PDA

View Full Version : taekwon do

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

jkd_fighter
4/17/2003 9:34am,
evryone hates tkd for various reasons, many of tkd's techniques are not that great, but has tkd ever been proven "inefecive" against some other art? (besides that one muay thai vs tkd vid)

iam not trying to start a flame war, iam just curious.

jkd_fighter
4/17/2003 9:39am,
what rank are you? do you do wtf?

Blad3
4/17/2003 11:24am,
TKD can be good, if it;s trained full contact then it can.

I think there was a NHB tornemnt one time, with some fighters from "Triad" TKD, and they beat their opponents from standing...They did grappling too I think..

=====

"I bet you're the kinda guy who'd **** a person in the ass and not even have the god damn common courtesy to give him a reach around."

Full Metal Jacket. (http://www.ebaumsworld.com/jacket2.html)

Edited by - Blade Windu on April 17 2003 11:40:31

Blade-Of-Katana
4/17/2003 11:39am,
Yeah I agree. TKD has some merit, but to many people are trying to profit off of it. MOST TKD schools are just $60/mo aerobics lessons. Not to mention that there are like 17 per city.

Blad3
4/17/2003 11:45am,
True, a lot of htem are all about themoney - think how much the bigger ones are making in terms of profit?

Even that TKD, with it's light or contact stuff can teach you a thing or two about disatnce and movement. You also get some decent conditiong - and the flexibility? Excellent. If you go FCon then that's excellent too.

"tkd ever been proven "inefecive" against some other art? "
JKDF - to be honest I think it has, or at least a lot that strated off as TKD went on to do kickboxing, I actually have a clip of a karate/kickboxing/MMA person (in a kickboxing match) fighting a TKD guy - Give me your ICQ and I'll send it over to you.....

=====

"I bet you're the kinda guy who'd **** a person in the ass and not even have the god damn common courtesy to give him a reach around."

Blade-Of-Katana
4/17/2003 4:00pm,
What about the Kimo vs. Royce Graice Fight?

grecoman
4/17/2003 9:12pm,
Kimo was obviously not TKD. I can't remember if thats what they had him listed as in UFC, but he was just a ground and pound brawler.

N8y5000
4/17/2003 9:34pm,
Dan bo?

If it doesn't work, you're not doing it right.

<<2nd dan BB, 10yrs. WTF/USTU Fullcontact traditional/competition school....seperate instructors for each.

School= TaeKwonDo World under Master George Bliel 6th Dan (Traditional instructor), Master Christina Bailey 5th Dan(competition instructor), and Grandmaster Y.C. Kim 9th Dan(Mostly Traditional instructor)

It works for me.

WTDude
4/17/2003 10:15pm,
I sparred with a black belt TKD instructor when I had been training in WT for one year. I managed to get the best of him, but without my training, I have no doubt he would have beat my ass.

You can't make a man by standing a sheep on its hindlegs but if you get a group of men together you can create a herd of sheep.

Kicking Machine
4/17/2003 11:00pm,
I know that there are some of them out there, but how many street thug martial artists are out there? I train more than one art, but my primary one is TKD. If you're doing TKD, you gotta learn low kicks, you have to.

Blad3
4/18/2003 3:36am,
"I managed to get the best of him, but without my training, I have no doubt he would have beat my ass." What happened?

=====

"I bet you're the kinda guy that would **** a person in the ass and not even have the god damn common courtesy to give him a reach around."

rmclain
4/18/2003 7:01am,
Osiris,

What rank is "Dan Bo?" I've never heard of that before.

Sincerely,

R. McLain

PizDoff
4/18/2003 8:00am,
First dan i believe...as in "just" black belt

I sparred with a black belt TKD instructor when I had been training in WT for one year. I managed to get the best of him, but without my training, I have no doubt he would have beat my ass.

Training, conditioning and experiance. I'm sure a lot of TKD guys (maybe say 1-2% hahahahaha) could easily beat an untrained attacker.

Osiris-LOL
Too much competition TKD in my little town....

--
Hard work, Patience, Dedication.
The more you sweat in training, the less you bleed later.
"Just one more........rep!!! ARGH!!!" *Collapses*

FCTKD
4/20/2003 1:16pm,
My friends boxing vs my Taekwondo put to the test. We sparred on a empty gymansium court at the local Ymca. Be both worn 6oz gloves and I wore shin and instep padding to be fair. So we begin I'm at least two full steps away, keeping my range. We are in open stance his left leg in in front and so is mine. I get really close he jabs. I direct counter attack left leg slides back to the position my right leg was, my right leg slams into his inner thigh. His knee buckles enough that when his straight right omes I'm back out of range he seems shakin up at this point. I raise my rear leg off the ground he drops his hands to block and I areo step to a left roundhouse to his face I'm about to follow up with a back kick when I realize he's staggering bad. He was out on his feet. I helped hm to a bench and we shook hands and went for beers. People keep telling me my tkd is useless but it serves me well.

He was pretty much stunned, he was caught off guard. he said it was fun though and we're going to spar more often just not as full contact. I think the key to tkd is the foot work I train 50% on just footwork and think of practical applications for it. My wrestler buddy heard what happened and wanted to give me a try too.

They're are good schools out there but I wish they wouldn't let just anyone open up a school, my teacher is a kukkiwon school graduate as I think all instructors should be. People tell me that in close tkd sucks but it has alot of elbowing which I find better than punching in close anyway plus with my foot work I can stand right next to you and kick you hard! I wish every school was like mine.

Blad3
4/20/2003 1:44pm,
"People keep telling me my tkd is useless but it serves me well. " assuming this is true - Good roundhouse!

"They're are good schools out there but I wish they wouldn't let just anyone open up a school" That's the reason for Bullshido.com :D Remmber, why people say "it sucks" is because in general all it is, is punches and kicks only But most of all it's ONLY light contact, point sparring,and you have to wear a load of gear. This may not be true for your school though...tehy vary GREATLY...

=====

"I bet you're the kinda guy that would **** a person in the ass and not even have the god damn common courtesy to give him a reach around."

N8y5000
4/20/2003 1:47pm,
I believe "aero step" is flutter kick for us. It's heavenly to hit with because people never expect it, AND because of the first kick being a low fake to the right, the second goes to an unguarded high left and it's devastating.

Sounds like fun.

A friend and I were fighting around because he said that my TKD wouldn't do me any good against him....He did manage to get me down after him taking a bad round house kick to the knee. But when he was coming after me, while I was on my side, I kicked him about 6 times before he got to me and did a sort of side mount thing. I didn't want to kick him in the face so I stopped at that point. Then he punched me in the face twice! And here I thought that was taboo for a friendly battle. So I figured it was ok to go ahead and kick him. I elbowed him in the lip and he sat up so I kicked him in the head. We spent a couple hours after that me with a developing black eye, ice over it, and him with ice on his lip and the side of his head. I had to appologize about 100 times I felt so bad. Overall a STUPID waste of time. We were still good friends though even after that.