PDA

View Full Version : I want to be a ninja...

Chunkysushi
11/16/2005 12:54pm,
Edit previous title :) sorry for the lack of respect. (I know very little about MA, so figured maybe someone could take a look if they are bored)

http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/lss/111662416.html

Ninjutsu Training / FREE TRIAL CLASS This Friday

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply to: [email protected]
Date: 2005-11-16, 12:14PM EST

The martial art taught by the Bujinkan Dojo is called Budo Taijutsu. This complete Japanese art draws together elements of nine ancient schools of classical Japanese martial culture, known as ryuha, together into a single study. The modern system was created by the current Soke (inheritor) of these schools, Masaaki Hatsumi Sensei.

The schools taught under the banner of the Bujinkan Dojo are:

Togakure Ryu Ninpo
Koto Ryu Koppojutsu
Gyokko Ryu Koshijutsu
Kukishinden Happo Biken
Takagi Yoshin Ryu Jutaijutsu
Kumogakure Ryu Ninpo Happo Biken
Gyokushin Ryu Ninpo Happo Biken
Shinden Fudo Ryu Dakentaijutsu
Gikan Ryu Koppojutsu

These arts are taught together as the martial art of Budo Taijutsu. The modern curriculum includes multiple fighting skills including punching, kicking, throwing, limb restraints, rolling and breakfalling. Also studied are weapons skills including kenjutsu (long and short Japanese swords), Bojutsu (6 foot, 4 foot and 3 foot staff) and more. All students of the Bujinkan Dojo receives an annual membership card for set fee.

Email for any additional info:

this is in or around 440 Layafette St.

no -- it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

VikingPower
11/16/2005 1:01pm,
Just sounds like a Bujinkan school to me. What's your problem with it? Have you seen any classes, videos, or pics of it?

Chunkysushi
11/16/2005 1:23pm,
No probs here. Saw it posted on Craigslist and since it's in NYC bound to get some visitors. From looking at previous posts, it seems like people on this board have a preference to weeding out good TKD/Ninjitsu/Aikido/Wing Chun schools from the bad ones (I guess the most popular ones sometimes get more of the less qualified instructors).

Nothing against Ninjitsu, but if it's anything like TKD schools in NYC (there are tons) maybe it would warrant a look by someone qualified.

Reading my post, it sounds like I'm knocking it... apologies for that.

BudoBuyu
11/16/2005 1:31pm,
I would think nobody here is more critical of Bujinkan Schools than the Taijutsu guys here.

The only thing that really screams "ninjer" is the whole "Ninja Training" thing. But, in their defense, it's a good way to get students when you're starting out. Hook with the ninja bullshit, then keep them with the 6 ryu-ha that don't even have anything to do with ninja!

Bujinkan schools are hit or miss really. You have to personally go down to see how they train. Do they spar? Do they encourage randori? Do they focus on the 3 Ninja ryu-ha or the 6 Samurai families? Sit down at watch a class. Do they train hard? Do they train with resistance? Does the instructor make the techniques applicable to real life?

These are only a few things you need to watch for. Some are notoriously bad in the Bujinkan schools, namely sparring and resistance. The best advice I can give you it to watch it and make your own conclusion.

Looks like a legit Bujinkan school to me though.

MONGO
11/16/2005 7:53pm,
If you plan on being in NY for a while, I suggest you go to Jeff Christian's School. He's a good guy and he is well thought of within the BJK organization. The guys that train at his school are pretty good and he has a good concept of martial arts (a rarity in the BJK).

Spunky
11/16/2005 10:50pm,
My teacher has gone out to train with Jeff a couple times I believe, they sound like a great group. Hope I get a chance to make a visit myself. Pretty much everyone I know who started under Kevin Schneider and/or Larry Turner are some of the most level-headed and respectable Buj practitioneers IMO.