PDA

View Full Version : Is ninjutsu effective?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Ace101
4/24/2006 10:37pm,
Aside from being LARPers, is ninjutsu even useful in a fight? I sat in on a bujinkan class and well I was speechless because I was laughing hard. Seriously, though I'm open to every martial art, so anyone with first hand experience know if this is useful for self defense?

Goju - Joe
4/24/2006 10:43pm,
Hey buddy! Obviously you've never had to scale a castle wall. Silently kill the guards and pop a poison dart in someone's ass or you wouldn't need to ask such a silly question.

The Limey
TROLL!!!

HwangJangLee
i dont mean to be SO OPEN MINDED and say, probobly not

Virus
4/24/2006 10:45pm,
You mean strictly speaking Ninjitsu or the Taijutsu that the bujinkan learn? Ninjitsu, at least the togakure I've seen is some very odd looking kata that I wouldn't put much faith in for real fighting. I believe ninjistu was mostly concerned with stealth, espionage, other non-combative things. The combative stuff is morre to do with using weapons like the shuko, metsubishi and shuriken. I think that "ninjas" if they really existed, used the same jujitsu technqiues that everyone else was doing when it came to fighting. If you mean is Bujinkan useful in a fight? It can be. I mostly depends on how you train it. The bujinkan loves compliant training and that has many limitations when it comes to real self defence. Like anything, the closer your training comes to real fighting the more useful it will be for self defence.

Cassius
4/24/2006 10:47pm,
Man, when I saw this guy's name, I was hoping it was the return of Ace Skippy. That guy was great.

Shuma-Gorath
4/24/2006 10:48pm,
No.

Since that's too short an answer for the minimum post length: Never.

Ace101
4/24/2006 10:55pm,
I guess I'll trust my gut and the responses to save my money.

bran sao
4/24/2006 11:12pm,
It's only effective against other ninjas. :ninjadanc :ninjadanc

Matsufubu
4/24/2006 11:19pm,
If you plan on winning, probably not.

This thread takes me back years.

Virus
4/25/2006 12:00am,
Ninjitsu is effective if you train like this:
http://www.e-budo.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20451

Any other bujinkan dojo in that situation would have said that they train to "survive" and that martial arts was about becoming a better person.

Virus
4/25/2006 12:22am,
I dunno, does this work in a real fight?

http://www.members.kconline.com/warsawmartialart/cross%20arm%20throw2_00.WMV

JohnnyCache
4/25/2006 12:25am,
hm

Sometimes I am torn between two responses

IE

"OH yeah it's hella effective if your neighborhood is infested with pesky oyabun and shogun's enforcers!"

Vs

"You know, we don't really like people that blindly toe the party line anymore then we like ninjas"

Sometimes I can't choose.

Torakaka
4/25/2006 12:29am,
I hate ninjas.

Hannibal
4/25/2006 12:43am,
Ace101.

Let me give you my answer.

Ninjustu (it's correct name is Bujinkan okay ?) is a very fucked up system. It has problems. Mainly because of the way its taught in Japan. You have people in the Bujinkan who are great, but most are not so good.

The problem with the Bujnkan is most clubs do no sparring. No free practice. I'm serious. They attack each other with obvious lunge punches and just stand there letting their partner put the technique on. That and most Bujinkan clubs do not focus on hard, athletic training.

If you have your heart set on it, look around. But before you choose to train anywear make sure that they do sparring and if they don't do a U turn and walk straight out the door.

Personally your better off taking another art. Your full contact competition styles tun out your better quality fighters. Your kickboxing,boxing, wrestling, Judo,BJJ, mauy thai, full contact karate, you know what I mean right ? Since you do Muay Thai I would stick with that. By far its one of the best striking arts around.

plasma
4/25/2006 7:59am,
No.

Since that's too short an answer for the minimum post length: Never.

Listen to Shuma, his word is gold.