PDA

View Full Version : Halloween Fun (for the kids)

Jaguar Wong
10/28/2005 1:45am,
Here's my first attempt at a non-standard jack-o-lantern. I usually draw some funky eyes, nose and mouth and just cut it out with a large knife, but this year I got one of those pumpkin masters carving kits (those $3 disposable ones), drew my own template (because the kids wanted Jack Skellington instead of Godzilla), and just gave it a shot.

The photo's bad because I had to take it with the flash off, and I'm not a professional photographer.

http://www.brian-manning.com/images/Misc/pumpkin_skellington.jpg

I put the food post icon because it's a pumpkin.

Method2Madness
10/28/2005 9:21am,
dude thats a grea jacko lantern.

Deliciousness
10/28/2005 2:51pm,
I put the food post icon because it's a pumpkin.

I lol'd

But that is one bad ass jack o' lantern.
How long did it take ?

Jaguar Wong
10/28/2005 4:00pm,
I lol'd

But that is one bad ass jack o' lantern.
How long did it take ?

It took a while to draw the stupid thing (I drew it on a piece of paper then transfered it to the pumpkin with that perforating tool they provide). I spent like an hour with my sketchbook just figuring out what to do, then when I finally figured it out, I drew the final template in 20 minutes.

The carving was about three hours (including cleaning the pumpkin, cutting the skullcap off and gutting it with an icecream scoop). I never used those carving saws before, so I took my time to make sure I was doing it right. I got the head done in an hour and a half (I at least wanted the kids there for that part), then when I got them to bed, I finished the neck and collar and cleaned up the edges.

I think I'll have to try more than one pumpkin next year...with the Bullshido Bull and whoever the forum nemesis is (Phil, Ashida, or some newcomer).

jnp
10/28/2005 4:11pm,
The pumpkin carving fu is strong in this one.

lifetime
10/30/2005 4:22am,
That is a GREAT jack-o-lantern.

Jaguar Wong
10/30/2005 9:59pm,
I think I carved it too early. I thought it would be good for a few days, but living in a desert where it's still close to 80 degrees during the day (dry) isn't so great for pumpkins. All the little portuding parts are shriveling up, so he looks all gummy now. No one knew what it was at my party yesterday. Oh well, live and learn. I hope he's at least presentable tomorrow night.