PDA

View Full Version : Bullshido mathematics and putting things in perspective...

Pages : [1] 2

King Sleepless
11/24/2005 12:01am,
I was talking to a former student who went through the **** that I had to go through with our old TKD Sabunim, Master Chung Lee. I was thinking about how he was able to fool 250 students all at the same time. It was insane thinking about it. I'm glad I found bullshido, it rocks. But this lead me to start thinking about numbers. Numbers, numbers, numbers. It's very important. Numbers are empirical and math is for the most part, constant. So let's throw some numbers together.

This is all rough numbers though, not actually a 100% accurate representation. But bare with me here. Currently we have 11403 members here as of this writing who are being educated about bullshido. Let's just take TKD as our demography. The last number I heard from the USTU was that there were about 1 million people in TKD. So:

11403 x 100 = 1140300
1140300/1000000 = 1.14%

So that means if everyone here was in TKD, there would only be 1.14% of us who would be worth a ****. Is that not a concerning thought? I know it's not a 100% accurate, but that's not really the point.

I think that we need to make a bigger move to let people know the truth. Can we supplant this 1.14% ration to other MA's? Perhaps not, but I think that further research into it would still show low numbers. Maybe I should do a real study, taking into account many other variables and the **** that goes into doing a real census. Your thoughts?

Poop Loops
11/24/2005 12:04am,
http://www.math.montana.edu/frankw/ccp/multiworld/traveling/line-integrals/learn.htm

JohnnyCache
11/24/2005 12:06am,
Sirc that new topic button just has betty davis eyes doesn't it?

King Sleepless
11/24/2005 12:12am,
Blah blah blah

You guys get the point. I know it's not right, it's just a little perspectiveness. Brats.

Poop Loops
11/24/2005 12:15am,
One of my peeves is when people start talking about math and it turns out to be simple multiplication or something. Or whenever there is a TV show or movie that has something to do with math (laboratories, university class), they try to make it look complicated by throwing in a few square roots and parenthesis. Never mind the fact that it's still all numbers and therefore simple arithmetic.

Leonidas
11/24/2005 12:20am,
So that means if everyone here was in TKD, there would only be 1.14% of us who would be worth a ****. Is that not a concerning thought? I know it's not a 100% accurate, but that's not really the point.

Even though it doesnt take into account teaching/nationality/willingness to train, that seems to me to be actually pretty correct, given on the people I know who do TKD. (Which is about ten, one of whom is any good, even if its not really from the TKD.) Although thats only 10 people, so its not exactly comprehensive, though its good enough for me :P

TehDeadlyDimMak
11/24/2005 12:20am,
In my recent attempts to enlighten the world via challenge matches and arguments I've discovered many people actually know more than they let on.

MaverickZ
11/24/2005 12:41am,
One of my peeves is when people start talking about math and it turns out to be simple multiplication or something. Or whenever there is a TV show or movie that has something to do with math (laboratories, university class), they try to make it look complicated by throwing in a few square roots and parenthesis. Never mind the fact that it's still all numbers and therefore simple arithmetic.

triple integrals of imaginary numbers taken to logarithmic powers FTW!

Poop Loops
11/24/2005 12:54am,
...I understood the triple integral part! :)

Haven't gotten to imaginary numbers yet. Don't think I will until next year.

Poop Loops
11/24/2005 1:08am,
Not in integrals.

Torakaka
11/24/2005 1:32am,
I did that stuff like 3 years ago when I used to go to school. Now I've forgotten every last bit of that ****. I do remember that the disc method is very confusing and that related rates were fun.

Poop Loops
11/24/2005 1:37am,
Probably better that way. Doubtful you'll ever need to use it. We have these things called "computers" for when you do.

fanatical
11/24/2005 1:38am,
I don't get it.

Torakaka
11/24/2005 1:38am,
I hear it's useful for programming, which I will never do.

Poop Loops
11/24/2005 1:43am,
What's useful? Calculus? Calculus is damn near impossible to program. Remember Riemann sums? The things where you split the function into a bunch of rectangles and added them up? Well that's how computers do it, times like a billion.

Calculus is only useful for engineers and the like who need to know how they got the number and if it's right.

It's kind of like running in PE. Do you ever run in real life? Hell no. Is it useful to know how to run as a human being? Yes.

JohnnyCache
11/24/2005 3:02am,
You don't run in real life PL?

Two words for you man: Married. Girls.