PDA

View Full Version : anyone for Dumog?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Hiji kime
5/08/2003 8:24am,
In case you're wondering what it is, it's an indigenous form of grappling in the Philippines. I'd like to know if anyone here has seen it, studies it or knows if it's popular in your country (I know it's a long shot but who know..)

Anyway, here are a few pics to peruse. The guy dishing out the hurt is the grandmaster of Pekiti Tirsia kali, Leo Gaje. The event is the recent joint military exercise between the US and the Philippine marines. The Americans teach us how to use night vision stuff and we teach them how to get up close and personal with terrorism LOL

http://www.manilapitbulls.com/balikatan/d1.jpg
http://www.manilapitbulls.com/balikatan/d2.jpg
http://www.manilapitbulls.com/balikatan/d3.jpg

JKDChick
5/08/2003 10:55am,
Dumog's great. Lovely understanding of energy and leverage. We do it all the time.

"I'm willing to bet I could **** up an emu real good, if I got the drop on the bastard."
-- KC Elbows, my new hero.

FingerorMoon?
5/08/2003 10:51pm,
As long as the Americans didn't teach you how to avoid friendly fire.

--------
El Guapo says, ""You can buy muscles, but you can't buy COJONES!"
--------

Blad3
5/08/2003 11:01pm,
I've "heard" of it...

"Wrestling is the Martial Art of America";
"If you don't know how to wrestle you don't know how to fight, that's the prerequisite to fighting" David Tank Abbott (http://www.sherdog.com/fightfinder/displayfighter.cfm?fighterid=110)

Mercurius
5/08/2003 11:11pm,
I'd go home to Cebu and learn some, but I can only get a month off from work and because of SARS and its astounding 4% mortality rate they're quarantining everyone at the airport for TWO FUCKING WEEKS.

ace
5/09/2003 10:26am,
indigenous form of grappling - Don't you have to have the same principles in jujitsu, judo, WWF, UFC, ground fighting. When people put names on things it is easier to sell. Is Dumog going to be the next big market since everyone knows groundfighting, it is an easy transition into the next popular name. I like Mexgrap from Mexico, it is an indigenous form of grappling.

WTDude
5/09/2003 10:54am,
Or Canadian Mounting.

Heard of it Pizdoff?

You can't make a man by standing a sheep on its hindlegs but if you get a group of men together you can create a herd of sheep.

Hiji kime
5/09/2003 11:03am,
indigenous form of grappling - Don't you have to have the same principles in jujitsu, judo, WWF, UFC, ground fighting. When people put names on things it is easier to sell. Is Dumog going to be the next big market since everyone knows groundfighting, it is an easy transition into the next popular name. I like Mexgrap from Mexico, it is an indigenous form of grappling.

Just about every country in the world has its own indigenous grappling art. As for having the same principles, there will of course be similarities here and there: humans are, after all, build the same way regardless of where they are born.

Eventually the different warriors / fighters around the world arrived at the same angles of joint manipulation and other facets; I would think that they all developed the same stuff coz they all realized independently what makes the enemy say ouch and what does not LOL

But each grappling system will of course develop their own little nuances, dictated by a number of factors, like the presence of armor. So Dumog has its own emphasis and style, making it as distinct as Japanese jujitsu, Indian wrestling and Sambo.

Dumog has always been present in the FMA. I think I remember reading that very little of it survived the trip across the Pacific. It's known by a number of names, depending on the province.

But I disagree that it be taught as a separate skill from FMA weapons. It should not join the current grappling craze and should remain a subsystem of FMA.

Pandinha
5/09/2003 11:49am,
I've heard of Dumog from my youth from my uncle. Panutukan as well, Pinoy Kickboxing.

Do not discount the Filipino Race. Our warriors are the sole reason the .45 Caliber was created. .38 bullets weren't enough to stop a 5 foot 2 filipino with a big ass knife hopped up on some really good drugs.

==================
"When we go to the ground, you are in my world. The ground is the ocean, I am the shark, and most people don't even know how to swim." RCJ Machado

Freddy
5/09/2003 12:15pm,
I beleive there were a few other style of wrestling in the Phillipines (ie Hagibis).
You could check out a the books by Remy Presas. He has one on Demog. Its pretty good.

I believe the 45 cal. was needed to stop the Moros.

"Do what thou wilt is the whole of the Law"

JKDChick
5/09/2003 12:18pm,
*wistful sigh*
I wish I had a way to learn more Panutukan. Love those carotid punches.

"I'm willing to bet I could **** up an emu real good, if I got the drop on the bastard."
-- KC Elbows, my new hero.

Freddy
5/09/2003 12:18pm,
Mercurious- Your from Cebu? I didnt know that.

"Do what thou wilt is the whole of the Law"

Pandinha
5/09/2003 12:20pm,
Freddy... Moros are Filipinos.

==================
"When we go to the ground, you are in my world. The ground is the ocean, I am the shark, and most people don't even know how to swim." RCJ Machado

Pandinha
5/09/2003 12:25pm,
Or do you consider them being Muslim as not being Filipino due to the Phillipines being the largest population Christrian Country per capita?

==================

Mercurius
5/09/2003 2:41pm,
Freddy- My mother's from Cebu, I was born in the States. Thing is though, I'm the only one out of my friends who's never been there and I'm 18 years old, so it's getting to feel more like "my home" and less like "mom's home".

Funny thing happened one time, when I asked her if there were many escrimadors around Cebu. She said, "Yeah, your grand-uncle in fact did escrima and combined it with boxing and judo, called it 'escrido'..." Turns out his name is Cacoy Canete.

Hiji kime
5/09/2003 10:22pm,
Freddy- My mother's from Cebu, I was born in the States. Thing is though, I'm the only one out of my friends who's never been there and I'm 18 years old, so it's getting to feel more like "my home" and less like "mom's home".

Funny thing happened one time, when I asked her if there were many escrimadors around Cebu. She said, "Yeah, your grand-uncle in fact did escrima and combined it with boxing and judo, called it 'escrido'..." Turns out his name is Cacoy Canete.

-------------------------
"The morning glory blooms for an hour. It differs not at heart from the giant pine, which lives for a thousand years."

Cool! :)

Cebu has a very active FMA community. Lots for great style and teachers. I plan to drop by the local Balintawak club and watch how they trained. I heard that they do a lof of very fast trapping moves..

Anthony_A: Yeah! Damn right!

JKDChick: Glad you like it...:)

One particular charactertistic of dumog (as I study it, anyway) is the importance of keeping one hand free to strike. I first learned it as part of knife drills.

Getting the attacker into a position so his vital organs are exposed to repeated strikes is very sobering. Makes you realize what the skill is really for. Coincidentally, another art I've observed that uses body locking and frees one of both hands is Daito Ryu Aikijujutsu, which also has a strong background in the use of weapons..