PDA

View Full Version : Kong-jitsu!

Pages : [1] 2

Lefroll
12/18/2005 2:21pm,
Came across this site:

http://www.isegoria.net/2005/12/king-kong-ulimate-fighting-champion.htm

And then I saw the new one last night, it's pretty good too. Kong's got some mma skills! (I won't give away any spoilers though)

bdweezil6998
12/18/2005 2:33pm,
Although it would be cool to see computer generated MMA, I think I'll save my money and catch Kong when it comes out on video. I mean, there's no surprise ending, right?

Neildo
12/18/2005 2:41pm,
Sweet! there's a link to the video.

Kong doesn't break rex's jaw, he snaps his neck! badass!

broken fingers
12/18/2005 2:57pm,
Although it would be cool to see computer generated MMA, I think I'll save my money and catch Kong when it comes out on video. I mean, there's no surprise ending, right?

2 words my friend. boot leg

PointyShinyBurn
12/19/2005 8:51am,
To my mind Kong's anti- T-Rex technique was pretty sub optimal, his killing move of choice involved putting his hands inside their big, spikey mouths.

Surely huge long necks and tiny little arms equals chokes? Wait till they go for the bite and catch them in a guillotine monkey man!

The movie however, still rocked so hard that I fear films from now on may be universally awful, as the world's supply of awesome has been entirely used up.

chaosexmachina
12/19/2005 7:38pm,
Bootleg is one word. Oh wait, you're banned. Nevermind.

PizDoff
12/19/2005 11:54pm,
My congratulations for beating me to posting this.........article.

feedback
12/20/2005 12:23am,
It was really long, the first 3rd of the movie should have been edited severely, it was amazingly uncompelling. Also, it's pretty difficult to watch Adrian Brody's face for 3 hours without feeling sick.

G.R. Bug
12/20/2005 12:54am,
Thanks for posting the Kong info. I watched the fight scene from the original and noticed some hook punches (at about :25, :37 and 1:45), lots of clinching, and an insane seionage in which Kong tunbles over with the T-Rex as he completes the throw.

T-Rex does a nice job defending against the single-leg takedown by using his tail to stabilize himself (at about 1:05 and 1:15).

I'd be interested to know if animator Willis O'Brien, or anyone else associated with the 1933 production, had any experience in boxing, wrestling or judo that was applied in that fight scene.

Edit: Well, whaddaya know. Willis O'Brien was an unsuccessful boxer early in his adult life, and brought that experience to the T-Rex fight scene in "King Kong." Read about it here: http://www.kongisking.net/perl/newsview/17/1132348426

Son of Edit: V Thanks, Neildo. That's pretty typical for me -- I read just enough of a post to make me want to respond, and then go rip-roaring into whatever it is I have to say, without bothering to see if it's already been said. Anyway, it sounds like they had a proto-MMA think-tank going on there at the "Kong" animation set.

Neildo
12/20/2005 1:13am,
Dude, it's at the bottom of the page, under the link to the video.

Edit: I'd been wondering how and why that fight scene was so well choreographed. I had assumed that the stop-motion animators were working from footage of pro wresters (back when the bouts were fairly credible). It turns out there's an even better explanation (from IMDB (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0024216/trivia)):
Both Merian C. Cooper and Ernest B. Schoedsack had been wrestlers, and they acted out the fighting moves for the battle between the T Rex and Kong in the effects studio, before the animators shot the scene.

lifetime
12/20/2005 9:31am,
To my mind Kong's anti- T-Rex technique was pretty sub optimal, his killing move of choice involved putting his hands inside their big, spikey mouths.

Surely huge long necks and tiny little arms equals chokes? Wait till they go for the bite and catch them in a guillotine monkey man!

The movie however, still rocked so hard that I fear films from now on may be universally awful, as the world's supply of awesome has been entirely used up.

'Tis true. I'm spoiled for movies after King Kong. I don't know how I'll ever go back to watching regular blockbusters with only one main action sequence and only a handful of good moments scattered through the movie rather than pure unstopping awesomeness for 2 hours (because the first hour, though interesting, wasn't that awesome).

I saw Chronicles of Narnia a few days after Kong, and despite what everyone said about brilliant effects and Tilda Swinton and really really teary moments when Aslan dies, it just.. didn't make an impression at all. After feeling sympathy for a gigantic monkey, nothing else really comes close to emulating that feeling.

chaosexmachina
12/20/2005 9:51pm,
Dude!! SPOILER!!!

BenwaMandelbrot
12/21/2005 1:04am,
All scenes with dinosaurs in that movie should have been rated "A" for "awesome".

BudoBuyu
12/21/2005 1:24am,
'Tis true. I'm spoiled for movies after King Kong. I don't know how I'll ever go back to watching regular blockbusters with only one main action sequence and only a handful of good moments scattered through the movie rather than pure unstopping awesomeness for 2 hours (because the first hour, though interesting, wasn't that awesome).

I saw Chronicles of Narnia a few days after Kong, and despite what everyone said about brilliant effects and Tilda Swinton and really really teary moments when Aslan dies, it just.. didn't make an impression at all. After feeling sympathy for a gigantic monkey, nothing else really comes close to emulating that feeling.

Seriously, was I the only puss in there that was holding back jerking tears at the end? I saw grown men standing in the lobby afterwords wiping away tears. I think for me it was the whole "protector" factor of Kong that got to me.

On a side note, it was neat how Jackson stuck to a lot of the old scenes.

lifetime
12/21/2005 3:24am,
King Kong: makes grown men weep like little girls. In more ways than one.

And seriously, Aslan dies. Come on. It's not a spoiler if the movie is closely based on a popular book. With all the reviews and chat about Chronicles of Narnia being an allegory for Christ merely because of the sacrifice, it's a wonder if you've managed to get this far through the internet and NOT hear about it.

chaosexmachina
12/21/2005 6:45pm,
I read that book in grade TWO. I don't remember **** about it (except something about Turkish delight). I was looking forward to having the movie remind me...

I'll get over it, though... :P