PDA

View Full Version : Frog sweat kills HIV

Pages : [1] 2

Leodom
10/28/2005 1:47pm,
Here's an interesting scientific discovery. Skin secretions from some species of frogs in Australia have been found to kill HIV and prevent the virus from infecting T-cells.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051021/NEWS07/510210406/1024/NEWS

I can see it now, "K-Y Jelly, now with frog sweat"

Knightmare
10/28/2005 1:49pm,
you left out the big MAY word.

Frog sweat MAY kill HIV.

Leodom
10/28/2005 1:51pm,
In the study, researchers took healthy T cells and exposed them to HIV. Then they added the frog secretions, or peptides, to see whether they would prevent the cells from being infected. They did — 99% of the time.

"The peptides were able to inactivate the virus within minutes," Unutmaz said. "They were very potent."

Knightmare
10/28/2005 2:00pm,
Lava inactes the virus in seconds. Get my point?

Leodom
10/28/2005 2:03pm,
A vaginal cream made of lava.

That would be tough to market.

Neildo
10/28/2005 2:07pm,
But they can **** you up...

http://www.bbspot.com/Images/News_Features/2000/10/toad_lick.jpg (http://www.bbspot.com/news/2000/10/toad_lick.html)

Well, toads can.

Knightmare
10/28/2005 2:32pm,
Frog sweat will not kill you.

In large quantities it can.

xingyifa
10/28/2005 3:47pm,
1. Some secretions are extremely toxic... ("peptides" just means amino acids linked to form part of or an entire protein BTW...)
2. In vitro analysis is radically different from in vivo trials. These results may hold promise but are far from conclusive.
3. None of you should start molesting frogs to prevent STD's...I shouldn't have to say it but on this board you never know...

Poop Loops
10/28/2005 3:51pm,
Oh???

You can drown in it if there is a lot of it, I think he means.

PL

xingyifa
10/28/2005 3:55pm,
Tribes in new guinea and south america are known for coating arrow tips with small amounts of secretion from dart frogs and other native amphibians...a wound from these arrows would contain enough poison to kill several men...obviously not all frogs are this dangerous so...*shrug*

xingyifa
10/28/2005 4:05pm,
Of course...even the garden variety toad secretes things that are mildly toxic to us...it varies quite a bit I'm sure
That being said, in order to cure HIV, these secretions are going to have to be delivered all over the body which means they are going to be in a fat soluble form. This means even if the **** works, the cure could be much worse than the disease in the forseeable future.

xingyifa
10/28/2005 4:10pm,
The poisons are secreted through the skin in both examples I gave. Not being an expert in amphibian biology, I can't lecture about how toxic frogs in general are or are not to humans...I do know a bit about biochem though and I can tell you that introducing potential frog toxins in vivo the way that would be necessary to denature/deactivate HIV is not something we'll be able to do anytime soon...too many variables to get real excited thus far.

bloody wanker
10/28/2005 6:50pm,
The poisons are secreted through the skin in both examples I gave. Not being an expert in amphibian biology, I can't lecture about how toxic frogs in general are or are not to humans...I do know a bit about biochem though and I can tell you that introducing potential frog toxins in vivo the way that would be necessary to denature/deactivate HIV is not something we'll be able to do anytime soon...too many variables to get real excited thus far.
BASIC TOXICOLOGY: everything can be toxic. even water. toxicity/efficacity depends on the concentration.

if it works, there'll certainly be ways to get in such a formulation that it gets to be where it needs to be. hell, they are already talking about a vaginal cream. sounds pragmatic for me.

2 toxins everyone knows: curare, botox. another example: poison from bees against "reuma" (don't know how to say it in english)

Cassius
10/28/2005 8:35pm,
In large quantities it can.
http://www.muppetcentral.com/_images/muppets/beaker_buff.jpg
NOT IF ROID-RAGE BEAKER HAS ANYTHING TO SAY ABOUT IT!

P.S. -- Knightmare, while this is true just based on the fact that ANYTHING in large enough quantities can kill you (water, even), it is not relevant to this article or this thread in general. The letter of the law says you are right, but the spirit of it says you should probably stop arguing out of your ass.

odorblocker
10/28/2005 8:55pm,
Would people with HIV will be able to afford this stuff, even if it works?

Cassius
10/28/2005 9:06pm,
Would people with HIV will be able to afford this stuff, even if it works?First, someone would have to come up with a treatment based on this information. Then, they would have to get it approved by the FDA.

Who knows what exactly can and will be done with the information, so there is no real way to predict cost.