PDA

View Full Version : Hasim Rahman named new WBC Heavyweight Champ

QuickJab
11/10/2005 11:04am,
Rahman: It's a New Day!
by Andre Courtemanche
Hasim “The Rock” Rahman is in a good mood. Formerly the Interim WBC Heavyweight Champion, today’s announcement of Vitali Klitschko’s retirement means Rahman, 41-5-1(33 KOs), is now the full-fledged king. “Being champ was so nice, I had to do it twice and this time, I’ll be here for more than a minute. I feel like I’m back and I’m here to stay and I’m going to get some defenses in this time. Whoever steps up will get knocked down,” growls the happy slugger. While Rahman says he would have rather won the title in the ring, he feels that today’s announcement will bring a new day to heavyweight boxing. “I feel like all in all it was the honorable thing to do. He held me up for a year, postponed the fight several times. This will be good for the heavyweight division because now we can go ahead and put some lucrative fights together instead of somebody milking the title and holding onto it. I wanted to fight him. I could have fought any of the champs, but I picked him. I knew I could beat him.” Rahman says he has no preferred opponent for his first defense, but would welcome a chance to unify. “I’m going to be a credible champion. Rahman vs. (WBO Champ Lamon) Brewster would be sensational, (IBF Champ) Chris Byrd, James Toney. I wouldn’t mind another fight with (WBA Champ) John Ruiz. There are some good fights out there for me. If Don King can package a tournament correctly, it‘ll be good for the sport of boxing. A heavyweight tournament would absolutely be something I’d be interested in. I want there to be one champion. There’s only one world!” And if Dr. Klitschko ever decided to come back? “If he came back, I’d fight him in a heartbeat. He probably won’t want to fight me first fight when he comes back, but I’ll fight him whenever he is ready.”
Wednesday, November 9 2005

FIGHTNEWS.COM

Cassius
11/10/2005 4:36pm,
Rahman as the new champ? I thought this might happen, but I was hoping otherwise.

The heavyweight division was never my favorite, but this is just pathetic.

Odacon
11/10/2005 6:22pm,
I hear that Irish guy (I should know him since I'm Irish) the beat what was left of Tyson will be in line for a shot next. Boxing's present condition makes me sad. :(