PDA

View Full Version : Need help in New Orleans...

Pages : [1] 2

Wanderer31
12/10/2005 10:42pm,
Hey guys. I trained in martial arts a bit in High School. I started in Kung Fu when I was 16. I trained for about a year, than switched to Shorin gi ryu karate, or however its spelled. I learned quite a bit in that time. I learned that the conventional training I was receiving was basically crap. I got the most out of sparring which I tried to do as much as possible.

I quickly learned that my fast hands, and very simple kicks were the best things I had going for me. I boxed a bit as a kid and am very quick.

Now on to my question. I would like to get back into training. However, I don't want any bullshit. I have been in enough fights since high school to know how it usually works. Most bar fights, arguements on the street consist of the person with the biggest balls hitting the other guy first. It usually ends right there. Not much else to it.

I want something simple and effective. I know gracie ju...I have no idea how to spell it, is excellent against a single opponant in a controlled setting. But it doesn't seem to be all that good in a bar, or a crowded scenario. These are the situations where I have gotten into the most fights. And like I said earlier, it usually consists of someone hitting the other guy first, fight's over.

Any suggestions? Particularly from you ballbusters who get into bar fights, street fights a lot. I'm still fairly strong. I could do a full free standing squat with 400lbs just a year ago. My upper body strength is still fairly good as well. Probably could bench 225 still. I weight 185-190.

Also, what about conditioning for fighting?

Thanks for the help. This site is very cool.

Kengou
12/10/2005 11:09pm,
Wrong forum, read the damn stickies.

I'm feeling nice though, I'll respond. If you don't want to learn BJJ or grappling, try Muay Thai, Boxing, or Kyokushin. Something with full contact.

Te No Kage!
12/10/2005 11:18pm,
live by the sword, die by the sword

if you're worried about self-defence, buy a pistol, take it to the range and practice

if you go looking to best people in streetfighting, you'll eventually land in jail if you're not shot or stabbed first

use your brain and stay out of trouble, you'll live a longer and happier life

Wanderer31
12/10/2005 11:26pm,
live by the sword, die by the sword

if you're worried about self-defence, buy a pistol, take it to the range and practice

if you go looking to best people in streetfighting, you'll eventually land in jail if you're not shot or stabbed first

use your brain and stay out of trouble, you'll live a longer and happier life

I live in New Orleans. In case you haven't been there, prior to katrina, we were known as being a party city. This is true. Whenever you go out, you end up at a bar or club somewhere. Unfortunately, there are always people starting **** somewhere. I don't want to have to leave a place because some ass is starting ****. I'm a fairly intimidating looking guy, so insecure, angry shitheads always end up shooting me dirty looks, etc. Its especially true since I'm good looking and attract woman. Sometimes its some dude's girlfriend and they don't take too kindly to that.

Please understand, I am not looking for trouble. I never am looking for trouble but its inevitable if you go out. I just want to know some ways to drop someone quick so I don't have to go throught this bullshit.

Cheers.

Wanderer31
12/10/2005 11:28pm,
Wrong forum, read the damn stickies.

I'm feeling nice though, I'll respond. If you don't want to learn BJJ or grappling, try Muay Thai, Boxing, or Kyokushin. Something with full contact.

What is BJJ, and what is kyokushin? I like the idea of full contact. I'm getting old though.(31)

broken fingers
12/10/2005 11:37pm,
BJJ= Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

Kyokushin- hardcore, full-contact Karate

FighterJones
12/10/2005 11:43pm,
There is a house....in new orleans...they call the rising sun...It's been the ruin of many poor men, and oh, Lord I was one....

And Wanderer, for what your doing, whats best for you is olympic tae kwon do.
that stuff will get you hauling ass....
No way man
you have to do ATA TKD, that is PERFECT for barfighting.

broken fingers
12/10/2005 11:43pm,
in my area, Kyokushin is no where to be found, considering that tougher arts seem to spread slower + have less mcdojos.

muay thai or Kyokushin is the overall favorite striking art of this entire site...

JFS USA
12/10/2005 11:47pm,
What is BJJ, and what is kyokushin? I like the idea of full contact. I'm getting old though.(31)

Dude, you are still a fucking Kid. Go to the Maryland Throwdown threads as I'm there.

I'm 50, old enough to be your Father, Son ... bag the bullshit concerns about banging hard and have at it. It's only pain ... learn to enjoy it.

:new_astha Burn The World :new_astha

Wanderer31
12/10/2005 11:49pm,
There is a house....in new orleans...they call the rising sun...It's been the ruin of many poor men, and oh, Lord I was one....

Haha.

Ok. BJJ is cool for a bar type brawl? Mua tai seems pretty cool. I'm sure I mispelled it too, lol. Oh, where should I have posted this? Someone pointed out that this is the wrong forum.

JFS USA
12/10/2005 11:51pm,
muay thai or Kyokushin is the overall favorite striking art of this entire site...

Given the large number of **** sucking panty waste douche bags on any MA Forum ... hardly an endorsement worth considering.

FighterJones
12/10/2005 11:52pm,
nah man.
I told you, its ATA TKD , that stuff will fucking rock your socks

Te No Kage!
12/10/2005 11:52pm,
I live in New Orleans. In case you haven't been there, prior to katrina, we were known as being a party city. This is true. Whenever you go out, you end up at a bar or club somewhere. Unfortunately, there are always people starting **** somewhere. I don't want to have to leave a place because some ass is starting ****. I'm a fairly intimidating looking guy, so insecure, angry shitheads always end up shooting me dirty looks, etc. Its especially true since I'm good looking and attract woman. Sometimes its some dude's girlfriend and they don't take too kindly to that.

Please understand, I am not looking for trouble. I never am looking for trouble but its inevitable if you go out. I just want to know some ways to drop someone quick so I don't have to go throught this bullshit.

Cheers.

ya, I don't live to far away, NOLA is(was) my favorite place to party and hang out, if you have to get in a fight with every dude that gives you a "look" then I strongly doubt you will have the patience to practice and learn a martial art. If you've spent time in any bars in NO then you'd know that anytime there is a physical altercation both people get bounced no matter who started it, so you can walk away and leave the bar on your own, or get beat up by some dude and get bounced, or beat up some guy and then get beat up by a gang of bouncers after you're kicked out of the bar.

broken fingers
12/10/2005 11:53pm,
nah man.
I told you, its ATA TKD , that stuff will fucking rock your socks

What the **** are you talkin bout?

listen man, two words

WING CHUN

JFS USA
12/10/2005 11:54pm,
Haha.

Ok. BJJ is cool for a bar type brawl? Mua tai seems pretty cool. I'm sure I mispelled it too, lol. Oh, where should I have posted this? Someone pointed out that this is the wrong forum.

Dude, if you don't know how to escape the ground and quickly regain your feet you would be well advised to take up BJJ. Fucking bar floors are almost always splattered with spilled drinks and who the Hell knows what other "fluids" ... slippery, crowded, with drunk mutherfukers who cheap shot anyone in a fight just to say they were in on it.

FighterJones
12/10/2005 11:56pm,
What the **** are you talkin bout?

listen man, two words

WING CHUN

Man, if your not even gonna take the hardcore ****, at least spell it right, its vsting ctsung