PDA

View Full Version : Yes, standing in cold water elevates your chi

Pages : [1] 2

PizDoff
2/22/2006 10:12pm,
Karate students cold workout

BY ERIK GERMAN
STAFF WRITER

The frosty air at Smith Point beach chapped the skin at 28 degrees yesterday, and the water temperature hovered at a hypothermic 42. Yet, 11-year-old Adam Bhatti stepped barefoot into the waves, clothed in little more than cotton pants and a white tunic.

Adam, of Ronkonkoma, and 18 other members of his karate dojo stood in the painfully icy water to invigorate their life force, or chi.

"It's not that it hurts," Adam said. "It's that it's so cold that you feel like your feet are about to bleed."

The students range in age from 5 to 44 and they performed their exercises -- breathing deeply and moving through a series of of poses, called kata -- with goose-pimpled knees just above the waves.

"We usually try to get the coldest day of the year," said Sensei John Benedict, 40, who has herded his students into the ocean at least once each winter since he opened the Yoshido Goju Ryu Karate Dojo in Bohemia 12 years ago.

"We can't keep the kids out there for too long," Benedict said in a small concession to the elements, adding that his own son, John Jr., 16, has been doing it since age 5. "Any more than 15 to 20 minutes out there and the hypothermia sets in."

Benedict said he instructs his students to overcome the shockingly cold water by focusing on their arm movements and breathing. Doing so yields elevated chi, described by some as a feeling of euphoria.

"In the center of your stomach, it's like something's been lifted," Adam said, explaining his supercharged chi. "You feel you could run from New York to California in one day."

But for the youngest of Benedict's karate kids, 5-year-old Shannon Stockinger, of Bohemia, the situation seemed to dictate its own focus.

"I thought about how it was really, really freezing for me," Shannon said, after drying off.

Her mother, Joanne Stockinger, 34, also studies karate at Benedict's dojo. She accompanied Shannon during the three minutes her daughter withstood the water.

"I was very proud of her," she said. "I told her if you don't want to go in, you don't have to, but she went in anyway."

Benedict said no student is forced into the water.

"Sometimes kids aren't ready," he said. "There's no shame in going back to the car."

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/longisland/ny-lidojo20,0,5098216.story?coll=ny-linews-headlines&track=rss

In other news, studies of Canadians report higher levels of chi.

Poop Loops
2/22/2006 10:25pm,
It's actually your brain realizing that you're a fucking dumbass and deciding that it would be better if your legs froze off, so it tells you freezing water = good.

Shard
2/22/2006 10:38pm,
Heh... Cold water raising chi... No wonder i don't have my Iron shirt Kung fu yet. I better turn off the water heater in my house. Then i can have the 1337 CH! Bow to me!

Poop Loops
2/22/2006 10:39pm,
Naked women make my chi rise.

Matt Stone
2/22/2006 10:47pm,
A couple of things -

a) "chi" is not a karate term;

b) from what I know of TCM theory, cold will decrease qi flow (as it does with blood flow and neural transmission), not "invigorate" it;

c) traditional bujutsu training often includes musha shugyo, a form of training in unbelievably unpleasant circumstances, for no other reason than to "build fighting spirit" through overcoming/enduring said training.

Schmucklenuts is incorrect on the qi connection, but that kind of training, though uncommon anymore, is legitimate (hell, that's why the Army always has its training bases in the worst locations - overcoming hardship makes mentally tougher fighters).

Rhamma
2/22/2006 11:05pm,
:bbd:
I have people ask me "Is it okay if I where a tee shirt under my uniform?"

I say "I don't give a crap, wear what you want."

I where one when it is cold. Which finally gets me to the point.
:happy2:
Training in the cold in a gi top rugs my nipple raw!!!!
:5zombie:
There, there I said it! I said it and I'm glad!
:wanim

Goju - Joe
2/22/2006 11:25pm,
Good Grief! Why don't these people move to Canada and train like real men!

You know what I hate? when I forget to take my Gi out of my car after a sweaty class and then the temperature drops to -20 and go to my next class and put on my stinky frozen sweat gi.

My chi is so strong then it makes my dinky shrinky

Adrian5
2/22/2006 11:44pm,
Remember when Matt Hughes said something to the effect "BJ ain't tough, he trains in sunny Hawai, while I train on frozen mountains", before being promptly choked out by BJ.

Poop Loops
2/23/2006 12:25am,
Schmucklenuts is incorrect on the qi connection, but that kind of training, though uncommon anymore, is legitimate (hell, that's why the Army always has its training bases in the worst locations - overcoming hardship makes mentally tougher fighters).

I thought it was because they can get the land relatively cheap?

Gezere
2/23/2006 12:25am,
Regular bathes in cold water have been know to help bust the immune system. That has been scientifically studied and therefore has nothing to do with CHI.

Poop Loops
2/23/2006 12:29am,
You're wrong. QUANTUM PHYSICS proves it, therefore it IS chi.

Shard
2/23/2006 12:36am,
Is chi Fartonic energy?

Goju - Joe
2/23/2006 12:39am,
Canada's number one sport is hockey, which involves sakting hitting people with sticks and punching them in the face. Cold weather + stupid taxes makes for angry peopel and good fighters such as GSP, and all those guys.

As far as Hawaii goes nothing but non stop beautifull weather every day all day would also piss me off and that explains BJ Penn

Hannibal
2/24/2006 12:24am,
Regular bathes in cold water have been know to help bust the immune system. That has been scientifically studied and therefore has nothing to do with CHI.

Do you mean boosts the imune system ?

Or busts the imune system, as in making you sick.

Thaiboxerken
2/24/2006 12:25am,
TMA people are funny.

Poop Loops
2/24/2006 12:41am,
Do you mean boosts the imune system ?

Or busts the imune system, as in making you sick.

From what I hear, it's boosts. Increases your bloodflow and stuff like that. Although... staying in cold water for too long could bust it... But I think he meant boost.