PDA

View Full Version : Wanderlei Silva to heavyweight in 2006?

Multitask
10/25/2005 9:13pm,
Rumors are strong that Silva is going to be a PRIDE heavyweight in 2006, leaving the LHW division to teammates the Rua brothers. I'm assuming he'll get a couple of tune-up fights, then a rematch with CroCop. The question is, assuming Fedor remains champion/undefeated, who else do you think he will have to go through if he is to get a shot at the championship? Do you think he has a genuine shot at all? Personally, I would love to see a Silva/CroCop rematch as well as a Silva/Fedor match. My money would be on Fedor at this point, but you never know in MMA.

Knightmare
10/25/2005 9:28pm,
We've already seen that Wanderlei can't handle even a top 10 heavyweight(Hunt), let alone Cro Cop or Fedor and maybe even Sergei.

Basically, Fedor will anally rape him.

chaosexmachina
10/26/2005 3:50am,
Yes... As a relatively new Fedor fan, I firmly believe he will destroy Silva at heavyweight.

_Mick_
10/26/2005 1:12pm,
We've already seen that Wanderlei can't handle even a top 10 heavyweight(Hunt), let alone Cro Cop or Fedor and maybe even Sergei.

Basically, Fedor will anally rape him.

in his fight with crocop, silva did pretty well. some people say silva won the match. granted, that was a few years ago.
in his fight with hunt, didn't hunt win via split decision? i haven't seen the fight, but if it was a split decision in had to have been pretty close.

i don't think it would be smart for silva to move up to heavyweight. fedor would maul him.

Knightmare
10/26/2005 1:28pm,
in his fight with crocop, silva did pretty well. some people say silva won the match. granted, that was a few years ago.
in his fight with hunt, didn't hunt win via split decision? i haven't seen the fight, but if it was a split decision in had to have been pretty close.

i don't think it would be smart for silva to move up to heavyweight. fedor would maul him.

No he didn't come anywhere near beating Cro Cop. It was ruled a draw because they had a prematch stipulation that if it didn't end in a KO or Submission it would be a draw. Also Cro Cop dropped down in weight to fight him. Cro Cop at his natural fight weight would demolish him. Did you see Wanderlei's body after the match? Cro tore it up.

Mark Hunt beat his ass pretty badly too.

PirateJon
10/26/2005 1:34pm,
I thought it was about even but I was leaning towards Silva - hell, Hunt looked a bit suprised he won.

He'd still get owned though at HW. Size matters.

Knightmare
10/26/2005 1:35pm,
Someone post a GIF of the Atomic butt drop.

Cassius
10/26/2005 3:19pm,
Mark Hunt beat his ass pretty badly too.I watched the fight on PPV, but I haven't seen it recently. I don't remember Hunt "beating his ass" badly at all. I remember it not being a particulary good fight for either one of them, and the judges scoring based (in my opinion) on Wanderlei fighting from his back a lot. It was a split decision, too.

Focus:
I think the most important thing for Wanderlei to do is take some time and decide how much he wants to continue fighting. His last few fights (starting with Hunt, in my opinion) seemed like he was fighting not to lose instead of going for the win. I think we can all agree that he hasn't been the "same" Wanderlei since the beginning of the GP at the very least. His aggression is keyed down (Even against Nakamura he just didn't seem like the Axe Murderer), his heart doesn't seem in it, and overall, he just seem like he "wants it" anymore.

I think that he could easily regain his aggression, spirit, fire, whatever, and dominate at LHW again or move up and try his chances at heavyweight. One thing I don't want to see is him moving up to heavyweight to fight Nog, CroCop (who I feel is overrated anyway), Kharitonov, Barnett, etc immediately. If he's going to move up to heavyweight, they should throw him in with other people his experience level at heavyweight (so 2 or 3 fights in Pride). Give him a chance to get comfortable, as he will be fairly small for a heavyweight.

On the other hand, I see too much domination in one weight class by an organization like Chute Boxe that discourages its fighters from fighting each other to be a real problem.

Multitask
10/26/2005 8:13pm,
I think the rationale is to put Silva in the HW division so that the Rua brothers, particularly Shogun, can make the LHW division theirs. I think Rua is the champion to come and I agree, it looks like Silva may be losing his fire for LHW work. The fight with Arona was BORING stuff. I agree, Fedor would have to be a huge favorite against Silva, but as garbanzobean said, he would have to take some tune-up fights in the HW class before fighting any top 10 guys. I'm sure CroCop would like to see him again and it would be interested to see what someone like Kharitonov might do with him, as garbanzobean also alluded to. I just can't see him staying in the LHW division at this point, given Rua's successes and the previously mentioned team conflicts generated because of it. Maybe he will retire instead of moving up?

Judah Maccabee
10/26/2005 8:35pm,
Mark Hunt's victory over Silva was a split decision that could have gone either way. Silva was outweighed by at least 60lbs (200 vs 275, I think) and had to switch from fighting an equally sized grappler to a far larger, world class striker. Granted, Hunt took the fight on 3 days notice after coming off of ankle surgery, but tale of the tape shows a fairly disproportionate matchup. Hunt landed a greater number of single shots that knocked down Wanderlei and had an amazing keylock escape, but the match was fairly even, IMO.

A rematch between those two would be incredibly exciting.

chaosexmachina
10/27/2005 12:23am,
Yeah, I need that gif... Where is the atomic butt drop!?