PDA

View Full Version : Amateur Boxing?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Taekwon
2/05/2006 11:16pm,
I heard that amateur boxing is "too soft". Is that true? I always thought even the amateurs were hardcore full contact ****.

These people also say amateur boxing isn't too useful for self defense. I'm not trying to stir up controversy. I'm just asking because I got curious over my friend's comments. True or false?

Jitsuman
2/06/2006 12:05am,
I heard that amateur boxing is "too soft". Is that true? I always thought even the amateurs were hardcore full contact ****.

These people also say amateur boxing isn't too useful for self defense. I'm not trying to stir up controversy. I'm just asking because I got curious over my friend's comments. True or false?

They usually wear head-gear.

Boxing is very good forself defense in my mind. Most fights involve punching, so it's always good to train in something that deals heavily with punching.

Ged
2/06/2006 12:08am,
amateur boxing is still boxing end of story.

Scrapper
2/06/2006 12:11am,
Olympic rules scores any punches to the trunk or head that land with the white (front) of the glove. This can lead to Olympic Boxing resembling a high-speed game of tag or slap-fu.

Knockouts are still an automatic win, regardless of score, so it remains full-contact.

AAU, and Golden gloves score bouts more or less exactly the same way pros do, they simply use larger, more padded gloves and add headgear. (and in some cases, shorter rounds)

US Boxing sacntions amateur bouts under both AAU and Olympic Rules, so it depends on the particular match.

Lights Out
2/06/2006 12:24am,

In Europe (well, at least, in Spain), most official Amateur boxing matches are sanctioned under Olympic ruleset. That makes amateur boxing too soft for oldschool hardcore boxing fanatics.

In times, amateur boxing was a slugfest, more brutal even than pro, sometimes.

alex
2/06/2006 1:45am,
over here amateur is the same scoring system as pro and yes, sometimes you see some fucking brutal ****. its pretty bad when a guy realises as the bell goes that he hasnt got it and goes down in a hail of fists.

OZZ
2/06/2006 12:30pm,
The Amateur boxing in Canada is much the same as in the U.S. . Headgear is worn and the gloves are bigger, with the white areas for scoring as Scrapper mentioned. Olympic rules are the standard.
With smaller kids, or inexperienced boxers, it can be very slap and tickle. But when you get a couple of guys who have had a few fights and want to step into each other a bit, it can be pretty good.

Cassius
2/06/2006 12:45pm,
Janggoon's troll-fu is getting better with every iteration.

warnerj5000
2/06/2006 1:57pm,
most of the amateur boxing matches I've been to haven't involved a lot of boxing skill, and have just been slugfests of wild haymakers.

Knightmare
2/06/2006 2:50pm,
Then those fighters were new and didn't know how to control their tempers/egos. It's a mistake nearly everyone makes.

Torakaka
2/06/2006 2:51pm,
Those that do TKD need not comment on the "softness" of amateur boxing.

TypoDemon
2/06/2006 3:15pm,
At least in the US, amateur boxing is played with Olympic rules. Headgear, scoring strips, and a fairly basic scoring system. That's not to say that it's not vicious, there are some impressive amateur boxers out there, but unfortunately if it's a few new guys, you'll probably just see poor footwork and haymakers. No matter what else, it is still boxing, even with the headgear.

Boxing is good to learn for self defense. Most times you'll worry about self defense where it isn't better to run away, chances are you'll get people trying to make wide swings to the head, which are easy to dodge with swaybacks and ducking, and make for easy retaliation. Most of the time, you can judge distance with a jab, hit a quick one-two then follow with a hook to the temple, and that'll crumple most non-fighters. The main reason why people say boxing isn't useful for self defense is because boxing has evolved to incorporate the weight/space of match gloves, but compensation, while painful, isn't that difficult. Even as an amateur, you'll easily have the capability to handle most brawl situations, with good footwork and a tight defense. Some people like Muay Thai better though, since it allows for an incredible handling of clinches, which happens all too often in street fights. Up to you, really.

Cullion
2/06/2006 3:19pm,
IMHO anything where you win, rather than getting disqualified, for knocking out your opponent counts as full contact. Full contact experience of some sort >> no full contact experience.

Scrapper
2/06/2006 3:26pm,
At least in the US, amateur boxing is played with Olympic rules.

I boxed AAU/golden gloves rules 8 years ago in CT. 10-point must sytem, etc. It just depends on where you are.

Torakaka
2/06/2006 3:27pm,
The training of Olympic style boxing has improved my balance, footwork and headmovement tremendously, not to mention (obviously) improved hand skills.

ps, it still hurts to get punched even when you're wearing headgear and 10-16oz boxing gloves.

Taekwon
2/06/2006 6:09pm,
So is amateur boxing very good or no? Should I try it out?