PDA

View Full Version : BJJ vs. weapons?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Hiji kime
4/13/2003 10:56am,
How does BJJ address the threat of armed attacks? How do they teach knife defenses? Are defenses against weapons part of the standard training curriculum?

Blad3
4/13/2003 11:07am,
it doesn't really, some clubs may do, but it's really a sport martial art, you'll do minimal or no weapons self defence. No martial art will necessarily do well against a weapon unless you just KO some1.

Are defenses against weapons part of the standard training curriculum? Definitely not.

You can see a Rickson and Royler Gracie demonstration in one of the Pride's (PrideFC 5), they show knife and bat/club self defences - pretty standard blocking, but then they grapple/wrestle (from standing) instead of punching, keeping the person close, then they disarm the knife. Nothing very good, except the grappling element is kind of original.

=====
Pride25: Bas Rutten:He always, when he sits down and watches TV, puts his hand, actually both hands, in his pants.Fight Professor:It's a very comfortable position actually.BasRutten:I never tried it.FightProfessor:*ahem*, no comment.

Edited by - Blade Windu on April 13 2003 11:37:20

Das Moose
4/13/2003 11:56am,
Surely escrima/kali/silat would be a good anti-weapon art? I've seen some escrima and i know the basics... looks to be the most competent weapon art.

I own two rattan sticks... I pity anyone who tries to break into my house without a projectile weapon.

[Das Moose]

Chum Sut Total Fighting - www.chumsut.com

Deadpan Scientist
4/13/2003 12:09pm,
Blade: standing grappling for weapon disarms is original?

MMA_Phil
4/13/2003 12:59pm,
BJJ doesn't really deal with weapons, but what does (effectively)? Are there really any high percentage techniques for empty hand vs knife?
Some people say ignore the man and go for the weapon (as the weapon is the most dangerous thing), others say ignore the weapon and fight the man (so you stay aware of all of their weapons). I've heard that you shouldn't go for grabbing the weapon arm because they can pull it back and destroy your hands, but I've also read that most people whom survived knife attacks did so by securing the assailant's knife arm.
IMHO most of the weapon stuff people teach is irrelevent anyway, with the adrenaline flying you'll probably just do whatever you do; logic and decision making would go out the window to a large extent.
I think the best defence is to be aware and pre-emptive.

Vapour
4/13/2003 1:13pm,
Aikido place significant part of training in defence against knife and sword. Also, judo has collection of katas which deal with knife and sword attack thought only kodokan instructor would train this.
Other than that, any knife arts would be good. If you know how it is used in attack, you have better chance of defending against it.

As of BJJ, I'm not saying "BJJ=Basically Just Judo - Asia" but clip from their self defence video is very similar to Judo kata.

Edited by - vapour on April 13 2003 13:26:48

PizDoff
4/13/2003 1:14pm,
"it's really a sport martial art"

Hey Osiris! Quick it's a street fight!! Take him to the ground!!! Don't worry, no one can stomp you!! Arm bar him, he taps, you get off him and victory pose your way to success!!! YES!!!

--
Hard work, Patience, Dedication.
The more you sweat in training, the less you bleed later.
"Just one more........rep!!! ARGH!!!" *Collapses*

Vapour
4/13/2003 1:21pm,
Here is the web page.

http://www.gracieacademy.com/store/videos.html

Basically all aikido/judo techniques IMO. But BJJ originated from judo/jujitu so nothing wrong with that.

Edited by - vapour on April 13 2003 13:25:56

PizDoff
4/13/2003 1:26pm,
wow, i wish i had several thousand to spend on those tapes

btw the street stuff is near the bottom
3/4 way down

--

Blad3
4/13/2003 1:32pm,
So if I break your arm for making a dumbass statement then its a game? lol. No martial art does to well against weapons. If you want to fight people with weapons, carry one. Or shank'em with whatevers available. Lol Osiris, you have to know me - I think sport martial art are a GOOD thing, and you;re correct about the weapons. Pizdoff he wasn't really flaming me, he just didn't understand my statement, and rightly so.

=====
Pride25: Bas Rutten:He always, when he sits down and watches TV, puts his hand, actually both hands, in his pants.Fight Professor:It's a very comfortable position actually.BasRutten:I never tried it.FightProfessor:*ahem*, no comment.

PizDoff
4/13/2003 1:37pm,
hahahaha

Groundfighting is the way to go in the ring.

Rolling on "street"=bad.

--

Blad3
4/13/2003 1:41pm,
"Blade: standing grappling for weapon disarms is original?" they way they were doing it use, and you don't generally grapple from what I;ve seen, with a kinfe person in TMAs - usually a wrist "grab" then a few strikes, and maybe a quick takedown. No holind on like they did.

=====

Gezere
4/13/2003 2:48pm,
The BJJ=Basicly Just Judo thing is catching on I need ot TM (since I wasn't the first to come up with it but it I get copyrighted first I win!)it and market it on a T-shirt!!! I'll be rich!!!

I been looking at alot go GJJ SD against knife and gun and then I opened "Kata of Kodokan Judo Revides" (1970) and they look almost exactly alike. (one was exactly alike except the chick looked better than Royce, he would have looked better if he starts shaving his legs)

______
Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invinsible Asia) Emporer of Baji!!!
THE TRUE FIST OF THE NORTHSTAR!!
http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/2657/hyaku.gif

deus ex machina
4/13/2003 3:01pm,
No martial art will necessarily do well against a weapon unless you just KO some1.

BJJ doesn't really deal with weapons, but what does (effectively)?

WHAT THE **** IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE!?
Hasn't anyone hear heard of Filipino Martial Arts? Indonesian Martial Arts? Pretty much all the islands in that general vicinity Martial Arts? Sayoc Kali? Atienza Kali? Inosanto Martial Arts?

You BJJ fanboys are a bunch of dumbfucks. That's it, period. I didnt' want to say it before, but now I know it's true.

~
my name is daniel jo

Das Moose
4/13/2003 3:21pm,
I mentioned FMA, deus ex....

[Das Moose]

Chum Sut Total Fighting - www.chumsut.com

Deadpan Scientist
4/13/2003 3:30pm,
He was referring to the now infamous Blade Windu