PDA

View Full Version : So, I dont know much about longfist styles...

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

oni
5/04/2006 11:48am,
but are they supposed to look like anything this?

Just seems a bit wrong - very loose, lots of spinning, crossing your feet and generally bad things...

anyone fancy taking a look?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnCG7n2HIA8&search=kung%20fu%20demo

Ke?poFist
5/04/2006 12:00pm,
Windmills of DOOM!!!!

shortround
5/04/2006 12:12pm,
It's too bad, they have a lot of pretty nice equipment not being used very well.

Bean0r
5/04/2006 12:15pm,
Everyone in that video is pretty awful but I am not a longfist fan to begin with either.

Seraphim
5/04/2006 12:22pm,
Awful?

Are you crazy that was some mad ****. :sniperdan

Useless mad ****, but fun to watch.

Bean0r
5/04/2006 12:29pm,
I was really not even impressed with their forms. They weren't crisp and there was no power behind any of the moves. I mean, Longfist can be silly in a lot of ways, but when you do it right you can have some power behind the moves by coordinating your body, extending arms. It sort of makes me question why they are even doing forms if it isn't to condition themselves and develop power in their techniques.

It is Fake
5/04/2006 12:32pm,
I didn't look through to see the guys website. If he is trying to say Self defense he is an ass. If it is performanced based it is correct.

edit: oops yep craptacular. It is a Modern Wushu school trying to use self defense. Crap.

Ronin.74
5/04/2006 12:49pm,
Typical performance Wushu. Even their "sparring" clips in that vid looked preplanned.

MajinFajita
5/04/2006 12:53pm,
Seeing kung fu videos like that make me wonder if my Chinese ancestors all fought like pussies, given that these "deadly arts" survived to this day....

Bean0r
5/04/2006 12:57pm,
Seeing kung fu videos like that make me wonder if my Chinese ancestors all fought like pussies, given that these "deadly arts" survived to this day....

I doubt it. Training was rough, and full contact fights were common. People put in long hours, there was no such thing as contemporary wushu, and they sparred a lot. I think it's safe to say that traditionally they were probably pretty good fighters, but a lot of that is lost because of the cultural revolution which tried to turn traditional styles of wushu into a performance sport. This may also be why the vast majority of Taiji players in the world use it as a health exercise.

Seraphim
5/04/2006 1:08pm,
What I want to know is how did these techniques get developed? Why not just a jab. To me a jab, or a reverse punch seems so much more logical then flailing ones arms..then spinning while backing up to evade.

pauli
5/04/2006 1:11pm,
within the context of what they appeared to be trying to do, i think they were doing it well. i have no idea what that IS, but they seemed consistent.

i just wish my sparring partners would try some of that stuff...

i particularly liked the "arms straight up and down halfassed body check" technique. ideal for those of us who have grudges against their own shoulders. and faces. and torsos.

Emevas
5/04/2006 1:17pm,
What I want to know is how did these techniques get developed? Why not just a jab. To me a jab, or a reverse punch seems so much more logical then flailing ones arms..then spinning while backing up to evade.

The jab is actually a pretty revolutionary technique according to Mark Hatmaker in "Savage Strikes". It was createdf and used by James J. Corbett against John L. Sullivan. Prior to that, the lead hand was used to simply post against the other guy while you plastered him with rear hand haymakers.

SifuAbel
5/04/2006 2:01pm,
they sucked.

HwangJangLee
5/04/2006 3:01pm,
lots of flaling arms and high front snap kicks. yup thats long fist style

Chuan
5/04/2006 3:04pm,
Ugghhh...Bad. Contrary to what you see in that vid, "Kung Fu" forms are not supposed to be performed at 100 mph with no power or focus. Where this misconception came to be...I have no idea, I guess for the tourny scene.

The 2 man drills are awful as they teach some very bad habits. :dog: