PDA

View Full Version : Weapon based MMA?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Odacon
12/08/2005 1:51pm,
Has anyone ever heard of a fight between two different weapon-based martial art? e.g. escrima vs kendo? And what do you think the outcome would be in such a contest?

MaverickZ
12/08/2005 1:54pm,
ask the dog brothers

Odacon
12/08/2005 1:56pm,
Have they fought Kendo practioners? There are other similar styles, like the French La Canne, I think thery would be very interesting contests.

Robot Jesus
12/08/2005 1:56pm,
Probably would have more to do with the weapon then the practitioner, it would take one hell of a knife fighter to overcome an adequate kendo practitioner.

hl1978
12/08/2005 2:01pm,
Yes they happen, you can find video of kendo vs naginata practicioners. Kendo people have fought against SCA people and so forth.

Kendo is not some unbeatable martial art, but rather has limited targets like sport point fighting, has had the MMA elements (striking and grappling removed), does not practice against anyone with shields, prohibits leg shots.

It is however, one hell of a workout and a great sport.

Neildo
12/08/2005 2:06pm,
The guy that taught me some Arnis when I lived in Edmonton competed in a mixed weapons touney. He told me he took first place (I saw the trophy) by beating guys armed with Bo staff, Nunchuku, tonfa, and those funky Kung fu swords (top left corner (http://www.netslide.com/combat/kungfu/armes-kungfu2.jpeg)) , and some others i don't remember....with Kali sticks.

Philippines FTW baby!

NinjaWannabe
12/08/2005 2:23pm,
I remember from one of the Dog Brothers videos a few years ago a Kendo guy showed up with a bokken and fought against a guy with escrima sticks. The Kendo dude did OK for a while (good range and footwork), but once the escrima guy closed and clinched it was all over. Now, I have no idea the background/training of either guy, so take it FWIT.

Mr. Mantis
12/08/2005 2:35pm,
those funky Kung fu swords (top left corner (http://www.netslide.com/combat/kungfu/armes-kungfu2.jpeg)) ,

Hook swords - they are exclusively a northern weapon.

Ryno
12/08/2005 3:40pm,
When I was training FMA in California, we used to always **** around by sparring with different weapons. A lot of the guys had experience in other systems, and it was pretty fun. Here are a few that I've tried, and my impressions of the matchups.

Single stick vs. double stick. Single stick advantage at close due to live hand control, double at long.

6' staff vs double stick. Pretty even. The double stick is quicker, staff more powerful.

4' staff/long sword vs. Single stick. Big power advantage for short staff, plus range. Single stick advantage at close, with live hand trapping and control.

Nunchucks vs. everything. Chucks suck, as they are momentum based and easily disrupted. They wer only good for chokes.

Stick and dagger vs. double stick. Double stick must stay at range. Dagger at close is a fight ender.

Single stick vs. stick and dagger. Oddly enough, fairly even if the empty hand is used to check and grab aggressively.

4' staff/long sword vs. double stick. Advantage double stick. Staff weilder's hands tend to get hit a lot against double weapons.

Stick and dagger vs. 4'staff/long sword. Advantage long sword. It is very difficult dealing with the power, and difficult to get close enough to engage with the the dagger.

Double Sai vs. single stick. Advantage stick. Sai can't handle the power, broke a lot, got disarmed, and weilder's hands got smashed repeatedly.

Of course, all of this could vary, depending on the practitioner. These were just some of the more common observations that I made based on the matchups that I saw and participated in.

theraydiator
12/08/2005 4:00pm,
The title of this thread is kind of deceiving.

MMA =/= style vs. style

Doctor Shaft
12/08/2005 4:09pm,
Sounds like the fancier the weapon gets, the less "effective" the weapon might be. Nunchucks look awesome, and probably pack a whole lot of hurt when you connect, but depend entirely too much on avoiding contact with something as simple as a stick. :)

On the other hand I wouldn't know. I've done a little mock long-knife fighting with gloves, mask, and "boffers." It's interesting because with little experience you really have trouble judging distance. I got my hand "cut" or "poked" an number of times. I never got so far into it that grappling was employed, though, although with knives I'm not so sure that's where you'd want to be.

Neildo
12/08/2005 4:20pm,
Nunchucks vs. everything. Chucks suck, as they are momentum based and easily disrupted.

This is only true if the user insists on spinning them around like a damn ninja turtle.

The weapon can only be disrupted if you're not currently smashing your opponents face in with them. Try hitting a heavy tree with 'chucks, without breaking all your fingers. With practice, 'chucks are t3h aw3s0me.

(yeah yeah, tree no hit back. well, the weapon does...so :cussing: )

I aint punchy!?
12/08/2005 5:04pm,
This is only true if the user insists on spinning them around like a damn ninja turtle.

The weapon can only be disrupted if you're not currently smashing your opponents face in with them. Try hitting a heavy tree with 'chucks, without breaking all your fingers. With practice, 'chucks are t3h aw3s0me.

(yeah yeah, tree no hit back. well, the weapon does...so :cussing: )

No, you're wrong. Against an unarmed opponent you can swing once with nun-chucks, and if you hit ANYTHING, you must spend a good deal of time re-chambering the weapon before you can strike again. Now if the person you are fighting is holding something hard: escrima stick, chair, their jacket, even their arm; you are going to smash into it with your nun-chucks, perhaps causing some pain, but being unable to re-ready it before they smash you with their weapon, or close for unarmed fighting.

Not to mention that with nunchucks blocking is essentially pointless, and that they have a very significant point of weakness in their chain section when compared to a stick.

Their only advantage is that they are more concealable than a stick.

Its a little like fighting with a yoyo. Seems like a cool idea but at the end of the day a good hard stick is far better.

Neildo
12/08/2005 5:17pm,
Against an unarmed opponent you can swing once with nun-chucks, and if you hit ANYTHING, you must spend a good deal of time re-chambering the weapon before you can strike again.

Why are you chambering your weapon? We're not talking about forms comp. we're talking combat.

I agree that a stick is better. What I am saying, is that the nunchaku is not a totally useless weapon.

I've actually used the chain section of a nunchuck to disarm a stickfighter BTW. It wasn't on t3h str33t...we were doing some light sparring....and it was a total fluke. But it worked.

So there!

Now if the person you are fighting is holding something hard: escrima stick, chair, their jacket, even their arm; you are going to smash into it with your nun-chucks, perhaps causing some pain, but being unable to re-ready it before they smash you with their weapon, or close for unarmed fighting.

Um...really? You sure about that?

isol8d
12/08/2005 5:47pm,
Hook swords - they are exclusively a northern weapon.

Visual Reference of chinese martial arts weapons (http://www.wahlumdenver.com/weapons.php)

Like most kung fu weapons, I find the double hooks very dated and impracticle. I have no doubt that an escrimador could school me if I had to use the hooks.

But damn, they are fun to learn forms with.

Mr.Mundane
12/08/2005 5:53pm,
Rapier kicks ass.