PDA

View Full Version : Excited!

TaeBo_Master
5/10/2003 1:15pm,
I was at my WT class yesterday when Sifu announced that very soon we're gonna start going to the ground and learning how to fight there. I'm looking forward to this for a couple reasons. First of all, I'm only a 2nd Student Grade, and ground fighting is usually taught to the upper levels. Also, Sifu said that it wouldn't be very realistic for him to only teach stand up fighting, which seems to me to mean that he's going to take this groundfighting very serious. If you guys like, after I learn a fair amount of this curriculum, I can write an article about it, and perhaps compare it to some of the grappling I've learned.

--A poor band player I was, but now I am crocodile king. --

Shura
5/10/2003 1:45pm,
Good for you. Until you learn groundfighting, you only know half the story.

Now doesn't that make you feel better?

'It's all a ruse with Shura'-Kaine

MrMcFu
5/10/2003 1:53pm,
I'm suprised you haven't done that already. My WT school does that at least once a week.

Sifu Emin - Did you see that?
Me - (gasping) No, but I can't breathe yet.

deus ex machina
5/10/2003 5:09pm,
Better late than never.

And please, write an article when you're finished. Many of us would appreciate an insight into the WT approach to groundfighting. Cheers.

~
danny

"All this talk about 'newbies' is making me a little nervous. You guys don't have any sort of secret hazing initiation involving wooden paddles and me screaming 'Thank you sir, may I have another?!' do you?"

deus ex machina
5/10/2003 5:10pm,
you're finished

When he shows it to you rather.

~
danny

"All this talk about 'newbies' is making me a little nervous. You guys don't have any sort of secret hazing initiation involving wooden paddles and me screaming 'Thank you sir, may I have another?!' do you?"

Punisher
5/10/2003 6:07pm,
You know the reason why we don't do ground work and my school?

Here's a hint, it has nothing to do with my instructor feeling it is inferior or irrelevant.

The answer, my instructor is honest enough with him self to know he doesn't have the experience or knowledge to teach it to others. He concentrates on what he knows, and encourages others that are interested in such things to seek outside instruction and bring that knowledge back to share.

It's great your school is starting to included groundwork, but if you have never done it there before and your instructor hasn't taken any new classes, I'd be a little wary of the quality. I lot of schools expand into areas that they are not qualified in to attract new students and retain old ones. I'm not saying this is the case here, but most places more crap is just more crap.

Edited by - Punisher on May 10 2003 18:09:03

poet
5/10/2003 9:06pm,
"The answer, my instructor is honest enough with him self to know he doesn't have the experience or knowledge to teach it to others. He concentrates on what he knows, and encourages others that are interested in such things to seek outside instruction and bring that knowledge back to share."

This is what my sifu does as well.
One of his students, who in turn is his sifu, does b/j JJ

"My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right."
Ashleigh Brilliant

Blad3
5/10/2003 9:08pm,
Taebo that would be xecllent, if you wrote an article about it...

"Wrestling is the Martial Art of America";
"If you don't know how to wrestle you don't know how to fight, that's the prerequisite to fighting" David Tank Abbott (http://www.sherdog.com/fightfinder/displayfighter.cfm?fighterid=110)

Punisher
5/11/2003 3:12am,
TaeBo,

I realized I misread, your post. I see know your school does teach groundwork, but only to upperlevel students. Make sense, gives people a reason to stick around. At my school we don't get into weapons handling until after black belt. No enough of an incentive to make people stick around if they don't want too, but it is a nice bonus for those who stick with it and make it that far.

Like I said, and have mentioned in several other posts, my instructors first clue that his grappling skills weren't up to par was when I was able to defeat him using the stand up skills he taught me. Since he had conculed long ago that most forms of grappling acutally held strategic advantages over most types of striking, he realized really quickly that he either had to do a lot of training to teach groundwork effectively, or just be honest and let people know that there are other more effectivwe things out there. Ultimately honesty was easier.