PDA

View Full Version : The go limp SD technique:

9chambers
4/24/2003 3:42am,
A girl I know was taught this in self-defense class; If a guy grabs you then go limp and just ooze down to the floor. The guy can't throw you if you go limp and just drop.

I have drooped and countered throws the same way but I kept my guard up and got in the sit-out position (wrestling) or the guard or whatever. Just telling a girl to fall down is .. I guess the guy couldn't carry her as easy .. hmm .. a drooping guard type thing is handy but .. just go limp? I guess it depends on how much the girl weighs. :P

Maybe it works for some situations. But couldn't he just punch you in the nose? I am not sure if it's good or bad to tell a girl to do that in a begginers class in a college or whatever. I'm not sure.

What do you guys think?

>> Perhaps it was because I had an inherent skill for the science and never deviated from natural principles. - Miyamoto Musashi 1643

Punisher
4/24/2003 4:08am,
This is a real hard sell for me. I hope they at least worked on a way to get up afterwards. If the guy is just trying to throw you on the ground and not drag you off somewhere you have just accomplished his task for him. He can now stomp on you, rape you, whatever. I know “dead” weight is supposed to be “heavier” but just plopping on the floor doesn’t seem like such a good idea to me. Are you sure that was all the technique entails and you’re not taking it out of context?

There is something to be said about being able to assume a defensive posture that limits the damage to your vital areas if there is no chance for escape and you are clearly outmatched by your attacker.

If your already on the ground, going into the fetal position, or better yet turtle position, can mean the difference between some bruises and broken bones and being beaten to death.

Surviving the situation long enough for help to arrive or until the attacker makes a big enough of a mistake for you to get the hell out of there is important.

In the heat of battle it can be plenty hard to hit even a stationary, nonresisting target. In the last couple UFCs I saw there was at least one fight each where the guy on the bottom was completely knocked out and defenseless and the guy on top tried to strike but repeatedly missed and just made contact with the mat next to the unconscious guys head.

This was all happening as Big John is frantically running in to stop the fight, so the punching guy only got to take 2 or 3 swings max, but I can’t help but cringe and think about what would have happened if one of those bombs did connect. Luckily for the unconscious guys, they didn’t.

SamHarber
4/24/2003 4:34am,
I've seen a SD video that also advocated going limp. The theory is that they will try and drag you away from a public place, and its much harder to do if your limp.
However... it just wont work. All they have to do is kick you really hard and you're going to tense up and forget all about relaxing.
Its a stupid thing to teach as a generality. It has its application I agree, but doing it at the wrong time is just such a bad thing.

SLJ
4/24/2003 4:41am,
That doesn't sound too clever at all, he's advising her to throw herself at the attacker's mercy, that's bad advice.

----------------------------------------------------------
Space may be the final frontier,
But it's made in a Hollywood basement.

Blad3
4/24/2003 5:09am,
That's practically saying "rape me" IMO (the guy can get amount easily.) :|

...I juts read Osiris's post - exactly. Erm and Punisher agrees too...so does harber....so does SLJ...

This was all happening as Big John is frantically running in to stop the fight, so the punching guy only got to take 2 or 3 swings max, but I can’t help but cringe and think about what would have happened if one of those bombs did connect. Luckily for the unconscious guys, they didn’t. LOL exactly.

=====

"I bet you're the kinda guy that would **** a person in the ass and not even have the god damn common courtesy to give him a reach around."

Full Metal Jacket. (http://www.ebaumsworld.com/jacket2.html)

9chambers
4/24/2003 6:33am,
>In the last couple UFCs I saw there was at
>least one fight each where the guy on the
>bottom was completely knocked out and
>defenseless and the guy on top tried to
>strike but repeatedly missed and just made
>contact with the mat next to the unconscious
>guys head.

Lawler's fight in UFC 40 was one of those .. you could hear the giant thump as he hit the canvas with his fist. Those were great punches. The other guy had a big chunk taken out of his eyebrow and that was just from when Lawler hit him with his foreknuckles when his punch went in at a weird angle. If those punches would have been on target then that guy would have been severely messed up.

As for the "limp" thing .. yea, I think it's a bad idea too.

>I've seen a SD video that also advocated
>going limp. The theory is that they will try
>and drag you away from a public place, and
>its much harder to do if your limp.

Yea, that's the same idea she was taught. What's crazy is that it was like a one time seminar at a college. It's like, they come in and teach you to go limp and then leave you with just that information.

>> Perhaps it was because I had an inherent skill for the science and never deviated from natural principles. - Miyamoto Musashi 1643

IndoChinese
4/24/2003 8:09am,
that going 'limp' is the initiation of a sacrifice throw. by pulling the upper body, and dropping your hips and legs in front of the opponent's shins, you can cause them to fall forward. it requires that 'dead weight' fall. doing it by itself is ridiculous.

peace.

PizDoff
4/24/2003 1:14pm,
indeed

--
Hard work, Patience, Dedication.

http://www.thaing.net/technique.htm
Thanks to Blade Windu for link. Click on link and wait for codec install prompt. Then install and watch. Nasty fights.

Omega Supreme
4/24/2003 1:18pm,
lol, you would know about going limp huh 9chambers.

lol
somebody stop me!!
(seriously)

Go away I'm talking to myself

Bolverk
4/24/2003 1:39pm,
I have heard that going limp if someone grabs in a bear hug type grasp you will allow you to escape, and that makes sense. But staying limp upon escape would be a foolish thing to do in my mind. Learning to fight back after escaping would seem to be more practical.

Sincerely,

Knowing it is not enough, we must apply.
Willing is not enough, we must do.

IndoChinese
4/24/2003 2:09pm,
that can work. my wife has a cute trick against a full nelson. before it is set in, she raises her arms straight up and drops like a wet noodle. when she hits the ground she will tuck up and roll away or if pursued she uses straight kicks into the face, groin, or legs from her back. works if your not expecting it. i dont really care for that maneouver, but it is funny.

peace.

Punisher
4/24/2003 2:26pm,
Yeah, at my school we teach going with the flow and defending yourself through compliance too, but you have to do it right. If some one is trying to do soemthing to you, sometimes going with it and "compling" with the attack on your own you own terms is the only way to deal with the immediate threat. You still have to be ready to deal with the next one. This technique seems to leave that part out.

Omega Supreme
4/24/2003 3:31pm,
Yeah, at my school we teach going with the flow and defending yourself through compliance too, but you have to do it right. If some one is trying to do soemthing to you, sometimes going with it and "compling" with the attack on your own you own terms is the only way to deal with the immediate threat. You still have to be ready to deal with the next one. This technique seems to leave that part out.

Compliance sucks, somebody grabs you on the street he is your enemy. The enemy deserves no mercy

Cobra Kai!!!!

Go away I'm talking to myself

PizDoff
4/24/2003 4:50pm,
to quote a wise man.....

"Indeed."

--
Hard work, Patience, Dedication.

http://www.thaing.net/technique.htm
Thanks to Blade Windu for link. Click on link and wait for codec install prompt. Then install and watch. Nasty fights.