though, I would love to know what happened to him as well. I had a documentary on him (I think I still might), and it seemed like he was an extremely cool guy. Very well educated and committed to his jiu-jitsu.
Tell me where I can download this alleged documentary and I'LL do the 50 push ups.

Goju - Joe
5/08/2006 7:32pm,
Newton seminar info

http://www.mixedmartialartsexpo.com/popups/page140.htm

Samfoo
5/08/2006 7:33pm,
Tell me where I can download this alleged documentary and I'LL do the 50 push ups.

I originally found it on mma-tracker, but I think I deleted it, and I don't see it there anymore. I'm still looking around to see if I still have it.

Goju - Joe
5/08/2006 7:37pm,
I have met him and he is indeed a very cool and easy going guy.

Usually the tougher the person the more laid back they are IMO.

HearWa
5/08/2006 7:54pm,
Usually the tougher the person the more laid back they are IMO.
That's usually true. However, the reverse isn't true. Just because a person is laid back doesn't mean they're tough. ;)