PDA

View Full Version : Sore Elbows

karatefighter
4/26/2003 8:24pm,
My elbows hurt like **** I'm being careful not to hyperextend my elbows while punching (had a history of hyperextending my elbows whilst punching but i've been very careful for the last few months). They're still quite sore and stiff any advice or excercises on how to get rid of this would be great. Should I go see a doctor bout this?

“What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.” — Albert Pike, 19th-century
Scottish Rite Freemason

-Feed Your own Gazel

JKDChick
4/26/2003 8:57pm,
Yes, you should probably see a good sports medicine guy, not a GP, if possible. Are you taking anti-inflammatories?

Shadowy Figure: "Principal Scudworth, that riot was unacceptable."
Principal Scudworth: "Unacceptable? Did you see the pool? They FLIPPED the bitch!"
-- Clone High

IndoChinese
4/27/2003 12:47am,
alternate hot and cold.

get some tiger balm, or zhen gu shui. these are topical rubs for muscles and tendons.

take it easy on the speed and power. your elbows need time to heal. you shouldnt really train if they hurt bad. work on your legs instead.

you always keep your elbows bent no matter what. even in punching, a slight degree of bend is kept in the elbow to protect the ligaments and tendons.

straight arms are weak anyways, keep em bent.

peace.

karatefighter
4/27/2003 8:50pm,
thnx no anti inflamitories(sp?)

“What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.” — Albert Pike, 19th-century
Scottish Rite Freemason

-Feed Your own Gazel

Nihilanthic
4/27/2003 9:20pm,
Make sure (after you heal) you work out BOTH sides of your elbow movement... extension and flexion. Basically, work your biceps/triceps, as in bending and straightening your elbows. You're more prone to injury if you have too much of an imbalance between two sides of a joint. I hear if your quads are a lot stronger than your hamstrings you can pull your hamstrings easier, too...

<Me> John, what do you know about Zen Buddhism? <John> *smacks me*
<John> I'd have to smack you sometime...

patfromlogan
4/27/2003 11:47pm,
I had chronic pain in one elbow and a trainer got me lifting light w/30 reps or so with arm braced/supported with only wrist and hand free and went every direction -up, down, side, other side and in about five weeks pain went. BUT this was tendonitis, not trauma injury.

>>>Always walk on a bright, wide road. If you choose to live with your right posture, you don't have to go on a dark road or a malodorous place. Oyama

Rashomon
4/27/2003 11:53pm,
Ummm... What kuntaokid said, both about keeping the elbow bent and the Tiger Balm. Actually, I've never used Tiger Balm, myself, but I have heard some of the guys at my dojo really liked it. (That amazes me, because I get the impression that most rubs are worthless crap. What's in the TB???)

Fatality Dragon
4/28/2003 12:13am,
Tiger balm act like as a heat pad. But it go deep inside the muscles and tissue to make it feel warm or hot. I dunno how it work but I think it just get blood moving faster and soften the muscle so it isn't tense up or something.

Just throw rock at it and it will go away.

maybe he is afraid we will all realise he is an angry 4 foot midget
(PizDoff's comment about KFSS not showing up at McThrowdown)