PDA

View Full Version : When to walk away?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Whitey
4/24/2003 4:47pm,
When I was younger I used to get the **** beat out of me by my friends. We all did MA of some sort and had kind of a amateur fight club going. I was the youngest and skinnest so I got beat up the most. After a few years I got kind of a "little dog" complex. I fought a guy for throwing a skittle at me, that was some dumb ****. Not to long ago I was downtown with my friend and we saw to drunk/stoned assholes walking around yelling and carrying on. After a while of walking around I lost track of them. Then I hear "GOD DAMN!" in my ear, it was those 2 guys trying to scare me. Both of them were bigger than my friend and I and I knew they would beat my ass. My friend I know is not a fighter at all, so I didnt know what he was going to do, probably nothing. I just said What the ****? I wanted to mess them up but I knew I couldnt. I just stood there I wasnt just going to walk away. They eventually just said whatever and walked away. I just figured they were messed up and being assholes. I felt like the biggest bitch after that. I started training harder, lifting weights, all that, I couldnt forgive myself. Eventually I got over it (kinda), but I always think what I would have done if I lost it. Anyone else have this problem?

matzahbal
4/24/2003 4:55pm,
Well, what are you doing losing track of 2 guys being drunk/stoned walking around causing trouble?

Maybe being aware of what is a potential threat versus just some guys jerking around.

"But some apes they gotta go, so we kill the ones we don't know" - 'Ape shall never kill Ape' by The Vandals

Omega Supreme
4/24/2003 4:57pm,
What kinda of place do you come from where you actually say that people who beat the crap out of you and pick fights with you are your friends?

Man confronts you on the street he is the enemy
The enemy deserves no yogurt
Yogurt is for the weak
Do you have a problem with that mister!!???!!???

Seriously though when that's happened to me I just point out on how juvenile and stupid they are behaving. Then I point out how worse its going to look when I beat there ass down (I'm serious about this by the way). Its shameful when a guy my size has short man's complex.

Go away I'm talking to myself

Whitey
4/24/2003 5:09pm,
It was really crowded and I walked to the other side of the street. Plus there's always drunk assholes downtown. As far as my friends go I was about 12-14 when I hung out with them. I guess I wanted to be tough. They'd fight anybody, of course they're losers now. I mean I know the drunk guys were just screwing around, after all they walked away. I just cant stand people who think they can mess with anybody. I guess I just really wanted to teach them a lesson. I think I have rage issues and I think this is my way of getting my bitch feelings out. Does anyone want to hold me Im so afraid.

Edited by - Whitey on April 24 2003 17:10:40

blueskycomplex
4/24/2003 5:29pm,
I don't know about you, but when I walk away from a confrontation, and no one is hurt or injured, then it was dealt with properly. Those guys were either just jerks, or we in an "altered" state of mind, but either way you did the right thing. You didn't get to punch their teeth out, and they didn't get to break your ribs. If that makes you a bitch, then I would choose to be the bitch anytime. You don't know how serious it could have been, they could have had weapons, or just been serious bad asses looking to inflict some harm. Probably not, most likely they had a little too much to drink and were trying to show off. Maybe it's just me, but I thought self defenses first rule is to avoid the fight.

Omega Supreme
4/24/2003 5:32pm,
I'm not about self-defense. I avoid fights by confronting morons like that and make sure they don't bully anybody else.

Go away I'm talking to myself

Whitey
4/24/2003 5:39pm,
I know I did the right thing, it was just hard for me. I know what I can or cant take. Sometimes that line becomes very fine, for everybody. At the time, my logic was that assholes will only learn by the fist. Since then I know thats not how to do it. Last week I was in another situation that I walked away from, I still felt crappy but I get over it. I guess my point is just finding that line of fight or walk.

Edited by - Whitey on April 24 2003 17:47:54

blueskycomplex
4/24/2003 5:47pm,
I know exactly what you mean. Yesterday I saw my old high school bully. I wanted to go over there and take this jerks head and ram it right into my elbow. Repeatedly. This guy made my life hell, and today seeing him I knew I could take him. I guess seeing the fear in his eyes on seeing that I am no longer a guy who could be pushed around was good enough. But man, did I want to get some revenge. But if I did that, I would be the scum.

WTDude
4/24/2003 6:06pm,
Bluesky, you should have spit in his face and then if he took a swing at you, hey - self defense!

You can't make a man by standing a sheep on its hindlegs but if you get a group of men together you can create a herd of sheep.

The Wastrel
4/24/2003 6:12pm,
Is there a critical mass in terms of physical size structure that equals deterrence? Or is it just relative? I feel like at 6'0" 180, I'm just shy of whatever that limit is, but then again, maybe everybody (except Asia) feels like they're just shy of that limit.

"I'm devastating, looking for some refreshment!"

Courtesy of flubtitles.com

PizDoff
4/24/2003 6:18pm,
*cough cough* I hate being underweight.....

But anyways.......yeah, i don't know, i used to get mad a lot faster a while ago.....haven't had a fight since starting MA

--
Hard work, Patience, Dedication.

http://www.thaing.net/technique.htm
Thanks to Blade Windu for link. Click on link and wait for codec install prompt. Then install and watch. Nasty fights.

MMA_Phil
4/24/2003 6:42pm,
I don't know, I'm a similar size to you Wastrel, and I never get many problems. But then I've had big mates who've said that people always want to fight them to look good in front of their girlfriends. You also see small bouncers, or small guys going around thinking that they are it.
Fucked if I know what you have to do give the signal off "I don't think I'm it, but I'm not someone who will take your **** either."
My point is that I don't think size neccessarily is always a major factor in deterrance.

PizDoff
4/24/2003 7:27pm,
"Fucked if I know what you have to do give the signal off "I don't think I'm it, but I'm not someone who will take your **** either.""

It's all in your eyes......And posture.

--
Hard work, Patience, Dedication.

http://www.thaing.net/technique.htm
Thanks to Blade Windu for link. Click on link and wait for codec install prompt. Then install and watch. Nasty fights.

MMA_Phil
4/24/2003 7:46pm,
Could be, I always think not eyeballing people helps too. Anyway I'm pretty confident that I don't do to much wrong; I don't get in many confrontations.
I just find it confusing how trouble seems to follow certain people.

gong sau
4/24/2003 8:40pm,
>Is there a critical mass in terms of physical size structure that equals deterrence?

IMO, no. I'm in agreement with MMA_Phil and PizDoff. The biggest guys I know have all said that people pick fights with them all the time (to prove something, I guess). I think it has more to do with body language than size, although I'd imagine that there's a crossover point somewhere.

Edited by - gong sau on April 24 2003 20:41:29

dburton
4/24/2003 10:40pm,
I have been in a few situations where it was pretty easy to get to throwing blows but prevented it. All of these times just ended in words being tossed back and forth and both parties being calmed down by some reincarnation of Ghandi (usually me). Many times I was sure I could take the guy but didn't want to fight (I have been scared a few times). But it seems like whenever I am 'ready' to fight, the opportunity doesn't arise and I would feel like crap just going to class and taking it out on sparring partners....Just a rant, I guess.