PDA

View Full Version : Two Things, from a Newbie/Untrained

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

ace_skippy
1/11/2006 7:52pm,
I have two issues to bringup. One is, how do I get over my insecurities about trained female fighters. I have an inherent insecurity about myself when comparing my fighting abilities to them, which hinders my social relationships with them. Any tips on getting rid of this insecurity? I dont want to feel ashamed of myself just because a woman has a blackbelt in karate or another and I am just an untrained athlete. Maybe some of the girls on here can tell me tips on how they helped insecure guys be more accepting.
My second thing is the concept of focusing power in your hits. I know martial arts is meant to develop, in some cases, the ability to intensify your power in a hit, through training. But, without this training, it seems that humans have an innate ability to power in their hits due to the emotions that arise in some conflicts. So, is martial arts really needed to get your most powerful hit in, or do you stand a better chance at allowing the emotions of a situation to control you?

P.S My stats, if anyone has any recommendations for a martial art to train in that would be well suited for my body type: Height: 6'3, Weight: 225, played football and soccer in high school.

TehDeadlyDimMak
1/11/2006 8:04pm,
Letting emotions control you has its pros and cons. Mostly cons in my opinion.

I'd generally take PROPER training over an untrained adrenaline rush any day. The reason being that when you're in control of your emotions you won't do idiotic things like charge forward and try and tackle a Jujitsu master. Plus, training can give you some wonderful weapons to use like hip throws, armbars, triangle chokes, roundhouses etc. Many of these moves have been proven in MMA competition to work against opponents with superior strength and power, which ultimately makes them useful since we can't count on being able to overpower our enemies all the time.

As for women, we just have to suck it up and train with them. Generally, MA women don't look down on men just for being untrained. There's plenty of men join the MAs after women and possess rankings under them. There's no shame in it, plenty of us on this board are outranked by women.

The following arts have the best quality control for their schools at the moment: Kyokushin Karate, Brazilian Jujitsu, Muay Thai, Chinese Sanda, Kodokan Judo, Sambo, etc.
Ultimately you should make your choice based on the quality of the individual school, I'm sure someone on this board can recommend a school based on your location. Around what area are you in?

Southpaw
1/11/2006 8:13pm,
P.S My stats, if anyone has any recommendations for a martial art to train in that would be well suited for my body type: Height: 6'3, Weight: 225, played football and soccer in high school.

Just curious how you played both football and soccer in high school when they are both fall sports?

JKDChick
1/11/2006 8:14pm,
As to fighting women: Grow up. Deal with it.

There.

(P.S. I am WELL aware this does not seem a helpful post. It is. All the advice that anyone can give amounts to this. Grow up. Be an adult. DEAL WITH IT.)

ace_skippy
1/11/2006 8:50pm,
As to fighting women: Grow up. Deal with it.

There.

(P.S. I am WELL aware this does not seem a helpful post. It is. All the advice that anyone can give amounts to this. Grow up. Be an adult. DEAL WITH IT.)

What are your stats JKDChick? Most of the fighting women ive encountered have been around 5'4, 110 lbs.
In response to the guy who said soccer and football are fall sports, I played club soccer year round, and varsity football during the fall.

JFS USA
1/11/2006 8:56pm,
Insecurities centered on Female MA ... huh? Dude, you read like a fucking troll.

This is Bullshido where seeking out and exposing bullshit reigns supreme ... I think. Regardless, way wrong forum to float your issues. Google Search ... 'Tard Boys Afraid of Confident Women and see what pops up.

And Noobs wonder why they are repeatedly told to STFU ... fucking bonehead thinks this a Dear Abby forum or some such crap ... what a total dweeb shitrat. The BEAST

JFS USA
1/11/2006 9:01pm,
What are your stats JKDChick?

WTF? Look Noob ... you would be well advised to read several of JKDChick's posts before trying to pick her up or suck up to her.

You "think" you have issues with fighting Women now ... she'll give you a lifetime of nightmares without even trying.

Most of the fighting women ive encountered have been around 5'4, 110 lbs.

Wunnerful ... you are scared of and/or insecure around Pocket Rockets ... thanks for sharing Skippy. Now STFU Noob. The BEAST

ace_skippy
1/11/2006 9:02pm,
Insecurities centered on Female MA ... huh? Dude, you read like a fucking troll.

This is Bullshido where seeking out and exposing bullshit reigns supreme ... I think. Regardless, way wrong forum to float your issues. Google Search ... 'Tard Boys Afraid of Confident Women and see what pops up.

And Noobs wonder why they are repeatedly told to STFU ... fucking bonehead thinks this a Dear Abby forum or some such crap ... what a total dweeb shitrat. The BEAST

Sorry, talk big behind the computer, but I'd surely lay you out off of the computer, training or no training. Tell your mom to STFU.: )

ace_skippy
1/11/2006 9:03pm,
WTF? Look Noob ... you would be well advised to read several of JKDChick's posts before trying to pick her up or suck up to her.

You "think" you have issues with fighting Women now ... she'll give you a lifetime of nightmares without even trying.

Wunnerful ... you are scared of and/or insecure around Pocket Rockets ... thanks for sharing Skippy. Now STFU Noob. The BEAST

If she tries me in hand to hand combat, I'd lay her out quickly. Lol, would be no different than restraining a fucking 12 yr old.

JKDChick
1/11/2006 9:36pm,
For the record, I'm 5'7", 165 pounds, a BJJ Blue belt with multiple gold medals and a boxer/kickboxer/JKD Concepts stand-up fighter.

I like men, so you're out of the running there, ace.

You are now declared a troll unless you prove otherwise.

bwerb
1/11/2006 9:43pm,
Hahahaha...nice one troll...you just insulted two posters who are both well known off-line as incredible fighters...I'm sure either of them would be willing to hand you your ass. (Search button Noob!)

As per your questions...first you need to grow a pair...then you perhaps you won't have such a pathetic fear of women. Actually...you might like the Martialist...seems like it might be more your speed and tone (do you fear the homeless too?)

Second question...BJJ beats Spazfoo any day of the week.

JKDChick
1/11/2006 9:45pm,
Thanks bwerb, but I am not an "incredible fighter". I'm a journeyman fighter, with some gifts. The stubbornness of stone, for instance.

bwerb
1/11/2006 9:54pm,
JKDChick...compaired to our nutless wonder here who's scared of girls who know how to hit...a woman with a BJJ blue belt is so far beyond his comprehensional skills of awesomeness (sic) that the word incredible should just about cover all he needs to know in terms he "might" understand.

grin.

Hannibal
1/11/2006 10:02pm,
Hahahaha...nice one troll...you just insulted two posters who are both well known off-line as incredible fighters...I'm sure either of them would be willing to hand you your ass. (Search button Noob!)

Don't exaggerate.

To the new guy I just have to say relax. There is no need to feel insecure around women. WOmen attracted to fighting arts normally are assertive and aggressive and admire those qualities in others. Just treat them like anyone else.

Secondly someone else's comment was right on the money. Your full contact competition styles have a good track record of turning out quality fighters, so go with them. But sometimes you just have to go with whats available in your area.

WHat styles do you have access to ?

ace_skippy
1/11/2006 10:16pm,
JKDChick...compaired to our nutless wonder here who's scared of girls who know how to hit...a woman with a BJJ blue belt is so far beyond his comprehensional skills of awesomeness (sic) that the word incredible should just about cover all he needs to know in terms he "might" understand.

grin.

I apologize.
To the other guy who suggested a few martial arts:
The particular woman in question who is 5'4, 110 lbs, doesnt just know how to hit. She's a 3rd dan Shotokan and claims to have trained for 20 years, 15 of which were in japan. She's at least 40 years old.

With my bone structure, I give college football players a run for the money. I'm 6'3, my legs, from waist to floor, are 46 inches, ground to chin, is 68 inches, and arm length is 32 inches from top of shoulder blades to the end of the hand. I'm well-designed for hitting at a distance, and possibly wrapping people up. My trunk, waist to neck, is very small.

I do the following workouts right now, just started back lifting weights after an off-period of a few years.
1st week- 2 days of 35 * 20lb bicep curls per arm, 5 * 30 lb bicep curls, 25 * 20lb wrist curls, and then 5 * 30 lb wrist curls; 3 days of 120 pushups straight, then 3 sets of 35. Each of the 5 days, my workout is punctuated with 160 forward situps.
Each week, I alternated between the 2 days of weight training, and 3 days pushups, 3-2, then 2-3.

No pool or running workouts yet.

The 75 inches of my height is without shoes, so slightly taller on the streets. My shoe size is 12/1/2 to 13, i wear a 13 for more comfortable fit. that would affect the amount of damage I could inflict on a street situation that turns to stomping.

TehDeadlyDimMak
1/11/2006 10:31pm,
Sorry, talk big behind the computer, but I'd surely lay you out off of the computer, training or no training. Tell your mom to STFU.: )

Actually both of them are regular attending Throwdown Fighters who would lay you out in a second. You're untrained, they've proven they can beat the crap out of TRAINED people bigger than you.

Not trying to be mean, just stating how it is. JFS and JKDchick talk the way they do because they've earned it. Everyone should fear them.