PDA

View Full Version : Just found out - i have to compete TOMORROW!

Pages : [1] 2 3

top dachi
11/11/2005 10:31am,
okay - i heard about the tournament last week, and had no plans on competing. Well, last night in class, sensei calls me up to see kata. i told her the only reason i was going to the tournament was becuz my 9 yr old wants to kumite. Sensei says, we are getting out of doing the community tournaments, but i am required to do this one because it is a regional qualifier for a national event!!!! :help:
i have been training, but i would prefer to feel a little more comfortable. i know a martial artist is supposed to always be ready but still. . . . .
any words of advice or encouragement would be appreciated!!

It is in Columbus, if anyone is near. I can't find the link but it is sponsored by After-School All Stars - (they have adult competition too)

Mr. Mantis
11/11/2005 10:39am,
Slightly off topic - you should check out this thread: http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=27315

WhiteShark
11/11/2005 10:43am,
Give us more details. What kind of tournament? How ready are you? What is it a qualifier for( be specific)?

top dachi
11/11/2005 11:12am,
sorry - i dont have all the details
all i know is - saturday the 12th at J. Ashburn Youth Center, 65 Clarendon Avenue, Columbus, Ohio 43223. It is on the westside of Columbus. registration from 8-10 a.m., tournament expected to go until 6pm. $35 reg fee at the door
$5 admission
I guess this is something being put on by Ernie Reyes, Jr. I keep trying to bring up the website www.columbusasas.org - but something is wrong. After School All Stars, then you have to check out Columbus site. From what i can tell, Ernie Reyes, Jr. is doing some martial arts reality show. It says media coverage on flyer - but i am not clear if they are taping for the show or what. forms, breaking and kumite & a few demonstrations.
Will post again after i get more info.

I have been working out a little, but not officially tournament training. We sparred in class last week & i am fairly confident. But, i am a little person (5'3" about 110 lbs) so i always get nervous, not knowing if some Big Girls will be there you know? I am pretty quick. But like i said, haven't been tournament training & we all get a little nervous, dont we????? :icon_pale

WhiteShark
11/11/2005 11:35am,
lol thanks for the "details" but what I meant was: "What kind of rules? What weightclasses? What belt classes?" Stuff like that. The location is not so important to me.

Don't worry about it in general a good coach won't put you in a helpless situation. If she said you can do it you probably can you just need to unlock that potential in yourself.

warnerj5000
11/11/2005 11:47am,
If it's something that a lack of preparation could possibly get you seriously injured (like a NHB match) then I'd recommend refusing to participate.

Other than that, just go, do your best, and if you do well, then great.
If you don't, blame it on the lack of preparation :]

top dachi
11/11/2005 11:49am,
the dang link won't work, nobody's answering the phone, flyer is at home ERRGGHH
from what i recall, i didn't see any weightclass divisions - so, you see my concern for the big girls ;)
just - beginning, intermediate, advanced & blackbelt divisions
age brackets where male/female compete in younger ages then from age 13 up was divided by gender
no hitting to the face, back or below belt
everything is one point
one warning for illegal strike - then disqualified - - blood, immediate disqualification
if its anything different than that - i'll post after 3:30 when my dawta gets home & i can have her read it

okay, so since its so early - any suggestions for breakfast guys?? i try to do oatmeal or something real filling, pretty much a vegetarian - -what should i take for snack? i don't eat those hotdogs & **** food they always sell - - i've competed in arnold schwarzanegger's world tournament here (& got gold) but never anything for a national qualifier - -
damn, can you tell i'm nervous &
WhiteShark you are right - she wouldn't expect me to do it if she had any doubt at all - i am just doubting myself & i KNOW better than to be doing that

patfromlogan
11/11/2005 11:50am,
OSU! OSU!

Grashnak
11/11/2005 11:52am,
Since it doesn't sound like the kind of tourney where you are likely to have an appendage ripped off, I'd say just go out, do your best, and have fun.

Its not like anyone can have any expectations for you when you had no time to prepare, so just relax and enjoy.

top dachi
11/11/2005 11:52am,
If it's something that a lack of preparation could possibly get you seriously injured (like a NHB match) then I'd recommend refusing to participate.

Other than that, just go, do your best, and if you do well, then great.
If you don't, blame it on the lack of preparation :]

refusing to participate is NOT an option - if she says so, then it goes so - -
she already gave me my registration money cuz she knows i'm broke right now - -
sorry, what is NHB?
i did fine when we sparred last week & good on the heavy bag last night
i guess it is just the mental preparation & the fact that i don't do tournaments much - - altho it is my dream :ninja2:

BackFistMonkey
11/11/2005 11:57am,
cool do what you can you will come out ok .

top dachi
11/11/2005 12:03pm,
After-School All-Stars Columbus
For Immediate release. Please announce the following After-School All-Stars Event:
The After-School All-Starís Martial Arts Tournament will be held Saturday, November 12, from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. The J. Ashburn Recreation Center.123 North Central Avenue. We are forming a national martial arts organization to be headquarter in Central Ohio.
The event on November 12th will target Karate and Taekwondo, we are looking for martial arts leaders to head up the disciplines. For more information, please call Greg Fears at (614) 326.2872 or myself at Columbus After-School All-Stars at (614) 257-1678.
Thank you for your help in spreading the word to those in need and those who can help!
Sincerely,
Daryl K. Lee, Executive Director

This is what my sensei sent me along with the flyer, but it doesn't show rules/weight divisions etc
how can i post the flyer?

warnerj5000
11/11/2005 12:06pm,
refusing to participate is NOT an option - if she says so, then it goes so - -
she already gave me my registration money cuz she knows i'm broke right now - -
sorry, what is NHB?
i did fine when we sparred last week & good on the heavy bag last night
i guess it is just the mental preparation & the fact that i don't do tournaments much - - altho it is my dream :ninja2:

NHB = no holds barred. Not that anything actually is truly NHB anymore, but it's not the kind of thing you'd want to walk into unprepared.

Not participating is always an option.. it might piss everyone off, but if you were seriously concerned about your health & well being (which it doesn't sound like it will be an issue here) then it's an option.

warnerj5000
11/11/2005 12:07pm,
- - blood, immediate disqualification

Who gets disqualified, the person bleeding or the person who drew blood?

AikidoDeadlines
11/11/2005 12:12pm,
Also, how old are you? If your an adult, you might be interested in attending a throwdown that I we are trying to get organized in Cleveland, probably in early december. It should be a fun time.

top dachi
11/11/2005 12:13pm,
Who gets disqualified, the person bleeding or the person who drew blood?

HAHAHAHA - i would guess the one who drew the blood, but maybe both should be - where oh, where is your block???