PDA

View Full Version : Why Does God Hate Amputees

Pages : [1] 2

Bang!
10/30/2005 2:10pm,
A fairly exhaustive logical treatise against the same sort of religiously-oriented pap that regularly spawns discussion here has been put together by Marshall Brain, founder of How Stuff Works. Have a look-see.

http://whydoesgodhateamputees.com/god1.htm

Not big on fancy book lernin'? How about Bullshido-style challenges?

http://whydoesgodhateamputees.com/god-challenge.htm

TrueSeeker
10/30/2005 2:24pm,
oooohkay..how can there still be people alive today who take the bible as fact?

Cullion
10/30/2005 2:25pm,
A fairly exhaustive logical treatise against the same sort of religiously-oriented pap that regularly spawns discussion here has been put together by Marshall Brain, founder of How Stuff Works. Have a look-see.

http://whydoesgodhateamputees.com/god1.htm

I read the first story about the classroom shooting. I'm not religious.

The whole thing about 'why didn't God avert this or that death or accident' is based on the whiney premise that God would definitely be interested in the elimination of human suffering, and the fact he didn't do it is somehow proof that God doesn't exist. ****, you might as well say that the fact I still have to make mortgage payments is enough proof that God doesn't exist.

That's a whining ***** approach to metaphysics if ever I heard one.

Nowhere is such a 'god of making life safe and easy' presented in the Bible. Sure, god saves people with fine special effects like magic food from the sky when he has a plan for them to found a nation whose armies will march forth smiting Canaanites, but it isn't generally part of the deal.

Perhaps god sent the guy with a gun as a test. That would certainly fit with plenty of simillar awesome **** that's in the Bible.
Perhaps the teacher and the kids who who prayed and got shot are in heaven now, and the little heathen who denied his glory will fry in Gehenna when his time comes ?

Ever think 'bout that college boy ?

Cullion
10/30/2005 2:26pm,
oooohkay..how can there still be people alive today who take the bible as fact?

Oh yes. And more besides. So much more. Ever met a Mormon ?

TrueSeeker
10/30/2005 2:33pm,
no..but my front door has net plenty of jehovas witnesses..GET THE **** OUT OF MY GARDEN! :qleft3:

TrueSeeker
10/30/2005 2:35pm,
Although, im fairly sure mormons believe some even more ridiculous crap. Is this correct?

Bang!
10/30/2005 3:22pm,
I read the first story about the classroom shooting. I'm not religious.

The whole thing about 'why didn't God avert this or that death or accident' is based on the whiney premise that God would definitely be interested in the elimination of human suffering, and the fact he didn't do it is somehow proof that God doesn't exist. ****, you might as well say that the fact I still have to make mortgage payments is enough proof that God doesn't exist.

That's a whining ***** approach to metaphysics if ever I heard one.

Nowhere is such a 'god of making life safe and easy' presented in the Bible. Sure, god saves people with fine special effects like magic food from the sky when he has a plan for them to found a nation whose armies will march forth smiting Canaanites, but it isn't generally part of the deal.

Perhaps god sent the guy with a gun as a test. That would certainly fit with plenty of simillar awesome **** that's in the Bible.
Perhaps the teacher and the kids who who prayed and got shot are in heaven now, and the little heathen who denied his glory will fry in Gehenna when his time comes ?

Ever think 'bout that college boy ?Hmm. I viewed it as more of a tyrade against fundamentalism than against belief in God. All I know is that -- to paraphrase Curtis Mayfield -- if there's a hell below, then my ass is going to go. I can take a peek who's down there then and get back to you.

BackFistMonkey
10/30/2005 4:05pm,
Although, im fairly sure mormons believe some even more ridiculous crap. Is this correct?
man ... Trey and Matt made a freaking South Park episode out of it complete with magic hats and rocks ... ... without changing any of the mythology ... although it is more believe able than a virgin birth and God sending in a flock of angry she-bears to kill the village kids becouse they cracked on a bald man who God just happend to like more than innocent witty children .

Cullion
10/30/2005 5:01pm,
Hmm. I viewed it as more of a tyrade against fundamentalism than against belief in God. All I know is that -- to paraphrase Curtis Mayfield -- if there's a hell below, then my ass is going to go. I can take a peek who's down there then and get back to you.

My post was 80% tongue in cheek. I'm an agnostic raised in a culture much more agnostic/atheistic than North America (the UK). I just like playing devil's advocate to stimulate the debate. I don't go to church.

The 20% I was serious about was the bit where I pointed out that it's unfair to attack 'fundamentalist' judeo-christian belief on the grounds that it doesn't work on the assumption that a divine creator cares about the safety or comfort of any individuals in this life for it's own sake. The Bible doesn't claim that, anywhere.

So attacks along that line fit into the 'waah, waah, god isn't fair' school of theology, don't they ?

It's going to take more than that to demonstrate a flaw in fundamentalism. I'm just trying to make humanism do situps.

Thaiboxerken
10/30/2005 5:05pm,
Pointing out the absurdities, contradictions and "evil nature of God" in the bible doesn't seem to bother christians, they will believe what they've been taught. It doesn't really matter what the bible says.

TheManchu
10/30/2005 5:09pm,
Fundamentalists constantly believe that God destroys whole cities because of sin, and kill soldiers because of their nation's sins, et al. This is pretty much the same as saying living well equals God's protection. That's why fundamentalists follow God: because of personal gain in this life.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
10/30/2005 5:18pm,
Does anyone else think God is a pretty lame deity?

Cullion
10/30/2005 5:34pm,
Fundamentalists constantly believe that God destroys whole cities because of sin, and kill soldiers because of their nation's sins, et al. This is pretty much the same as saying living well equals God's protection. That's why fundamentalists follow God: because of personal gain in this life.

It's because they believe they are entitled to it. They believe that god has a manifest destiny for America. American fundamentalists remind me of Mars worshippers.

Omar
10/30/2005 11:10pm,
The Cthuloid version of "god" is another way of explaining it. Roughly, if there was an intelligence so incredibly all powerfull and all knowing on that scale, the real question is, "Why would he/she/it even give a ****?"

God could torture us the way we do to ants just because we are bored. Take a magnifying glass and be entertained by how focusing the suns rays on the poor critter makes it squirm in a combination of terror and confusion anyone? How about picking the legs off a spider just out of idle curiosity to see how it would walk with only 4 legs. And we can be benevalant saviors on occasion too if it strikes our fancy. Sometimes kids even create ant farms and let the little buggers do their thing. We go so far as to help them out at times, bringing in the appropriate soil and food sources.

If God was essentially as anthropomorphic as some like to present him/her then that's how you could explain most of that ****.

haughty
10/31/2005 3:27am,
A fairly exhaustive logical treatise

Hardly that.

Why should so-called "Christian leaders," who already have an excess of television air time, want to appear with some guy who wishes to debunk Christianity?

Bang!
10/31/2005 1:05pm,
People who already believe in Christianity are the ones tuning in. It's the non-believers who are problematic. And that's who you could address with this type of broadcast. If you had something that you beleived to be both logically consistent and funamental to everyone's salvation, then you would be remiss in your duty as a Christian to not attempt to increase your audience/market share.