PDA

View Full Version : Egyptsu, anyone heard of it?

Pages : [1] 2

Vandal
1/25/2006 4:31pm,
Someone recently told me they had trained in 'Egyptsu', and he described it as 'basically the Pharoh's elite gaurds adaptation of Jiu Jitsu, the exception being that it concentraits mainly on the use of weapons rather than hand to hand combat.'

So if anyone has ever heard of it, can you give me your thoughts on it? How effective would you say it is, and do you have any more general info on it?

Jaguar Wong
1/25/2006 4:37pm,
Is that what they used in Stargate? Somehow I don't think they would use the Japanese "tsu" when naming a style after what the Pharoh's elite guards used.

Unless if course your friend actually studies Egypt-Lin Do. Then it's OK.

Method2Madness
1/25/2006 4:41pm,
Someone recently told me they had trained in 'Egyptsu', and he described it as 'basically the Pharoh's elite gaurds adaptation of Jiu Jitsu, the exception being that it concentraits mainly on the use of weapons rather than hand to hand combat.'

So if anyone has ever heard of it, can you give me your thoughts on it? How effective would you say it is, and do you have any more general info on it?
a few years ago thee was this show called "Mummies Alvie". Any way these mummies have come back to life to protect the reincarnate of the pharoh. What does this have to do with this thread? Well i just thought it was funny because the mummies teach the kid a martial art called "Egyptsu."

http://www.dicentertainment.com/shows/index.php?show=80&category=Comedy

This probably has nothing to do with the thread it just reminded me of the show.

Cullion
1/25/2006 4:42pm,
The pharonic-era egyptians didn't call their country 'egypt'. The called it 'Kemet'. The English name "Egypt" came via the Latin word Aegyptus derived from the ancient Greek word Αίγυπτος (Aiguptos)

Jaguar Wong
1/25/2006 4:43pm,
I found some interesting info on the style...

"Armon." Amenutept entered the Egyptsu training room shortly after Rapses had left.
"Amenutept." Armon kneeled to the other man.
"Please, stand."
"Yes, sir." He stood. "What can I do for you?"
"I came to speak to you about Rapses training. How is he doing?"
"Very well. He is a quick learner."
Amenutept nodded. "I'm glad to hear it. I am leaving tomorrow, of course. I know Rapses is safe with you and your fellow guardians. But the knowledge that he is learning to defend himself puts my mind even more at ease."
"It's an honour to be his teacher, and guardian."
"I know you speak for all the guardians when you say that...but I have a task I need to set to you and you alone." He glanced around the practice room. "But first, perhaps you will allow me an Egyptsu session of our own."
"Gladly." Armon nodded.
They circled eachother for a minute, then attacked in a quick succesion of blows and blocks. Neither having gained an advantage, they continued to circle eachother. "I think it was a lucky day indeed when you were brought into my service." Amenutept told him. "As much for your sense of honour as for your strength." They attacked at the same time, each suffering a blow from the other that they failed to block.
"Honour is everything in a battle. You never truly lose if you fight with honour." Armon attacked, and was blocked.
"I agree, and I hope you pass that belief to my son." Amenutept replied, then attacked as well, flipping Armon over his head.
"Uhn." Armon let his metal arm take the force of his fall, and rose to his feet. "I will try." They bowed to eachother.....

It was of course posted on FanFiction.net (http://www.fanfiction.net/s/1013407/1/) so I'm guessing this person that told you is being mislead.

Here's another link to the style (From the cartoon "Mummies Alive")
http://www.anchorbay.co.uk/perl/search.pl?CO=abd6012

Cullion
1/25/2006 4:44pm,
The chances of 'ju-jutsu' reaching ancient egypt are probably on a par with the pre-roman britons learning Sambo. However, the ancient egyptians almost certainly knew some form of wrestling.

Vandal
1/25/2006 4:45pm,
a few years ago thee was this show called "Mummies Alvie". Any way these mummies have come back to life to protect the reincarnate of the pharoh. What does this have to do with this thread? Well i just thought it was funny because the mummies teach the kid a martial art called "Egyptsu."

Haha, yeah I saw something about that when I googled it.

Unless if course your friend actually studies Egypt-Lin Do. Then it's OK.

I dunno, he didnt say anything about it.

It was of course posted on FanFiction.net (http://www.fanfiction.net/s/1013407/1/) so I'm guessing this person that told you is being mislead.

Well, I told him I thought he was being scammed when I could find anythinbg on it at Google or Wiki, and he told me to stop blurting **** I know nothing about. He said I actually had to pick up a book to know about it, and that he 'stumbled upon it during a history project'. I still think he's full of **** though.

Teh El Macho
1/25/2006 5:42pm,
Well, I told him I thought he was being scammed when I could find anythinbg on it at Google or Wiki, and he told me to stop blurting **** I know nothing about. He said I actually had to pick up a book to know about it, and that he 'stumbled upon it during a history project'. I still think he's full of **** though.You are so wrong on that one. Egyptsu is a real Martial Arts. Imhotep used it to fight O'Connell inside the Scorpion King's chamber. I saw it in 'The Mummy Returns'. Unbelieving fools!!!

Gezere
1/25/2006 6:01pm,
The pharonic-era egyptians didn't call their country 'egypt'. The called it 'Kemet'. The English name "Egypt" came via the Latin word Aegyptus derived from the ancient Greek word Αίγυπτος (Aiguptos)

Beat me to it.

Vandal,

Everyone is correct that guy was BSing you. First thing I thought when I read the thread was MUMMIES ALIVE.

Phrost
1/25/2006 6:04pm,
Maybe he was referring to the deadly art of the Sodan Warriors.

http://www.gateworld.net/sg1/s9/graphics/908_09.jpg

But yeah...

Gezere
1/25/2006 6:07pm,
Don't **** with the Sodan!!!

Roidie McDouchebag
1/25/2006 6:14pm,
So...what makes anyone think this isn't just a troll thread? I mean...I put it's likelyhood of not being a troll on about the same level of likelyhood that a monk from Japan used his chi to fly to Egypt, and subsequently to universally translate what he was saying, so that he could teach them to fight...

Vandal
1/25/2006 6:24pm,
If I'm a troll I'm not doing a very good job, am I?

Cullion
1/25/2006 7:07pm,
If I'm a troll I'm not doing a very good job, am I?

Never mind. Your question has been answered.

Tef-the-Persian
1/25/2006 9:55pm,
Isn't Egyptsu a style dictated largely by its sideways stance and rhythmic "to-and-fro" motions?

Soju_King
1/25/2006 10:31pm,
Egyptsu........that guy must be an Egyptoid Fetish Pyramid Sitter