PDA

View Full Version : CIA has secret prisons !

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Ronin
11/02/2005 4:06pm,
http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/World/2005/11/02/1289444-ap.html

eport: CIA running secret prisons

NEW YORK (AP) — The CIA has been hiding and interrogating some of its most important al Qaeda captives at a compound in Eastern Europe, U.S. and foreign officials familiar with the arrangement said, the Washington Post reported.

The secret facility is part of a covert prison system set up by the CIA nearly four years ago that at various times has included sites in eight countries, including Thailand, Afghanistan and several countries in Eastern Europe, as well as a small centre at the Guantanamo Bay prison in U.S.-occupied Cuba, current and former intelligence officials and diplomats from three continents said, the paper reported Tuesday on its website.

The hidden global internment network is a central element in the CIA’s war on terrorism, the Post said. It depends on the co-operation of foreign intelligence services and on keeping even basic information about the system secret from the public, foreign officials and nearly all members of Congress charged with overseeing the CIA’s covert actions.

The existence and locations of the facilities — referred to as “black sites” in classified White House, CIA, U.S. Justice Department and congressional documents — are known to only a handful of officials in the United States and, usually, only to the president and a few top intelligence officers in each host country, it said.

The CIA and the White House, citing national security concerns and the value of the program, have dissuaded Congress from demanding the agency answer questions in open testimony about the conditions under which captives are held. Virtually nothing is known about who is kept in the facilities, what interrogation methods are employed with them, or how decisions are made about whether they should be detained or for how long.

While the U.S. Defence Department has produced volumes of public reports and testimony about its detention practices and rules after the abuse scandals at Iraq’s Abu Ghraib prison and at Guantanamo Bay, the CIA has not even acknowledged the existence of its black sites. To do so, officials familiar with the program told the Post, could open the U.S. government to legal challenges, particularly in foreign courts and increase the risk of political condemnation at home and abroad.

But the revelations of widespread prisoner abuse in Afghanistan and Iraq by the U.S. military — which operates under published rules and transparent oversight of Congress — have increased concern among legislators, foreign governments and human rights groups about the opaque CIA system. Those concerns escalated last month, when U.S. Vice-President Cheney and CIA Director Porter Goss asked Congress to exempt CIA employees from legislation already endorsed by 90 senators that would bar cruel and degrading treatment of any prisoner in U.S. custody.

Although the CIA will not acknowledge details of its system, intelligence officials defend the agency’s approach, arguing the successful defence of the United States requires the agency be empowered to hold and interrogate suspected terrorists for as long as necessary and without restrictions imposed by the U.S. legal system or even by the military tribunals established for prisoners held at Guantanamo Bay.

The Washington Post said it is not publishing the names of the Eastern European countries involved in the covert program, at the request of senior U.S. officials. They argued the disclosure might disrupt counter-terrorism efforts in those countries and elsewhere and could make them targets of possible terrorist retaliation.

The secret detention system was conceived in first months after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks on the United States, when the working assumption was a second strike was imminent.

Since then, the arrangement has been increasingly debated within the CIA, where considerable concern lingers about the legality, morality and practicality of holding even unrepentant terrorists in such isolation and secrecy, perhaps for the duration of their lives. Mid-level and senior CIA officers began arguing two years ago the system was unsustainable and diverted the agency from its unique espionage mission, the Post said.

All I can say is : WELL DUH !!!

Zendetta
11/02/2005 4:07pm,
When bombs start going of, just remember:

They hate our Freedom.

kungfujew
11/02/2005 4:13pm,
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/175/249/1600/orly.jpg

http://media.urbandictionary.com/image/large/yarly-34109.jpg

I believe this is one of those "Shocked, SHOCKED to find TORTURE in this establishment!" sitch-ee-ations.

http://www.getreligion.org/wp-content/photos/CasablancaRenaultRick_thumb.jpg

"Your cattleprod, sir." "Oh, why thank you"

Leodom
11/02/2005 4:21pm,
Where's the special counsel? Where are the indictments? Someone should be held accountable for this egregious leak of CIA classified information. CIA operatives are now in danger because of this act of treason!!!

Ronin
11/02/2005 4:23pm,
Don't worry too much about that, if the movies have taught us anything its that Black Ops operatives are one-man-armies.

kungfujew
11/02/2005 4:26pm,
Where's the special counsel? Where are the indictments? Someone should be held accountable for this egregious leak of CIA classified information. CIA operatives are now in danger because of this act of treason!!!

Supporting Bush without thought or question is like running in the special olympics: Even if you win, you're still a tard.
http://pics.inethouston.net/darktyler/arguing.gif

Leodom
11/02/2005 4:29pm,
Supporting Bush without thought or question is like running in the special olympics: Even if you win, you're still a tard.
http://pics.inethouston.net/darktyler/arguing.gif

Have you got any original thoughts in that head or are they all recycled, knee jerk, liberal pap?

PS: I appreciate funny, biting commentary, even against me. That wasn't funny.

kungfujew
11/02/2005 4:35pm,
Have you got any original thoughts in that head or are they all recycled, knee jerk, liberal pap?

PS: I appreciate funny, biting commentary, even against me. That wasn't funny.

When dealing with a receptive, thoughtful audience; yes.
For you my friend I only save the choicest cuts of knee-jerk liberal pap.

kungfujew
11/02/2005 4:36pm,
BTW, can anyone explain to me exactly what pap is? Last I heard the word it was associated with "pap-smear", and if that is so; you sir are disgusting.

kungfujew
11/02/2005 4:41pm,
http://images.ucomics.com/comics/trall/2005/trall050402.gif

warnerj5000
11/02/2005 5:02pm,

Were the exact locations of these areas and a list of the agents working at them released to the press in order to get revenge on a political enemy?

no?

Leodom
11/02/2005 5:15pm,
Were the exact locations of these areas and a list of the agents working at them released to the press in order to get revenge on a political enemy?

no?

How do you know? Bush is considered the political enemy of many people, including some in the CIA. If this reflects badly on him or his administration, it could very well have been leaked to the press in order to get revenge on a political enemy.

BTW, I do not support the contention that Scooter Libby (or anyone else) "leaked" Valerie Plame's name as "revenge". Apparently neither does the special prosecutor.
[/thread hijack]

Peter H.
11/02/2005 5:19pm,
CIA has secret prisons? Really? For four years now? What happened to the secret prisons and facilities circa 1950-2001? Did we get rid of them, I didn't get the memo.

Phrost
11/02/2005 5:27pm,
Anyone who watches 24 could have told you that...

Ronin
11/02/2005 5:27pm,
CIA has secret prisons? Really? For four years now? What happened to the secret prisons and facilities circa 1950-2001? Did we get rid of them, I didn't get the memo.

Those were changed to the following:
Secret prisons A1 - B5 = Chinese take out
Secret Prisons C1 - D4 = dry cleaners
Seceret prisons E1 - F5 = Massage parlours.

The remaing were used as campaign offices for the last elections.

I would have sworn I sent you the memo, it was with the list of Top 10 Persian Women that give good falafeel.

You must have gotten that.

warnerj5000
11/02/2005 5:34pm,
How do you know? Bush is considered the political enemy of many people, including some in the CIA. If this reflects badly on him or his administration, it could very well have been leaked to the press in order to get revenge on a political enemy.

BTW, I do not support the contention that Scooter Libby (or anyone else) "leaked" Valerie Plame's name as "revenge". Apparently neither does the special prosecutor.
[/thread hijack]

I'm saying, this could have been intentionally leaked to damage Bush's credibility, sure. It could have been leaked as revenge for the Plame incident.
But the details that have been leaked are very vague. It's not specific details about locations, identities, etc.

BTW-
No one thinks Scooter Libby is the source of the leak. Scooter Libby is just accused of lying about it to protect someone. Rumor has it that it's Dick Cheney who was the source of the leak. But time will tell.