PDA

View Full Version : Kuk Sul Won Video

Pages : [1] 2

EternalRage
1/19/2006 6:04pm,
http://hapkido.re.kr/hapkido/3388/movie_53.asf

A demo clip. This was posted on MAP forums. I'm posting it for entertainment value, they can do some nice trickx.

nezha
1/19/2006 7:43pm,
ouch. crazy how they willing smack themselves into the floor like that. and then get back up and yell. lots o martial artists dont like this stuff, but i think it is cool as long as they dont present it as a fighting system

wushu is better :)

Method2Madness
1/19/2006 7:53pm,
those were the most dramatic break falls i have ever seen. Nice acrobatics though.

Wolf
1/19/2006 9:04pm,
ouch. crazy how they willing smack themselves into the floor like that. and then get back up and yell. lots o martial artists dont like this stuff, but i think it is cool as long as they dont present it as a fighting system

wushu is better :)

There's a lot more to Kuk Sool than what you saw there. It's not a performance art like modern wushu. Kuk Sool is basically Hapkido with a few extras. Now if you're not into TMA's at all or think they're all worthless then it may not make a difference. I just thought I'd point out there's more to Kuk Sool than what you're seeing.

daimyo
1/19/2006 9:12pm,
Are acrobatics part of Kuk Sool Won's curriculum? For example, do you have to know how to do a cartwheel to get X belt? The breakfalls I can understand, but some people aren't able to do those flips and stuff. I wish I knew how to do those things, very flashy.

Wolf
1/19/2006 9:15pm,
Acrobatics are part of the curriculum, as in they're taught. However, they're not required for promotion. I can do cartwheels and 1 hand cartwheels just fine, but I can't do front flips and back handsprings. I still promoted though because it wasn't part of the tests.

HwangJangLee
1/19/2006 9:21pm,
im pretty sure that thats not required but i dont take ksw. oh and the chick wasnt very good but still :hitit: :5butthead . Only cool thing she did was arial. and it was pretty sexy when she grunted. mmmm :love7: :ohyea7qh:

Lights Out
1/19/2006 9:24pm,
Well, this people can jump.

I guess that the swords displayed weren´t katanas, but a korean type of sword. But why did they sheat them samurai-style?

HwangJangLee
1/19/2006 9:26pm,
because kumdo is pretty much the same thing as kendo.

BackFistMonkey
1/19/2006 9:58pm,
More Crappy Form Fairy Xtreme (non)Martial Action .

Nothing to see here unless you wanna sit through ten minutes of forms and compliant SUPER Flashy Hapkido .

nezha
1/19/2006 10:38pm,
There's a lot more to Kuk Sool than what you saw there. It's not a performance art like modern wushu. Kuk Sool is basically Hapkido with a few extras. Now if you're not into TMA's at all or think they're all worthless then it may not make a difference. I just thought I'd point out there's more to Kuk Sool than what you're seeing.

sweet. i wish san shou had some performance elements in it, itd be great for parties or whatever. i hate being asked to do 'kung fu tricks' by people expecting me to do backflips and spin kicks when the best i can do is like.... yar! rear cross!

and hey, no need to get all defensive. i didnt say anything against TMA or kuk sool

p[X]c

Wolf
1/19/2006 11:05pm,
sweet. i wish san shou had some performance elements in it, itd be great for parties or whatever. i hate being asked to do 'kung fu tricks' by people expecting me to do backflips and spin kicks when the best i can do is like.... yar! rear cross!

and hey, no need to get all defensive. i didnt say anything against TMA or kuk sool

p[X]c

Sorry, didn't mean to come off as defensive. Lots of people aren't into the whole TMA thing, so sometimes I almost feel obligated to point out it may not be your cup of tea, but some of us are into it. It wasn't really meant to sound defensive.

On a side note, the video really doesn't do much to display the large part of KSW that is the jointlocking and throwing curriculum. I can definitly see why just watching that video makes one think it's a flashy show off art. These students just happen to excel in acrobatics.

BackFistMonkey
1/19/2006 11:50pm,
On a side note, the video really doesn't do much to display the large part of KSW that is the jointlocking and throwing curriculum. I can definitly see why just watching that video makes one think it's a flashy show off art. These students just happen to excel in acrobatics.

I honestly think some acrobatic skill should be taught when learning Martial Arts . Basic break falls , tumbling , maybe some arial work . Mainly for self exploration and finding the limits of what you can do ... ( and get away with without injury ) .

But ... seriously ... there is a point where you draw the line . Acrobatics and tumbling should be BASICS in the curriculum . The Black belts shouldnt be pimping this crap , like it's some culmination of the years they spent at their art . IF this is the end Result of KSW then I am disapointed ... greatly ...

DerAuslander
1/20/2006 1:43am,
Well, this people can jump.

I guess that the swords displayed weren´t katanas, but a korean type of sword. But why did they sheat them samurai-style?

During the Josun dynasty, which where part of Kuk Sool supposedly draws it's inspiration, four ryuha of Japanese swordsmanship had an influence on the Korean military arts.

Ke?poFist
1/20/2006 2:19am,
those were the most dramatic break falls i have ever seen.

I second that :eusa_doh:

DerAuslander
1/20/2006 2:21am,
Those were actually pretty average for the advanced breakfall stuff. I used to have some videos of some crazy Hapkido and KSW demos with some amazing breakfalls. I'll see if I can find them again.