PDA

View Full Version : Japanese Jujitsu vs Shotokan Karate

Pages : [1] 2 3

Shogun1204
4/10/2006 5:09pm,
I have been looking at previous threads in regard to Shotokan Karate and Japanese Jujitsu. Both considered a "Traditional" Martial Art.

I have a choice between continuing studying JJJ (includes randori) which I just started lessons in or I could take up Shotokan Karate (Offered with full contact sparring).

I have past experience with TKD and MT, but have not been physically active for the last few years, so I need to work on getting into better shape too. I am 6'4" and about 220 lbs (not sure if body size/weight plays a role in which style would be a better choice) but my goals are to get into better shape and be able to handle myself good in a self defense situation. Not looking to be a UFC guy or anything. I have no other alternatives around where I live that is not just a commercial rip off place. I wanted to know from those experienced with both what is the best path to go? Which style may be best for me? I also have mild back problems from time to time if this plays a role in which way I should go. They offer 4 hours a week in either art. I also have access to cardio machines and weights to help get into better shape in addition to the MA training.

I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice on which may be a better art to study based on my body size , level of condition (been inactive for years) and goals (better shape and being able to handle myself in a self defense situation). Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Also I am 28 years old.

Thanks

Goju - Joe
4/10/2006 5:16pm,
Does the JJJ do any resistent grappling? If so go for that.

Shogun1204
4/10/2006 6:06pm,
The style is Goshin JJ, btw.

Taking both is not option due to my budget. I will have to decide between one or the other.

How is JJJ training on the back? Is it rough on your back?

elipson
4/10/2006 6:12pm,
How is JJJ training on the back? Is it rough on your back?

It can be. Lots of throwing and falling and torqueing in wierd angles.

JJJ schools are random, a lot are crap, some are really good. I would say if they are a modern type style, meaning they have changed the system to relate to the times, go for it. If its uber-traditional..... maybe not so much.

If you've done TKD and MT, you're gonna hate Shotokan. Learning to block a low kick with your forearm..... well you get the idea.

Shuma-Gorath
4/10/2006 6:13pm,
The style is Goshin JJ, btw.
NO. STOP.

Are you located in Toronto?

Shogun1204
4/10/2006 6:49pm,
How can you tell a good JJJ school from a bad one? How do you know if it is modern vs traditional? I am new to the jujitsu style MA so are there any signs to look for to tell if they are not up to modern times?

TKD had forearm blocks, etc. But when we did our sparring (was full contact) we never used blocks like that. Mainly only touched on them for forms/kata. The TKD school I went to was not big on forms/katas at all. The same school moved into MT. Unfortunately, I moved too far away to attend it anymore. The instructor said they do full contact sparring and he said he also teaches to use knees and elbows too with some grappling moves...I suppose karate can work if you are strong and fast, it is basically punching and kicking.

The jujitsu I am just totally unsure of, I have gone to some classes now but I don't know if it will be right for me and if it is taught too "traditional" without modern methods that would work in a modern day fight. I just don't want to attend classes learning something that is useless if I ever get into a fight.

I am not located in Toronto, I am in the USA.

Hannibal
4/10/2006 6:52pm,
Watch some classes and go for which ever one does the most sparring.

If you have done Taekwon do and Muay Thai there really is no point doing Shotokan. Then again Japanses Ju Justu maybe okay depending on how much sparring (randori) they do. If they don't do any sparring and if both clubs do not appeal to you, then don't join them.

Don't feel you need to train in something for the sake of it. If both clubs are **** your better off looking for something else. Surely there must be Judo...

Shogun1204
4/10/2006 6:57pm,
Hannibal,

But wouldn't Judo be very hard on the back? I have some back discomfort now and then so I am not sure how my back would handle the big throws all of the time? There is a Kodokan Judo school near by though.

Greese
4/10/2006 6:58pm,
How can you tell a good JJJ school from a bad one? How do you know if it is modern vs traditional? I am new to the jujitsu style MA so are there any signs to look for to tell if they are not up to modern times?

TKD had forearm blocks, etc. But when we did our sparring (was full contact) we never used blocks like that. Mainly only touched on them for forms/kata. The TKD school I went to was not big on forms/katas at all. The same school moved into MT. Unfortunately, I moved too far away to attend it anymore. The instructor said they do full contact sparring and he said he also teaches to use knees and elbows too with some grappling moves...I suppose karate can work if you are strong and fast, it is basically punching and kicking.

The jujitsu I am just totally unsure of, I have gone to some classes now but I don't know if it will be right for me and if it is taught too "traditional" without modern methods that would work in a modern day fight. I just don't want to attend classes learning something that is useless if I ever get into a fight.

Do you want to use this account or the tapout one?

Shogun1204
4/10/2006 7:04pm,
Greese,

Undecided. I may stick to this one. Not sure.

Why?

Hannibal
4/10/2006 7:14pm,
Ju Jitsu Jason.

If there is a good Judo club near by, go with that.

I say again. If you have already done Taekwon do and Muay Thai then there is really no point doing a strking art like Shotokan. I doubt you'll learn anything new.

I would choose Judo over Japanses Ju Justu because Judo is a competition based art in which clubs focus on fitness work and lots of sparring (randori).

As far as your back goes how bad is it. Judo has not given me back problems. In fact some of the stretches we do have helped it.

Cassius
4/10/2006 7:15pm,
Greese,

Undecided. I may stick to this one. Not sure.

Why?Because having multiple accounts on here is a permaban offense.

Shuma-Gorath
4/10/2006 7:16pm,
Don't listen to Hannibal; he's repeating generalizations and pretending they are an informed opinion. By all means take the Judo class but if you are worried about your back for any reason then it will likely exacerbate existing problems.

Ah, too bad. I have seen a local club that identifies itself as "Goshin Kai" and I would not recommend you train at any equivalent school. Does the Goshin club practice Kyoshin-Ryu?

Who is the Shotokan club run by?

Shogun1204
4/10/2006 7:17pm,
oh didn't know that, made another one with 1 post. Made it to change the name. But decided to post on my original.

Greese, you can delete the other one, I will stick with this one.

CaptainHowdy
4/10/2006 8:07pm,
What is the source/nature of your back pains? I have lower back pain caused by some minor problem with my spine, but my doctor tells me I can do pretty much anything except powerlifting. The only time I get this pain is if I'm bent forward for an extended amount of time (situps, toe-touches, etc.) There is usually some back pain for me after Judo depending on what throws/groundwork I did, but it's gone after about a day and has no adverse effects on my training.

So again, what is the source of your back pain? If you're worried about it, have it looked into by a doctor. If you're lucky like me, it's nothing serious and shouldn't influence your decision on what to train in.

Lane
4/10/2006 11:22pm,
Is Shotokan really old enough to be considered traditional?

Anyway, goshin jj is also gendai, so it is not traditional jujutsu. I'd... how to put this gingerly... avoid it like the plague.

Judo is not hard on the back, at all. It is if you land wrong, but.. well... pay attention when you learn breakfalls. Judo is a good art, especially if you have a sensei who focuses on mat work or you cross train in BJJ.

Oh, and Shotokan generally isn't the best form of karate. Look for a Kyokushin or Enshin-kai dojo in your area.