PDA

View Full Version : New to Bullshido and a question..

Pages : [1] 2

Gorgo
11/02/2005 2:27pm,
I found this board and just love browsing the posts for the awesome info that's in here.

My question is this. I've enrolled in a self defense class and last night was my first session. Shouldn't one of the first things that was taught was how to break a fall? I took a few Judo lessons when I was 10 and the two things that have always stuck with me was the Judo Roll and the practice of breaking a fall. I was the lowest skilled person there and not one time did anyone practice a fall technique or roll of any sort. I'm starting to think I made a mistake but there are few MA schools up in Northwestern California, unless they are hiding somewhere and I can't find them in the phone book.

Thanks for any insight you can give me.

Fantasy Warrior
11/02/2005 2:29pm,
IMO no, just because you didn't practice falls does not automatically make it wrong. breakfalls are Ok, but they are no measure of SD transferability.

Is it a martial art or just self-defence?

WhiteShark
11/02/2005 2:31pm,
I never practiced falling in my Muay Thai classes either...

Darkpaladin
11/02/2005 2:35pm,
To flame or not to flame, that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous trolling,
Or to take arms against a sea of N00bz,
And by opposing end them? To die: to sleep;
No more...

In my mind a "self defense" class should cover at least a little bit of everything. At some point they should have breakfalls. If they don't, buy a judo book.

Gorgo
11/02/2005 2:39pm,
You know at first I thought it was just a self defense class as a sub part of a Kung Fu academy. But he has me doing stuff that the rest of his his Kung Fu students are doing. I'm doing the Monkey stuff right now. And it's the basic turn your wrist stuff to get someone to let go of you. I did get to pop my training partner in the face a couple times with a jab as he was trying to practice blocking punches. The instructor told me to slow down after the other student couldn't block them. I felt sorry for him.

Darkpaladin
11/02/2005 2:47pm,
That's in BJJ too, but we'd rather just turn each other into pretzels than escape our wrists through the thumb and forefinger.

When I hear an animal style, my bullshidometer goes up a notch.

Luspher
11/02/2005 2:49pm,
You know at first I thought it was just a self defense class as a sub part of a Kung Fu academy. But he has me doing stuff that the rest of his his Kung Fu students are doing. I'm doing the Monkey stuff right now. And it's the basic turn your wrist stuff to get someone to let go of you. I did get to pop my training partner in the face a couple times with a jab as he was trying to practice blocking punches. The instructor told me to slow down after the other student couldn't block them. I felt sorry for him.

IMO that's the best way to learn to block. That's how I learned. When I used to study TKD I would scream at the white belts to him me in the face. If you can't block when under the risk of getting hit it's a useless skill. But there is a limit. If it was the first time they were learning the movement they may need some time to get it down. ESP if their coordination sucks. I will say that though breakfalls are not neccessary to self defense it would be a good idea to work on them. If you get knocked on your butt when in a fight it would be a nice skill to make it not end up an an injury. Besides it's just a good skill to have. I've had family members bit the dust and break bones from falling in a poor fashion (landing on their palms). I'd judge the school by seeing if their technique works. Test it in a tough situation. Better yet put it on the instructor and see if he can get out. Your inability would be due to not knowing the technique, whereas his would be due to the fact that the technique doesn't work, or he's teaching something he does not understand. Either way it's a red alert to find somewhere else to train. Good luck!

Kengou
11/02/2005 3:03pm,
My bjj class doesn't do breakfalls. It must be no good then. I'll go train in the monkey style.

Torakaka
11/02/2005 3:13pm,
I never practiced falling in my Muay Thai classes either...

I have

Gorgo
11/02/2005 3:49pm,
Here is another choice I have.

http://www.attikai.com/northcoastselfdefense/index.html

The instructor seems to have hung out with the Gracies.

Not sure if they do much sparring which is kinda what I want. I would like to know if what I am learning would actually work.

Kengou
11/02/2005 3:52pm,
It's BJJ. So they "spar".

Cassius
11/02/2005 3:53pm,
My bjj class doesn't do breakfalls. It must be no good then. I'll go train in the monkey style.It really doesn't? Do you guys not do much stand-up then?

G.R. Bug
11/02/2005 4:32pm,
My question is this. I've enrolled in a self defense class and last night was my first session. Shouldn't one of the first things that was taught was how to break a fall? I took a few Judo lessons when I was 10 and the two things that have always stuck with me was the Judo Roll and the practice of breaking a fall. I was the lowest skilled person there and not one time did anyone practice a fall technique or roll of any sort.

If students are going to be working on any sort of throws or takedowns, I would sure as heck hope they'd learn appropriate ukemi technique first.

Unfortunately, I know from experience that doesn't always happen. In two of the three karate styles I practiced, we occasionally did wristlock takedowns, and there was no ukemi training at all. Luckily for me, I'd done a lot of ukemi in the first karate style I ever studied (which had some basic judo thrown into the mix).

Anyhoo, if your instructor starts teaching anything that requires a good understanding of how to fall or roll, and you don't feel like you're ready to do that, my advice is, politely refuse to take part in that training. And explain why -- "I'm afraid I'm going to fall wrong and get injured." That's not being a wimp, that's being smart -- I have an old separated shoulder that will attest to the dangers of taking falls you haven't trained for.

Good luck.

Phrost
11/02/2005 5:25pm,
Just a FYI: you don't need to introduce yourself, just jump right in. This is especially important since threads are sometimes indexed by their titles and it would have been better to label it as "Question About a Northern California Judo School" or something to that effect.

BackFistMonkey
11/02/2005 5:30pm,
I have

good I wont feel so bad ....

:pancakebu

Ronin
11/02/2005 5:53pm,
FYI:
Never introduce yourself, ever.
No one cares.
If you think about making a thread, write the idea down on paper, roll it up into a little ball and shove it up your ass.
If you think its original, its not, go kill yourself.
If you think you have something to contribute, you don't, unless you have a good looking sister who gives great Tatami.

Otherwise.

**** THE **** UP !!!

Welcome to Bullshido, for however brief your stay may be, remember, its already too long for the rest of us.

:)