PDA

View Full Version : Freestyle Wrestling

Pages : [1] 2

Taekwon
2/05/2006 8:08pm,
I was thinking of taking up Freestyle Wrestling at my college. I've had people tell me though, that the Freestyle style isn't very good for self defense. I don't know what to think though.

Is Freestyle Wrestling good for fighting? MMA?

Aesopian
2/05/2006 8:38pm,
It's better than TKD.

Gezere
2/05/2006 8:44pm,
I've had people tell me though, that the Freestyle style isn't very good for self defense. I don't know what to think though.
Those pple are idiots.

Yes VERY good.

BackFistMonkey
2/05/2006 8:47pm,
I was thinking of taking up Freestyle Wrestling at my college. I've had people tell me though, that the Freestyle style isn't very good for self defense. I don't know what to think though.

you are a horrid troll ...

are you trying to do Hapkido , Boxing , or freestyle wrestling with your TKD ?

rexkwon
2/05/2006 8:58pm,

You will want to learn lock and chokes that are not used in Freestyle but yes it does work . :waraya

Cough/Cool
2/05/2006 9:00pm,
I am curious as to how your college is doing this? Is it your school's club team or a wrestling club that is at your University?
I joined a club that had most of it's practices at a close university, I emailed the 'instructor' before going talking about lessons/teaching. He told me it did not matter about experience and such. I joined, and there was little to no instruction for the people at my level. I continued going to the practices and found it borderline unproductive. After a while, I partially tore a ligament going against someone that was much better.
Just make sure that you have INSTRUCTION as opposed to just 'open mat'.

Roidie McDouchebag
2/05/2006 9:00pm,
It's better than TKD.

"Better" is not a sufficient word to describe how much greater than TKD it is.

Taekwon
2/05/2006 9:13pm,
Here comes Mr. UFC Champion who turns every single thread, even the non-TKD related ones, into "bash TKD" threads. Congrats, bitch. Now be a good little boy and piss off. :XXbuzzsaw

Roidie McDouchebag
2/05/2006 9:23pm,
That's a bad troll man, you need to bait more first. Otherwise it's just obvious.

If you want to become a master baiter, I recommend Peter North's instructionals.

I don't bash TKD very often, not anymore. But I have experience with good TKD guys, and have experienced them sucking...and they really suck without crosstraining in actually useful arts.

TKD is good for one thing:

Trying to look cool.

Taekwon
2/05/2006 10:03pm,
That's what everybody says. "I kicked good TKDers' asses and still do everyday."

But there's just one thing nobody ever offers: proof. Basically what I'm trying to say is, "You're full of ****, man."

Roidie McDouchebag
2/05/2006 10:07pm,
Ok, if I get evidence of a TKD black belt saying TKD sucks, would that be good enough?

And I don't mean Osiris.

TehDeadlyDimMak
2/05/2006 10:24pm,

What Asia said. It's good.

Taekwon
2/05/2006 10:59pm,
lol... "I choke you"... You just don't get it, do you buddy? Words don't mean anything. Your blackbelt friend can suck on his own nuts. It's not my fault he sucks at it. It makes sense he would hate Taekwondo. If he gets his ass kicked everyday...

Hell man, that's why I gave up on that game, Counter-Strike. Heh...

Roidie McDouchebag
2/05/2006 11:03pm,
He didn't suck, there was just better stuff available, like Muay Thai. He uses kicking techniques he picked up in TKD, but his MT is what he uses to beat people.

Also...seriously, how do you defend against grappling with TKD, how?

Taekwon
2/05/2006 11:12pm,
Ok man. Let me set the record straight. I have no intention of getting into a flame war with you so let me break this down for you calmly.

1. "How can you defend grappling with just TKD?" was your question.

The short answer: Just gotta do your best to stay on your feet.

2. I understand TKD has its problems and shortcomings that TKD organizations need to address - and quickly. I also know that TKD is not complete (but neither is any single art). Despite these shortcomings, I truly cannot see why people say TKD sucks other than out of pure ignorance.

When people argue that MT and KickB have better hands and close range fighting than TKD... Ok. But when they cross the line and say better kicks than TKD... TKD is by far the best kicking art, hands down.

Roidie McDouchebag
2/05/2006 11:20pm,
Ok, I'm not denying it's the best for kicking. As long as you learn to apply the kicks properly, in a non-point-sparring setting.

As for:

The short answer: Just gotta do your best to stay on your feet.

The short answer: It doesn't work.