PDA

View Full Version : How can I increase workout intensity periods?

PizDoff
4/24/2003 6:29pm,
How can I increase workout intensity periods? Pretty much all I need to say......

Creatine? Screaming? More cardio for endurance?

Workout as in squats (no weight, knees are crap), pushups and situps as well as free weights.

How do you guys do it?

--
Hard work, Patience, Dedication.

http://www.thaing.net/technique.htm
Thanks to Blade Windu for link. Click on link and wait for codec install prompt. Then install and watch. Nasty fights.

blueskycomplex
4/24/2003 6:45pm,
For me it's all mental. Pushing yourself to the limit, and then pushing further when you want to die. Definately work on muscle endurance and cardio. That and make sure you take time to recover.

WTDude
4/24/2003 6:52pm,
There is a ton of really bad information out there about weightlifting (kind of like martial arts!).

Basically, if you are wanting to gain size and strength, do low reps (less than 10 per set) to failure, rest alot between sets, do 3 sets per exercise and no more than 2 exercises per bodypart. Do not work any bodypart more than twice per week.

Make sure to include bench press, squats, and lat pulldowns. Deadlifts are good but I wouldn't suggest that you subject yourself to that kind of abuse.

Also, perform reps in a slow, controlled manner.

You can't make a man by standing a sheep on its hindlegs but if you get a group of men together you can create a herd of sheep.

PizDoff
4/24/2003 6:55pm,
I think I'm overtraining....hence the tiredness.
I'll take a coupla days off maybe....

it is a lot of mental psychology....just my body is quiting damnit....need rest

--

Thanks to Blade Windu for link. Click on link and wait for codec install prompt. Then install and watch. Nasty fights.

blueskycomplex
4/24/2003 7:12pm,
Damn bodies, always letting the true warriors down.

PizDoff
4/24/2003 7:21pm,
:)

as JKDChick knows so well, lol
"My ribs are broken, I can't breathe. Let's go another round."
HAHAhaAHAHAH

humans are so fragile

--

poet
4/24/2003 8:22pm,
If you are lifting to gain muscle mass you need the REST for those muscle groups. That is what lets the muscles grow.

If you want weight lifting for cardio I have always liked cicuit training. Lots of reps then move to the next one.

"I do not agree with what you have to say but, I will defend to the death your right to say it."
-Voltaire

Boyd
4/24/2003 8:59pm,
I keep a training log. That way, I know exactly what to expect of myself on a specific exercise every single week. If anything drops, I'm intensely disappointed, so you better believe I give it my all.

If you're already keeping a log and still not feeling ex(xx)treme enough, there's lots of other stuff you can do. For instance:

[list]
When doing pullovers, have a partner drop a fifteen pound medicine ball (bowling ball if you can't afford a medicine) on your ribs
Experiment! Try new sports or combine existing ones! For example, try deadlifting while skydiving and see what you come up with!
Kickboxing's fine and all, but kickboxing PIRHANNAS? Now you're getting the hang of it!
Watch a lot of Vin Diesel movies. In particular, The Iron Giant.
Chew broken glass. At all times.
[/list:u]

They don't call it the Nazi PARTY for nothing!

Edited by - boyd on April 24 2003 21:02:16

patfromlogan
4/24/2003 10:48pm,
Lifting, I agree with the above post, rest. That said, rest a muscle group several days AFTER going to burn with atleast three sets. So if it's chest, it's bench, inclinded bench, maybe declined, then reverse it with rows (hold elbow high/low etc), chain saws and so forth.

In martial arts I was lucky enough to be taught to go as hard as you could all the time. This pays off. Visiting a Kajukenbo school once I realized that I was the only one with the floor wet around me from sweat, at the end of the first exercises. In Kyokushinkai this never mattered because I was always just trying to keep up and not throw up or have a heart attack.

>>>Always walk on a bright, wide road. If you choose to live with your right posture, you don't have to go on a dark road or a malodorous place. Oyama

IndoChinese
4/24/2003 11:10pm,
in any case, i would avoid dumbell squats.

"Remember Penn State"

peace.

FingerorMoon?
4/25/2003 6:29am,
Often tiredness is a sign you're not eating enough food.

Eat boy eat !! :)

--------
Don't view the glass as half empty, view it as half full of ****.
--------

9chambers
4/25/2003 6:54am,
I say continue to work your ass off. If you don't gain as much mass, then screw mass.

If catabolism is eating your gains then maybe you are contradicting yourself to begin with.. I mean, there is no way you are going to get bulky if you are sparring three hours a day. That cardio is going to eat the mass you build. You are wasting your time if you are doing low reps with more weight and then doing a lot of cardio. It's a contradiction.

Decide if you want to look big or perform well. Everyone has a body size that fits their frame and function. People involved in different sports look different. Train for what you want to do, not what you want to look like. That is my advice.

My suggestion is, keep training hard and don't worry about being huge.

If you do a lot of cardio then use your weight training to build muscle tone. Mass freaks like to say it's high reps with less weight is for "cardio" but that isn't the case.

When you do high reps with less weight you are making your muslces more toned and firm. They are more valuable. They work better. It may take longer to get bigger this way (the weight you use goes up at a slower rate) but when you do get fairly big then you will be as strong as guys a lot bigger than you.

Maybe you are over-training .. or maybe you are just contradicting your own training. Going for mass in the gym and being an iron man in the dojo (or other cardio) is counter-productive. Pick one path. Either go for mass or go for firm and lean power + endurance, coordination, speed and skill.

I'd pick the second choice. Especially if you have a fast metabolism. The only way you will gain a lot of mass in that case is if you cut out all your cardio. It's not worth it.

poet
4/25/2003 10:29am,
A site I like with a lot of helpful info on types of exercise and movement is:

http://www.exrx.net/

"I do not agree with what you have to say but, I will defend to the death your right to say it."
-Voltaire

PizDoff
4/25/2003 6:09pm,
Sounds good Boyd, I'll start on that now.

Thanks for info all.

--

stoogejitsu
4/26/2003 1:36am,
Work Harder