PDA

View Full Version : Ju-Jitsu in the movies...

saturnjunkie
12/24/2005 11:14pm,
I know how when you think movies you think flashy worthless kicking and strikes.

In the past few months, my eyes have really been opened up to the potency of various forms of ju-jitsu grappling and groundwork. Anyways, so it seems like the more movies I watch, the more I see it. I can think of a few examples:

1) Mr. And Mrs. Smith - Brad Pitt is working out doing some MMA work. At first I commented on the muay thai/kickboxing he was doing.. then they took it to the ground and they show a clip of him in an armbar. I was.. surprised.

2) Same movie - is that angelina jolie putting brad pitt into a guillotine?

3) The first lethal weapon movie. Daniel Glover's character remarks "Don't try any of that ju-jitsu crap on me".. and then the movie ends with a fight (Mr. Joshua vs Riggs) resulting in a deciding triangle choke :P

I guess given the third example it's been there all along and I just was uninformed enough to not see it. Now that I know it's there it's kind of cool to see at least SOMEONE in the movies is putting in some fight choreography that actually works.

They're still movies though :eusa_snoo

(btw the purpose of this thread is... it's kind of late and I'm bored on xmas eve - let's have some kind of interesting discussion.. this is the best I could come up with :-/ )

Gumby
12/25/2005 1:47am,
The Lethal Weapon fight scene is definately a good one, but the reason you dont see more in movies is because its just not as entertaining.

You can take a kick or a punch and make it look like its traveling 100mph and hits like a sledge, and thats what peoples images of martial arts are- you dont need to understand martial arts to be impressed by a kick or a punch (which is why I believe boxing is as popular as it is- its an easy sport to pick up and follow).

The same cant be said for groundwork. Before BJJ, I knew nothing that was going on when it hit the ground. Someone could be in a full blown armlock or chokehold and I'd have no idea. A choke hold looks like a headlock, and a good double just looks like a tackle- its difficult to see the technique involved when you dont know what you're looking at.

Pandinha
12/25/2005 3:00am,
Just watched it.

Ground and pound from half guard from the movie "A Christmas Story".

Knightmare
12/25/2005 3:09am,
Ralphie won via TKO(Mom stoppage).

Baator-Steel
12/25/2005 8:55am,
You know Horion Gracie (sp?) is actually in leathal weapon.

G-G-G Ghost!
12/25/2005 9:03am,
I believe Sandra Bullock's character sparred jujutsu-style with some love-interest or other in "Miss Congeniality"

Lotion
12/25/2005 8:21pm,
it can be used in the movies, they need to do those sweet ass sweeps. They look flashy as hell. From the bottom, sweep them and GnP

Tom Kagan
12/27/2005 11:56am,
The original version of "The Manchurian Candidate" has a decent fight scene halfway through.

CanucKyokushin
12/27/2005 12:11pm,
You know Horion Gracie (sp?) is actually in leathal weapon.
Where???

nerveasian
12/27/2005 4:46pm,
I believe he choreographed that fight scene, but I'm not sure that he actually appears in the movie.

Memnoch1207
12/27/2005 5:55pm,
Yes, the Gracies (Rorion and Royce) helped do some of the fight choreography in Lethal Weapon.

Method2Madness
12/27/2005 6:26pm,
this wasnt jiujitsu in action, but if you watch the movie "Sidekicks" at the part where Chuck Norris is signing autographs you can see somone wearing a gi with the name Gracie on it.

saturnjunkie
12/27/2005 6:36pm,
Uhoh, looks like the big "CN" has been mentioned. I give it 3 more posts before the thread self-destructs into a sea of comments on 'chuck norris's ubar time-warping roundhouse'

JKDChick
12/27/2005 6:52pm,
Gollum got some hooks in for a rear naked in Two Towers.

And Rorian Gracie was the technical advisor on Lethal Weapon 1.

JKDChick
12/27/2005 6:53pm,
There's guy I work with named Walker, we all started calling him "Texas Ranger", then "Tex" and now he's "Chuck Norris". I think he likes it.