PDA

View Full Version : MMA Wannabes.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Devil
4/03/2006 4:11pm,
This Karate school is advertising MMA Training, although there's no indication that anyone at the school does or ever has competed in MMA. You can open their MMA flyer by clicking on Mixed Martial Arts Training at the top of the blue bar. Take a look at their description of what the training entails. Since when does Kendo training fall into the MMA category?
http://www.karateinternational.net/index_member.php

broken fingers
4/03/2006 4:35pm,
i just called, they use trad. japanese jujitsu. there is no sparring in the grappling/ MMA. low kicks are NOT allowed. in karate, low-contact allowed. contact increases with advancement.

so this pretty much means that these guys are having the same complication that The MMA kid! had when he thought standup+grappling=mma

Anna Kovacs
4/03/2006 4:41pm,
"I do MMA, i do Tae Kwon Do AND Aikido"----Some kid from yahoo.

DANINJA
4/03/2006 4:41pm,
I thought this thread was going to be about Blade(windu)

Crash
4/03/2006 4:49pm,
Well, it IS a mixture of martial arts...:laughing9

Torakaka
4/03/2006 4:59pm,

Even better "Oh yeah, we do MMA at our school. Sensei teaches traditional AND sport TKD." -My old roommate, aspiring professional TKDist.

Dagon Akujin
4/03/2006 5:00pm,
Originally, MMA just meant taking a couple of different styles (typically at least one striking and one grappling art) and training in them seperately, then taking what worked for you out of each of them and putting them together. By this definition, what they are doing in that program is definately "mixed".

However, MMA now could probably be better defined by calling it something else entirely. Maybe "Sport Fighting"? Maybe "NHB Martial Arts" (or "NHB-jitsu/do")? Maybe "Vale Tudo"? If that little pamphlet went back in time 8 years it'd be fully acceptable. Also, since many MMA schools have their own curriculums, they aren't having the students really learn to "mix" things, so it really is becoming it's own artform.

And Kendo? I can see someone needing to do a judo throw when they get their sword arm grabbed out on th3 str33t. Just kidding. HA HA HA HA HA. :XXspermy:

Dagon Akujin

Torakaka
4/03/2006 5:02pm,
Originally, MMA just meant taking a couple of different styles (typically at least one striking and one grappling art) and training in them seperately, then taking what worked for you out of each of them and putting them together. By this definition, what they are doing in that program is definately "mixed".

However, MMA now could probably be better defined by calling it something else entirely. Maybe "Sport Fighting"? Maybe "NHB Martial Arts" (or "NHB-jitsu/do")? Maybe "Vale Tudo"? If that little pamphlet went back in time 8 years it'd be fully acceptable. Also, since many MMA schools have their own curriculums, they aren't having the students really learn to "mix" things, so it really is becoming it's own artform.

And Kendo? I can see someone needing to do a judo throw when they get their sword arm grabbed out on th3 str33t. Just kidding. HA HA HA HA HA. :XXspermy:

Dagon Akujin

Was the acronym "MMA" really used simply to describe crosstraining? I've always thought MMA was just the name of the sport, like "kickboxing".

CanucKyokushin
4/03/2006 5:16pm,
Was the acronym "MMA" really used simply to describe crosstraining? I've always thought MMA was just the name of the sport, like "kickboxing".
MIX Martial Art

Dagon has the correct.

Torakaka
4/03/2006 5:20pm,
MIX Martial Art

Dagon has the correct.

does he actually? Your pointing out that MMA stands for Mixed Martial Arts doesn't really show that you have any actual knowledge on the history of the acronym's useage.

Darkpaladin
4/03/2006 5:27pm,
MMA as "style" has evolved into training in a canon of specific (higher percentage) martial arts. TKD and Aikido isn't MMA, where Boxing and Wrestling would be more reasonable.

However, MMA is more commonly used to refer to sportfighting regardless.

That said, I think saying "I train MMA" is a syntax error. "I train for MMA" would be more appropriate.

Cassius
4/03/2006 5:28pm,
does he actually? Your pointing out that MMA stands for Mixed Martial Arts doesn't really show that you have any actual knowledge on the history of the acronym's useage.Yeah, I'm kind of with Kid here.

I wouldn't call myself a historian, but I've never seen a reference to MMA before someone decided to come up with a more politically correct term to describe NHB fights (and a more accurate one, since there are plenty of "holds barred" in NHB). I'd love to see an article about the use of the word.

Cross training is the term I've always heard for training in two arts, but again, I'm not an expert. Perhaps this is a thread for the Martial Arts History Project?

CanucKyokushin
4/03/2006 5:29pm,
Are you asking me when did they decide to call it MMA.Well Vale Tudo had existed as far back as the fifties in Brazil.I think later on in the US they had NHB events in places like dive bars for a long time.I think even thought it was called NHB I believe it was usually promoted as a competition of Mix martial arts.

Isn't this one of those what came first the chicken or the egg.

ojgsxr6
4/03/2006 5:35pm,
I think it's one of things where the definition of MMA may have evolvled. It went from a ruleset that allowed standup and grapplling. The term was probably coined because it would have probably been easier to have sanctioned matches if it was called Mixed Martial Arts than if it was called No Holds Barred. Now people also refer to is as a style, where people train for the MMA ruleset as opposed to crosstraining and doing MMA sparring to bring the multiple styles together.

Edit: I got Ninja'd I think they said it better too.

DerAuslander
4/03/2006 5:43pm,
Going strictly on linguistics, I would say that training Aikido and Taekwondo would be MMA training.

It'd just be crap MMA training.

I'm also with Dark Paladin. "I train for mixed martial arts competition" is more gramatically correct, and makes more sense.

Regardless, the common lexicon prevails, and anyone who says they do MMA because they train in Shotokan and Kendo...is just stupid.

Torakaka
4/03/2006 6:03pm,
Are you asking me when did they decide to call it MMA.Well Vale Tudo had existed as far back as the fifties in Brazil.I think later on in the US they had NHB events in places like dive bars for a long time.I think even thought it was called NHB I believe it was usually promoted as a competition of Mix martial arts.

Isn't this one of those what came first the chicken or the egg.

I'm not talking about the history of MMA style competition, I'm merely referring to the history of the acronym's useage.

edit: since the abuse of the acronym is what we've been laughing about here. "I do MMA, by which I mean I train in shotokan and kendo." = erroneous.