PDA

View Full Version : Grappling reference websites?

AAAhmed46
2/24/2006 12:11am,
In my karate class every now and then we would grapple and he would teach some very very basic BJJ.

I know nothing impressive, my grappling looks very very ugly.

But im sure it's alot better then not knowing any ground work at all. I mean hey, at the very least, i can sprawl and get back up against other sloppy grappling.

So anyway, so i can have a little extra in class when doing some grappling, does anyone have any web links to sites that have great info on techniques and escapes and what not on grappling?

Shuma-Gorath
2/24/2006 12:19am,
Back when I was at a karate McDojo they would teach shitty grappling at odd intervals. If your instructor is showing you any "BJJ", even the basics, what is his rank and where did he learn it?

Roidie McDouchebag
2/24/2006 12:21am,
www.bjj.org

www.mma.tv

EternalRage
2/24/2006 12:24am,
I recommend books. Brazilian JiuJitsu Technique and Theory, Eddie Bravos Book, or Submission Grappling (Royce). If you don't feel like shelling out dough, bjj.org is just fine for newbies, although if you are serious about learning it, I'd say crosstrain if you are comfortable enough with your karate.

And yes, Shuma's point should be well taken, if they don't know it too well, they really shouldn't be teaching it, because it will put bad habits in students that may end up getting them hurt either in practice or in a fight.

AAAhmed46
2/24/2006 12:27am,
Thanks.

just www.bjj.org alone seems to be awsome.

infidel
2/24/2006 12:49am,
matbattle

AAAhmed46
2/24/2006 1:33am,
matbattle.com?

Pandinha
2/24/2006 1:37am,
matbattle.com is da bomb.

Gringo Grande
2/24/2006 9:06am,
As someone who possessed the deadly crapple...I'd heartily endorse this suggestion. Don't bother. You will pick up too many bad habits from teaching yourself via books, websites, etc without a solid base to start with and a legitimate grappling instructor to oversee your training.

Of all the stuff I ever learned, I'd say I only learned two or three things correctly and those were on the rare opportunities I had the chance to train with competent fighters/grapplers. It is difficult to unlearn bad habits. Don't let the same mistake happen to you...just my 2 cents.

GG
GG

Roidie McDouchebag
2/24/2006 9:17am,
Learning off the internet>Not learning at all

It's definitely far better to find a better instructor, but in the mean time, there's no harm looking on the internet.

AAAhmed46
2/24/2006 1:47pm,
My karate teacher said the same thing essentially.

THough he is happy that im open enough to try and improve myself on the ground.

ANyway, thanks for the links.

Especially BJJ.org

docsprague
2/26/2006 3:47pm,
I just went to matbattle.com and I am a little disturbed. Well actually verb disturbed. I hope you were joking about it being du bomb.

Ridder
2/27/2006 5:36pm,
Check out http://lockflow.com . It's got tons of techniques. And pictures! But, as a caveat, remember that:

internet != 100% reliable

edit- just clicked on matbattle....huh.

CoffeeFan
3/02/2006 2:14am,
What the hell is with this gay bjj and judo? I mean, nothing wrong with being gay (IMO) or rolling with a gay person. But your grappling should be platonic.