PDA

View Full Version : Kids in the Martial Arts

Pages : [1] 2 3

kohainikyu
11/29/2005 6:11pm,
I recently was hired as an instructor for a youth program. It's a low income program and I'm contracted out to teach MA to kids between the ages of 5 and 15. I've been doing it for a few weeks but altogether I've been teaching MA for 5 years (at my dojo...). This is the first time I've had no immediate supervision and been able to teach what I want. I am fortunate to have had amazing training in teaching my system, not to mention I'm an education major which probably helps. I've taught at sleep away camps, daycamps, etc....

I am teaching it to these kids who really want to be there, they are the best group of kids I have ever taught, hands down. I have seen some debates on whether kids should learn MA or not or are responsible enough or not but that's not what this is about.

I was hoping to get some opinions on the most valuable things to teach children in your opinion as far as MA goes. Anything, technique, life lessons, preventative measures.... etc....

I just would like to get some others views on the topic. Let me know....

blargle
11/29/2005 6:21pm,
What type of martial art are you teaching?

kohainikyu
11/29/2005 6:23pm,
What type of martial art are you teaching?

A system I've been studying for the past 11 years. It's called Street Defense. It incorporates attributes from 12 different styles...

The basic idea behind it is two be able to identify an attacker's learned or natural style of fighting and have something to counter it.

ojgsxr6
11/29/2005 6:23pm,
I would check out this article:
http://www.bullshido.net/modules.php?name=Reviews&file=viewreview&id=170

kohainikyu
11/29/2005 6:25pm,
I would check out this article:
http://www.bullshido.net/modules.php?name=Reviews&file=viewreview&id=170

Awesome, thanks for being so helpful. That's a cool article but I also wanted to get member's personal opinions (so don't kill me for not searching!). Thanks again.

blargle
11/29/2005 6:30pm,
A system I've been studying for the past 11 years. It's called Street Defense. It incorporates attributes from 12 different styles...

The basic idea behind it is two be able to identify an attacker's learned or natural style of fighting and have something to counter it.
Ah. Thats sounds interesting. Which styles are in it?

kohainikyu
11/29/2005 6:40pm,
Ah. Thats sounds interesting. Which styles are in it?

It's important to know that we don't do EVERYTHING from every style... what we take from a certain style may be as little as some foot work or a single manipulation or can be as vast as a series of techniques... etc.

Muay Thai bone conditioning...elbows knees and shins, BJJ takedowns and submissions, Police Tactics, firearms training, general karate studies, kali, arnis, escrima for knives and sticks, kobudo and finding it in the environment, silat footwork, nhb, vale tudo, evasive kungfu blocks, wing chun stop hits, the system type blending of JKD, aikido and judo reverse energy, competition MMA (which i'm sure has obvious street applications)....

i think there are somethings i am leaving out

Shuma-Gorath
11/29/2005 6:43pm,

I would recommend against letting people study this independently of their age.

kohainikyu
11/29/2005 6:44pm,
I would recommend against letting people study this independently of their age.

What does that mean

blargle
11/29/2005 6:45pm,
It's important to know that we don't do EVERYTHING from every style... what we take from a certain style may be as little as some foot work or a single manipulation or can be as vast as a series of techniques... etc.

Muay Thai bone conditioning...elbows knees and shins, BJJ takedowns and submissions, Police Tactics, firearms training, general karate studies, kali, arnis, escrima for knives and sticks, kobudo and finding it in the environment, silat footwork, nhb, vale tudo, evasive kungfu blocks, wing chun stop hits, the system type blending of JKD, aikido and judo reverse energy, competition MMA (which i'm sure has obvious street applications)....

i think there are somethings i am leaving out
Wow, that sounds really nice. I hope your instruction to the kids go well man.

kohainikyu
11/29/2005 6:46pm,
Wow, that sounds really nice. I hope your instruction to the kids go well man.

Thanks a ton. You can check it out at http://www.streetdefense.com . Don't worry I've gotten all the **** I can for that website on here. Fortunately, the critisizms were little.

Kengou
11/29/2005 6:56pm,
Muay Thai bone conditioning...elbows knees and shins, BJJ takedowns and submissions, Police Tactics, firearms training, general karate studies, kali, arnis, escrima for knives and sticks, kobudo and finding it in the environment, silat footwork, nhb, vale tudo, evasive kungfu blocks, wing chun stop hits, the system type blending of JKD, aikido and judo reverse energy, competition MMA (which i'm sure has obvious street applications).... Things I found humerous are bolded.

Basically, don't teach the kids firearms. And BJJ barely even has takedowns, anything it does have is from Judo or wrestling. And finally, MMA, NHB and Vale Tudo are all basically synonymous and none of them are a style, they are just a competition ruleset.

I won't necessarily criticize you or your style, as long as you guys spar (yes, even the kids), but only your description.

kohainikyu
11/29/2005 7:00pm,
Things I found humerous are bolded.

Basically, don't teach the kids firearms. And BJJ barely even has takedowns, anything it does have is from Judo or wrestling. And finally, MMA, NHB and Vale Tudo are all basically synonymous and none of them are a style, they are just a competition ruleset.

I won't necessarily criticize you or your style, as long as you guys spar (yes, even the kids), but only your description.

I described what we study. We're not going to teach kids how to shoot guns. When I say something like firearms you need to put it into perspective. Firearms training can be taught to children but in a way that it's called GUN SAFETY. As in, leave a gun if you see one and who to tell if you know a kid with one, etc.

I'll give you the BJJ thing. What I meant was we don't say OK we're going to do Judo takedowns now. We incorporate it into the BJJ training. So what's your point.

And as far as the MMA, NHB, and VT goes... I'm aware of the differences. we study them all. Did you have a question about it?

Kengou
11/29/2005 7:13pm,
When you say 'firearms training', it doesn't give the same connotation as 'gun safety'. Maybe it's just me. Gun safety, however, is quite appropriate for kids to learn.

And how do you "study" MMA, NHB and Vale Tudo? Again, they are rulesets, not styles. You could study Judo and Kyokushin and call it MMA, just as you could practice BJJ and Muay Thai and call it MMA. It's "MMA" in that you are training for a competition with certain rules, and you train to succeed under that ruleset.

Now, if you had said that you spar with NHB/Vale Tudo rules, then that would be fine. Although these are kids, so I'd probably stay away from that, at least for the younger kids.

Cassius
11/29/2005 7:48pm,
I suggest takedowns and groundwork for sure. Lets the kids go at it hard without a huge risk of injury.

The older kids could probably try some limited standup striking. I would probably avoid the armed aspect of your art.

OZZ
11/29/2005 8:01pm,
Children should NOT be doing body and bone conditioning.