PDA

View Full Version : sparred with a goju ryu guy

Pages : [1] 2

alex
3/05/2006 11:48pm,
as some of you guys know im an avid fan of trying out other arts, so i was quite pleased to find a little sheet asking for sparring partners in my local gym the other day. we set up to meet today for some sparring out in the park. Guy was pretty cool, I was afraid it would be either some complete dweeb or some big macho idiot looking for someone to thump.

tale of the tape:

me-
5'8
63kg
MEANINGFUL martial arts experience- about 3 years of muay thai and some boxing on the side.

him-
about 6'1
around 80kg (guesstimate)
martial arts- 3 years of Goju Ryu, I think a brown belt? didnt mention any other martial arts experience.

pretty lax rules, no groundfighting. MMA gloves, about 4oz or something. probably went about 70% to the legs and body, bit less to the head because he didnt have a mouthguard. he had a pretty obvious size and reach advantage but im fairly used to that. I dont know how goju ryu spars but he was very open to leg kicks and we had to take a break a couple of times when i scored him on the thigh real hard. we werent going balls to the floor but he did knock my head back a few times (i really need to buy some new contact lenses ) with some nice straight punches. im more of a hook guy myself ;P

we went over clinch sparring too. its always surprising when you clinch spar with someone who hasnt done it before and you can get away with crap you wouldnt even TRY in training but he was real keen to try new stuff which was cool.

overall it was a fun experience, its a bit of a different experience fighting with someone who uses more exotic kicks like hook kicks. ive sparred bareknuckle before so that wasnt really new but its still good to have a refresher course in it (wasnt strictly bareknuckle but with the size of the gloves we used it might as well of been) i was a bit dissapointed that yet again i was fighting someone sizably bigger than me, but such is life when you are a wee white boy.

supercrap
3/05/2006 11:50pm,
Bravo...
Do wing chun next!

Let them know that a friendly spar does not equal duel to the death...

Anyway nice one, thanks for the write up.

plasma
3/05/2006 11:52pm,
or a Aikido-ka.

Good write up.

PizDoff
3/06/2006 12:11am,
For your own benefit, remember to video tape it.

alex
3/06/2006 12:15am,
while i would love to videotape i- putting a videocamera on the ground in albert park or in a tree or wherever, is asking for it to be nicked. thats if i had one, which i dont, and if i could afford one, which i cant. not one that could catch my LIGHTNING FAST ATTACKS anyway.

Poop Loops
3/06/2006 12:44am,
while i would love to videotape i- putting a videocamera on the ground in albert park or in a tree or wherever, is asking for it to be nicked. thats if i had one, which i dont, and if i could afford one, which i cant. not one that could catch my LIGHTNING FAST ATTACKS anyway.

Don't you have any friends who can hold it for you? Buy them lunch afterwards or something.

That is, if you HAD a camera...

Hannibal
3/06/2006 12:46am,
Just out of curiosity, how did you find the guys fighting style ? He had an obvious size/weight advantage over you but did he seem like a capable fighter ?

JohnnyCache
3/06/2006 2:14am,

Can't you make friends with some huge guy and have him hold the camera? Plus then you save on a tripod. Which is what you use, not a tree :)

alex
3/06/2006 3:46am,
if a tripod is more than 5 bucks then no, i probably cant. why dont you try living on about 180 NZ a week (which is like... 110 US) and see if you have money for **** like that, im lucky to break even. its a moot point because i havent got a video camera.

hannibal- yeah, the guy can fight. no question about that. he can take a shot and keep coming which in my opinion is what half of fighting is about. anyone who can take the kicks i was throwing and keep moving forward is a capable fighter on balls alone. he had good defense upstairs but im guessing in goju they dont work on leg kicks much.

JohnnyCache
3/06/2006 4:03am,
No, I don't want to live on 110 NZ a week. That would suck. I spent a summer with no income, literally getting by on a fishing liscense, a tent, and a .22, and about $250, and I still could have walked to town, borrowed a camera, and filmed a sparring match if I felt like it.

Make a rich friend as well as a big friend. You should have lots of time for socialization working for 100 bucks a week.

PS: I'm screwing with you dude, relax.

alex
3/06/2006 4:11am,
i dont work, i study. i would give my best friends nipples for 250 a week. how about this- if i can find a video camera ill use it. but either way im not putting my video up on here so that the useless cockwipes on bullshido can use their armchair criticism on it. the people who know me know how well i fight and so do the guys who ive beaten. i dont need to get my cock out on an internet forum populated by people ill never meet (except you vile you sweetie pie) just so they can have a good old stare and complain about the odd colouring and funny angle it takes halfway down.

JohnnyCache
3/06/2006 4:15am,
You could work a tiny bit. Find a cool job like mine, where you just watch tv and play on the internet and still get paid.

Not 250 a week Ikken. 250 for the whole summer.

There are no odd cocks, man, only odd diseases.

Mjelva
3/06/2006 1:38pm,
Needs moar video.
Pics or shens.

Goju - Joe
3/06/2006 2:25pm,
That's cool, it must have been Japanese GoJu.

Gogen Yamaguchi believed that Okinawan Karate was too static and limited in sparring, so he devised a style of sparring that was simillar to that of boxing.

GoJu is one of the better ones out there for aliveness.

Although it doesn't really have the type of leg kicks that MT does.

SuperGuido
3/06/2006 5:31pm,
I enjoy reading your various "Style Visits", Ikken. Even when experiencing something you don't agree with, you try to focus on the positive points and give credit when credit is due.

Good job, and keep posting your reviews.

Hannibal
3/06/2006 6:04pm,
i dont work, i study. i would give my best friends nipples for 250 a week. how about this- if i can find a video camera ill use it. but either way im not putting my video up on here so that the useless cockwipes on bullshido can use their armchair criticism on it. the people who know me know how well i fight and so do the guys who ive beaten. i dont need to get my cock out on an internet forum populated by people ill never meet (except you vile you sweetie pie) just so they can have a good old stare and complain about the odd colouring and funny angle it takes halfway down.

It's obvious you have a university education.